October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What games are you BUYING? ARCHIVE

More
02 Feb 2015 15:19 #196700 by ChristopherMD

Sagrilarus wrote:

Mad Dog wrote: Playing Wings Of War this weekend . . . I ordered the WoG WW1 updated rules set, 2 of the game mats, and a second Albatross. Next month I'll probably pick up a bomber or two.

Where did you order from? This stuff is hard to find at the moment, in spite of new plane sets coming out recently.

thewarstore.com
The topic has been locked.
More
05 Feb 2015 06:34 #196905 by Chaz
Years ago, I gave away my copy of Chaos in the Old World to a buddy. Now I'm feeling like I want it on my forever shelf when it eventually goes out of print, so I re-bought a copy last night. I'm psyched that it's the first edition with the subdued brown artwork and not the new version with Nurgle.

While I was at the store, I was planning on getting XCOM, but was thwarted by them being sold out. They did have one copy of the Robinson Crusoe expansion though, so I grabbed that. I didn't even realize it was out yet.
More
05 Feb 2015 06:38 - 05 Feb 2015 08:18 #196906 by Rafael Silva
Bought Avengers vs. X-Men Dice Masters, I have high hopes this will be a hit with my friends, I'm not so sure with my wife, is there any cheap way to get a bunch of commons?
Last edit: 05 Feb 2015 08:18 by Rafael Silva.
More
05 Feb 2015 08:11 #196907 by Gary Sax

Chaz wrote: Years ago, I gave away my copy of Chaos in the Old World to a buddy. Now I'm feeling like I want it on my forever shelf when it eventually goes out of print, so I re-bought a copy last night. I'm psyched that it's the first edition with the subdued brown artwork and not the new version with Nurgle.

While I was at the store, I was planning on getting XCOM, but was thwarted by them being sold out. They did have one copy of the Robinson Crusoe expansion though, so I grabbed that. I didn't even realize it was out yet.

Is there a difference in artwork? Huh, I didn't know that.
More
05 Feb 2015 08:19 #196908 by Legomancer
I was in my local(-ish) game/comic shop last night dropping of two boxes of comics to get credit for. While there, I noticed that there is a new edition of San Juan out with the new buildings expansion! I've been bitching for them to do this for years, so I bought it on sight. It's at least the third time I've bought San Juan, and I'm looking forward to revisiting it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rafael Silva
More
05 Feb 2015 08:29 #196910 by Rafael Silva

Legomancer wrote: I was in my local(-ish) game/comic shop last night dropping of two boxes of comics to get credit for. While there, I noticed that there is a new edition of San Juan out with the new buildings expansion! I've been bitching for them to do this for years, so I bought it on sight. It's at least the third time I've bought San Juan, and I'm looking forward to revisiting it.

I heard Race for the Galaxy feels similar to San Juan, they are really that close?
More
05 Feb 2015 09:17 #196914 by charlest

Gary Sax wrote:

Chaz wrote: Years ago, I gave away my copy of Chaos in the Old World to a buddy. Now I'm feeling like I want it on my forever shelf when it eventually goes out of print, so I re-bought a copy last night. I'm psyched that it's the first edition with the subdued brown artwork and not the new version with Nurgle.

Yes, the original North American version just has the name on a blackish/brownish/greenish box. Kind of timeless and simple. The new version has a big Nurgle beast thing with full-blown art. 1st edition was much better but also didn't catch your eye on the shelf.
More
05 Feb 2015 09:49 #196919 by Legomancer

Rafael Silva wrote:

Legomancer wrote: I was in my local(-ish) game/comic shop last night dropping of two boxes of comics to get credit for. While there, I noticed that there is a new edition of San Juan out with the new buildings expansion! I've been bitching for them to do this for years, so I bought it on sight. It's at least the third time I've bought San Juan, and I'm looking forward to revisiting it.

I heard Race for the Galaxy feels similar to San Juan, they are really that close?

They are certainly related. You're building a tableau, first to 12 wins, cards represent everything, roles are selected, etc.

The major differences, however:

1) The actions don't reset until the end of the round. If I select "Trade" on my turn, then it may not be available for your turn. You'll be able to do it when I choose it, but not get the benefit. Therefore, unlike Race, there's an element of denial when choosing a role. If you build when the other guy has no cards, not only can he not use it that turn, he may not be able to use it for a couple more turns. It's not a huge amount of interaction, but one of my biggest complaints when RFTG first came out was that it removed even this small bit.

2) It's a lot more streamlined. The buildings are all fairly self-explanatory and you don't have to navigate a bunch of icons and weird notes and exceptions. None of this dividing phases into two different actions stuff. The original game was also limited -- there weren't a whole lot of paths to pursue -- which is why I'm glad to see it including the expansion now. Previously that was only available in the Alea Treasure Chest, a/k/a The San Juan Expansion and some stuff no one wants.

3) No VP chips. The buildings score VP, but there isn't any additional generation of VP tokens. In the Trade action you sell goods which get you more cards, period.

I was a RFTG hater for a while and I've come around some. I like it and can appreciate what it does to some extent, but I still like San Juan better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney
More
05 Feb 2015 09:59 - 05 Feb 2015 09:59 #196921 by Gary Sax

charlest wrote:

Gary Sax wrote:

Yes, the original North American version just has the name on a blackish/brownish/greenish box. Kind of timeless and simple. The new version has a big Nurgle beast thing with full-blown art. 1st edition was much better but also didn't catch your eye on the shelf.

I'll have to check which version I have. There is some absolutely disgusting artwork in the game. I don't have a problem with it because I know the source material well, but I could see it limiting who it comes out with. On the other hand, I like that it sort of sets the tone for the sort of game it is.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2015 09:59 by Gary Sax.
More
05 Feb 2015 10:10 #196923 by SuperflyPete
I had a 1st Edition copy and the box art was, indeed, subdued and much more "sinister". I wish I never sold it.
More
05 Feb 2015 10:13 #196924 by charlest
Yeah it's much more Aleister Crowley and less GWAR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax
More
05 Feb 2015 10:18 #196926 by Gary Sax
You're earning those Thank You's, charlest. That's perfect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest
More
05 Feb 2015 11:30 #196931 by Egg Shen
I recently pulled the trigger on Pathfinder the Adventure Card Game and Firefly. After doing some digging I think I'm gonna love Pathfinder. Firefly seems to get plenty of love on here and I'm a fan of the show. Pretty excited to try them both out.

I also picked up Ares reprint of the old game Inkognito. I've had my eye on this one since it was reprinted but never bought it. I'm a huge fan of deduction style games and this one seems interesting enough. Looks like something I can play with my family.

That San Juan reprint is high on my list right now. I've always wanted to try that game but it was OOP for a quite a while. Glad to see it back in print and with the expansion cards. Good stuff.
More
05 Feb 2015 13:05 #196934 by Msample

Rafael Silva wrote: Bought Avengers vs. X-Men Dice Masters, I have high hopes this will be a hit with my friends, I'm not so sure with my wife, is there any cheap way to get a bunch of commons?

Check out Ebay. Hard core gamers buy multiple gravity feeds trying to complete sets ( esp the starter dice for high value characters like Beast and Johnny Storm and Green Goblin ) and then resell the extras - you often see complete sets of commons/uncommons for pretty cheap, much cheaper than buying blind boosters. The only thing may be that you won't get say 4 dice per character, but at least you'll have the cards. For non OP gaming, a couple dice per character is fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Rafael Silva
More
05 Feb 2015 15:56 #196940 by RobertB
I bought Spartacus last week, and I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's the gladiator-on-gladiator action.

Amazon was selling it for $25, which seemed like a decent price for it. The coworkers and Saturday gamers might like it, but I'm not so sure about the family gamers. It wouldn't be the R-rated cards that would chase them off, so much as that they're not big on combat.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.533 seconds