October 09, 2023
2548 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What games are you BUYING? ARCHIVE

More
26 Dec 2014 09:29 #193338 by charlest
Got a few things for Christmas:

Legendary: Encounters
King of New York
Wiz-War Bestial Forces

Will be interesting to see if I feel I need both King of New York and KoT in my collection. Excited to try Legendary: Encounters and more Wiz-War is always stellar.
The topic has been locked.
More
01 Jan 2015 12:51 #193753 by Legomancer
Based on Charlie's review, I was going to treat myself to Xia, but it's (a) out of stock and (b) stupid expensive.

It started life on Kickstarter and unlocked a bunch of crazy production upgrades, so now it's stuck with dumb shit like metal coins and pre-painted miniatures and a price tag that ain't gonna happen. (Though I guess it IS out of stock.)

I don't see the point in adding all this nonsense to a Kickstarted game just because it's raising more money than it intended. If that's the case, good for you, you made something people want and got paid for it! No game is better because of thicker cardboard, metal dice, solid platinum starting player tokens, or the other stupid shit that gets added to KS games. Christ, just as people for some reason don't like paper money, I don't want to carry around a box of metal coins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, Gary Sax, wadenels, Gregarius
More
02 Jan 2015 09:14 #193818 by charlest

Legomancer wrote: Based on Charlie's review, I was going to treat myself to Xia, but it's (a) out of stock and (b) stupid expensive.

It started life on Kickstarter and unlocked a bunch of crazy production upgrades, so now it's stuck with dumb shit like metal coins and pre-painted miniatures and a price tag that ain't gonna happen. (Though I guess it IS out of stock.)

I don't see the point in adding all this nonsense to a Kickstarted game just because it's raising more money than it intended. If that's the case, good for you, you made something people want and got paid for it! No game is better because of thicker cardboard, metal dice, solid platinum starting player tokens, or the other stupid shit that gets added to KS games. Christ, just as people for some reason don't like paper money, I don't want to carry around a box of metal coins.

I get where you're coming from but I definitely think many would disagree with you. A guy I played with immediately bought the game and his favorite aspect was the metal coins and prepainted ships.

The prepainted ships also serve a functional purpose, as finding your specific ship in a bag of grey minis would be difficult. With each ship being unique mechanically it would be a huge pain.

Part of the reason it's so expensive is because the creator promised he would only sell it at MSRP for 6 months. This will probably be in the $60 range in the summer. CSI may keep the price jacked up though if demand is high since they've done that before for stuff like Robinson Crusoe and Terra Mystica.

It's available on Amazon by the way:
www.amazon.com/Far-Off-Games-FOG1700-Xia...&sr=8-1&keywords=xia
More
02 Jan 2015 09:45 #193823 by Legomancer
Metal coins are the kind of thing that, when they're there you (or someone, not really me) say, "Oh wow, nice coins!" But if they're not there, nobody really says, "This game is pretty good, but it would be better if the coins were metal and it cost $5-10 more." The prepainted minis thing can be done different ways, but I'm the one boardgame nerd who doesn't spooge at the sight of plastic on a board, so I recognize that I've lost that battle.

My main thing is that, having played umpteen KS games with grade A parts and zero lasting impressions, why continue throwing this money down a hole? As with KS games that go for the Euroglyphics look for an "international" feel when they don't ship outside the US, if you're already going to the Internet with your hat in hand, maybe worry about the worldwide audience and deluxe edition AFTER you've confirmed that you have a game worth playing twice.
More
02 Jan 2015 09:59 #193827 by Michael Barnes
I've got a piggy bank full of REAL METAL COINS, not interested in buying more. Especially when they have no actual monetary value. Play money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, stoic
More
14 Jan 2015 11:34 - 14 Jan 2015 11:35 #195089 by Gary Sax
Had a big CSI gift certificate...

Theseus
Clash of Cultures Expansion
Fields of Arle (yes, and fuck you. I like Agricola and only ever play it 2 players or 1 player).

I need to get rid of some games off my shelf, it's almost full.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2015 11:35 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, stoic
More
14 Jan 2015 13:08 - 14 Jan 2015 13:13 #195118 by Mr. White
Just landed a like new (played once or twice) copy of the Eurogames edition of Condottiere for about $30 shipped.

I'm very excited about this.

It bumped off a copy of Mayfair's CE (with More CE) for the same price.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2015 13:13 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic
More
18 Jan 2015 23:16 - 18 Jan 2015 23:35 #195410 by Cranberries
I just repurchased prince of chaos for ten bucks. It's a fiddly fantasy themed game similar to Manoeuvre but not really. The author rewrote the rules which seem to vastly improve the game, but by then it was too late. It has tunneling death worms.

www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33857/pr...chaos-battle-tae-orn

It has formations, unit fatigue, all kinds of fun. From the designer:

Deathwyrms, Bloodmares and Flying Terrors are far more fun to me than tripping over hobbits, wood elves and unicorns all the time. I mean, when was the last time you uttered, “Eeek, it’s a fairy! Retreeeeat!”?

Last edit: 18 Jan 2015 23:35 by Cranberries.
More
18 Jan 2015 23:30 #195413 by blatz
Got Kemet and Claustrophobia with the De Profundis expansion for Christmas. Also snagged a copy of Nexus Ops with the day-glo mini's for 25 bucks.
More
18 Jan 2015 23:37 #195415 by stoic

craniac wrote: I just repurchased prince of chaos for ten bucks. It's a fiddly fantasy themed game similar to Manoeuvre but not really. The author rewrote the rules which seem to vastly improve the game, but by then it was too late. It has tunneling death worms.

www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33857/pr...chaos-battle-tae-orn

It has formations, unit fatigue, all kinds of fun. From the designer:

Deathwyrms, Bloodmares and Flying Terrors are far more fun to me than tripping over hobbits, wood elves and unicorns all the time. I mean, when was the last time you uttered, “Eeek, it’s a fairy! Retreeeeat!”?

Looks interesting.

archive.org/details/BookShelfGamesBSGEp26-PrinceofChaos
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries
More
25 Jan 2015 10:07 #196030 by Legomancer
Bought Roll for the Galaxy and even though all I've done so far is read the rules, I can't see why you'd play this instead of the card game. Hopefully it will hit the table today and be worth it.
More
25 Jan 2015 13:14 #196047 by Bull Nakano

Legomancer wrote: Bought Roll for the Galaxy and even though all I've done so far is read the rules, I can't see why you'd play this instead of the card game. Hopefully it will hit the table today and be worth it.

because it's newer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Legomancer, Msample, lj1983, wadenels, DukeofChutney
More
02 Feb 2015 14:38 #196695 by ChristopherMD
Playing Wings Of War this weekend reminded me how much I like that game. My friends always like it when it comes out too, so I know this game can get played more. I have the Famous Aces box and 7 miniatures. I ordered the WoG WW1 updated rules set, 2 of the game mats, and a second Albatross. Next month I'll probably pick up a bomber or two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus
More
02 Feb 2015 15:14 #196697 by Sagrilarus

Mad Dog wrote: Playing Wings Of War this weekend . . . I ordered the WoG WW1 updated rules set, 2 of the game mats, and a second Albatross. Next month I'll probably pick up a bomber or two.

Where did you order from? This stuff is hard to find at the moment, in spite of new plane sets coming out recently.
More
02 Feb 2015 15:15 #196698 by Sagrilarus

Bull Nakano wrote:

Legomancer wrote: Bought Roll for the Galaxy and even though all I've done so far is read the rules, I can't see why you'd play this instead of the card game. Hopefully it will hit the table today and be worth it.

because it's newer.

I found the two of them to be more or less the same.

S.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.585 seconds