October 09, 2023
2703 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2868 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What games are you BUYING? ARCHIVE

More
30 Oct 2014 20:06 #189611 by Sevej
I just scored a first edition BattleLore for around $6, minus the cards. Now I just need to get Epic Battlelore, which is everywhere, and Battlelore Creatures, which is as hard as fuck to get.
The topic has been locked.
More
30 Oct 2014 21:39 #189616 by Sagrilarus

Gregarius wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: Years ago we played SFB ...

What the hell is SFB?

SFB is Star Fleet Battles, a perfectly obvious acronym for anyone with experience in modern gaming. What's with you people? DO I HAVE TO SPELL OUT EVERYTHING? JFC!

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, wadenels, Gregarius
More
31 Oct 2014 10:58 #189647 by Gregarius

Sagrilarus wrote:

Gregarius wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: Years ago we played SFB ...

What the hell is SFB?

SFB is Star Fleet Battles, a perfectly obvious acronym for anyone with experience in modern gaming. What's with you people? DO I HAVE TO SPELL OUT EVERYTHING? JFC!

S.

Heh. "Modern."
More
31 Oct 2014 11:02 #189648 by stormseeker75
Well, I just bought a nice lot of X-Wing with one more lot to be purchased next Friday and I will have a significant amount of minis for under $250.
More
31 Oct 2014 11:50 #189654 by SuperflyPete
Still waiting for Beasty Bar to be available in the US. This is one of the few games I'm truly excited about.
More
31 Oct 2014 16:44 #189692 by buzz71
I just picked up Myth, and Sedition Wars, both on sale, and Fairy Tale.
I'm looking forward to trying these out.
More
31 Oct 2014 16:51 #189693 by charlest

buzz71 wrote: I just picked up Myth, and Sedition Wars, both on sale, and Fairy Tale.
I'm looking forward to trying these out.

I'd recommend the fan-made updated rulebook for Myth found on BGG. The rulebook that comes with the game is missing some things and isn't quite clear on everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: buzz71
More
03 Nov 2014 14:31 #189832 by VonTush

Brewmiester wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

Brewmiester wrote: Picked up one each of the initial wave of Dungeons & Dragons Attack Wing.

What's the production package on these? Come fully assembled? Initial color? Quality of plastic?

S.

They are fully assembled other than attaching to bases and mounting pegs.

The initial colors are fine but definitely not as nice as the displays I saw at Gen Con. Part of the reason I'm thinking of some touch up. I do like the animation of the dragon sculpts but the ground troops are less then inspiring so far.

The plastic is pretty soft and bendy. Once again ok on the dragons but the warpy spears on the elves are pretty disappointing.

Well, I may have made a mistake, and I bought the Starter Set...

The dragons look pretty good. Out of the two starter sets though my options were one where the Blue Dragon's wing was bent very far forward, and another where the Red Dragon's wing was pushed back. I went with the too far forward blue. Opening up the pack I saw the Bronze Dragon had the tips of the wings pushed through the plastic so at the end there's a little 'z' bend.

Overall they look pretty good though. And I think the very average and pedestrian components in the rest of the game make the models seem a lot nicer.

Previously I skimmed/glanced at the rules online but really started reading last night. What really surprised me was just how much the level of complexity jumped up compared to the previous two versions of the Flight Path System. And also I got a feeling of learning from their mistakes of Star Trek and seeing some changes which I feel are for the better in this game.

Overall color me impressed so far. And with luck I'll have a game scheduled for next weekend.
More
03 Nov 2014 15:02 #189836 by stormseeker75
The dragon's claws are deep in him already.
More
03 Nov 2014 15:26 #189839 by VonTush
Yep!
I've always been a miniatures gamer, but moved away and towards boardgames for various reasons - Modeling; Painting; Constant Rules Revisions...Among other things. But this recent run of boardgames/miniature game hybrids, I'm in my own Golden Age of Gaming!

So these games have made it a lot easier to ignore some of the current hot trends as far as board games go as well.
More
03 Nov 2014 15:28 #189840 by Hex Sinister
Random thoughts on D&D AW:

To anyone who buys that ballista- I shed a tiny tear for you.

Looks like a storage nightmare. Not as bad as Scape but worse than X-Wong.

Overall components look so prototypey.

Wave 2 already announced?! Geez.

Tiamat $55.99?!

I cannot climb this mountain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic
More
03 Nov 2014 15:32 #189841 by Michael Barnes
How do you store your X-Wong?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister
More
03 Nov 2014 15:36 #189842 by VonTush
Tiamat is the Grand Prize for the first Organized Play series.
Kind of like the DS9 and Giant Cube for Star Trek, both of which are getting a retail release at $99.95 MSRP.

So...Yeah, it is a miniatures game and it will take substantial monetary spending. But that one is an outlier.

Here's the thing with the miniatures though. I griped at the Star Trek minis at first for being pretty chunky and poorly painted. Now, I'm happy they are the way they are because I have all my minis in sandwich bags with their dials and ship tokens and all tossed into the same tote.

So those prototypey minis I like because I can do just that...Toss them into a box and not worry at all.
More
03 Nov 2014 15:38 #189843 by VonTush

Michael Barnes wrote: How do you store your X-Wong?

With more ass-pain.
More
03 Nov 2014 16:24 #189848 by Hex Sinister
VT, it's stuff like the ugly base tokens and "placeholder" upgrade card art that stick out. Minor details but for a premium priced game system it's kind of sad. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, it's just so... WizKids.

Then there's that ballista. Wow, free promo please. Yeah, we're paying for other components as well as design and *cough* playtesting but that's a two cent model with a nine cent paint job. Terrible. They couldn't have packaged this with another hero or at least given you two shitty ballistas? Yeesh.

I'm nitpicking, sorry.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.380 seconds