October 09, 2023
2699 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2865 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What games are you BUYING? ARCHIVE

More
03 Nov 2014 16:46 #189853 by VonTush
Those gripes I do agree with.
Coming from Star Trek with each card having unique art the cards do look very bland. The stands for the troops, yeah I'd agree...A base for the mini, which is inserted into converter piece, which is then placed into the movement stand...That is a disappointment. And the crew-less Ballista, I can't argue with that one.

All things I agree with so no worries on the nitpicking.

To be honest, I bought the base set to try to secure my place in running the tourney, and hopefully get the TO prize...But the shop owner was talking about wanting to play...So if I get the prize for running I'm going to take a very slow purchase schedule. If I have to be competitive to get the prize I'll have to reexamine things.
The topic has been locked.
More
03 Nov 2014 17:00 #189855 by Hex Sinister
You know I just needed to talk myself out of buying it lol. With ARMADA coming up... I have to choose my battles carefully. That fucker is going to kill me. I'm already behind in X-Wong and my two damn LCG's. FFG has claws in me with poison, bleed, and stun tokens.
More
03 Nov 2014 22:19 #189880 by Applejack
Placed an order for more wargames to CoolStuffInc. earlier today. Got myself Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer because I have heard good things, and it's supposedly not difficult to play, which I tend to look for in wargames nowadays. Also, Conflict of Heroes: Price of Honour - Poland 1939, which should upgrade the counters for my 1st edition Awakening the Bear!, and it was low in stock (2 copies left, now just 1) and who knows when Academy Games will reprint it. Finally, Pocket Battles: Macedonians vs Persians, because 300. Plus some cards sleeves and a couple deck boxes.
More
05 Nov 2014 13:00 #190016 by Almalik
Found a reasonably good deal on Wiz-war plus both expansions - I've been meaning to pick it up for a long time. Added the C3k expansion for Cyclades/Kemet.
More
06 Nov 2014 08:42 #190082 by Scott_F
Placed a decent sized order recently.

Maria. I've played a friend's copy twice and loved it. I'm not sure I can convince others to actually play something this dry but I hope to.

Manhattan Project & Viticulture. Both worker placement games. I played Agricola for the first time a month ago and just HATED it. The farming theme was a big minus as was the focus on feeding your family. These two I've played before and liked. Manhattan Project with the expansion so there is more screwage with rockets, and Viticulture for non-conflict.

Cyclades: Hades. Add more conflict to Cyclades and open up the game a bit more. Still haven't played this one yet.
More
10 Nov 2014 00:59 #190329 by Bull Nakano
Just landed space hulk 3rd edition for $75 shipped! Thank you space hulk 4th edition!
More
11 Nov 2014 09:03 #190432 by engelstein
Finally picked up Hyperboria, which I'm looking forward to trying. Also bought (and played) Machi Koro, which my wife and I enjoyed. I crushed her beneath the weight of my two cheese factories.

And got an old game that I used to own but had ditched after college - Darkover, by Eon. This was inspired by my interview with Olotka, one of the designers.

Darkover is completely insane. It's a conquest game based on a Marion Zimmer Bradley setting, with psychic battles. To simulate this, combat is resolved by staring into your opponent's eyes and chanting without cracking at all. And then there are these 'ghost wind' cards. At the start of the game you write down an 'activity' that all players will need to do. One is chosen at random when a Ghost Wind comes up, and you can choose to do it or not, and gain a benefit or suffer a penalty. Again, it's supposed to simulated psychic combat by you understanding what your opponents would or would not be willing to do.

I'm not sure if I'll ever play it, but I'm happy to have it back in the fold.
More
11 Nov 2014 10:22 #190444 by stormseeker75
That sounds completely awesome, Geoff.
More
19 Nov 2014 23:34 #191066 by lj1983
Picked up clash of cultures expansion, really excited for it. I think the flgs owner wants to try clash at some point now. Also got a copy of Star Wars risk original trilogy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse
More
20 Nov 2014 00:34 #191070 by Michael Barnes
Did you pay a bunch for OT Risk? I've seen it going for quite a bit here and there. GREAT one...by far my favorite Risk game. It is the SW DoaM game you are looking for.
More
20 Nov 2014 02:02 #191074 by Sevej
I'm getting Warhammer 40,000 Conquest.
More
20 Nov 2014 07:22 - 20 Nov 2014 08:33 #191078 by lj1983

Michael Barnes wrote: Did you pay a bunch for OT Risk? I've seen it going for quite a bit here and there. GREAT one...by far my favorite Risk game. It is the SW DoaM game you are looking for.

I ended up paying $55 shipped, which is about market rate from what I've seen.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2014 08:33 by lj1983. Reason: pay, not play
More
20 Nov 2014 07:48 #191080 by JEM
Most recently, Elder Sign and Kill Shakespeare, both of which I've been playing solo to get familiar with.

I already had the Elder Sign app on my tablet, but the cardboard version feels much more satisfying to play. I much prefer it to Eldritch Horror. I think it's a lot of game for the $23 I paid for it. The setup isn't too dreadful, either.

Kill Shakespeare has taken a bit of work after getting it out of the box. Dig those card sleeves back out of the trash can. The cards were delaminating and scuffing on the first shuffle. The bonus point chits have half the numbers printed backwards, and the player influence markers are more flimsy card, when they should have been (and I replaced mine with) wooden cubes.

The game itself seems potentially excellent. Bidding, area control, mission completion "co-petitive" game that only one can win, but all can lose. A lot of scope for negotiation and temporary alliances.

But, if the reprint of Yedo is the same standard, that's going to kill that game.
More
20 Nov 2014 09:00 #191085 by Legomancer
The first expansion for Imperial Settlers, Why Can't We Be Friends? is debuting at BGGCon. Pal Rob is going and I asked him to pick me up one. Last night Ignacy tweeted that they were sold out already and I froke out because Rob was still on the plane headed there.

Could not retrieve bearer token (consumer)

Good ol' Ignacy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sevej
More
20 Nov 2014 09:58 #191095 by Sevej

Legomancer wrote: The first expansion for Imperial Settlers, Why Can't We Be Friends? is debuting at BGGCon. Pal Rob is going and I asked him to pick me up one. Last night Ignacy tweeted that they were sold out already and I froke out because Rob was still on the plane headed there.

Could not retrieve bearer token (consumer)

Good ol' Ignacy!

I found this extremely hilarious.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.979 seconds