October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2730 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? ARCHIVE

More
06 Sep 2009 23:49 #40638 by Not Sure
Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

I don't get the love for Sweeney Todd here. I thought it was Burton's worst film (tied with Batman Returns). However the two I think are his best, Mars Attacks! and Sleepy Hollow, haven't gotten much love here.

Put me on the plus side for both of those. Mars Attacks was just good goofy fun, and Sleepy Hollow had the good things I expect out of a Burton movie, minus a lot of the stuff that rubs me the wrong way. Sweeney Todd I liked for the same reasons, even if it wasn't a technically excellent musical.
The topic has been locked.
More
07 Sep 2009 10:25 #40654 by ZMan
Mars Attacks: *shudders*

Me and 12 friends went to see this, big smiles on our faces, excited as all get out that we were going to have a blast. We were giddy through the credits, laughed at the burning cow and then...nothing. Practically no other laughs. The only good thing were the Krispy Kreme doughnuts afterwards.

Sleep Hollow: watchable. Nothing really great here, despite an excellent cast.
More
07 Sep 2009 18:02 #40674 by Jason Lutes
I have never seen a Tim Burton movie that I truly liked. Style trumps substance in everything he's done.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was so incredibly bad...
More
07 Sep 2009 18:56 #40678 by Mr Skeletor
Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

ZMan wrote:

Saw Sweeney Todd and it was ok. Really, just ok. And I love musicals - does that make me anti-F:AT :)

Grease and Moulin Rouge get a pass, Chicago scrapes through as do some of the old MGM's, the rest can go hang out with the Eurogamers.

Rocky Horror and Blues Brothers are fine too.

Agreed, though I never thought of Blues brothers as a musical.
More
08 Sep 2009 03:28 #40700 by Citadel
Went to see Inglorious Basterds. Straight after I thought it was entertaining but mediocre. Now I think it was glossy pap. I thought Kill Bill was style over substance but this new film takes it to a whole new level.

If you have read old World War 2 comics, you have seen it all before without so much swearing and self indulgent references to other movies. As pulp, this kind of story is an enjoyable romp and a great product of a certain time period. As a $70 million dollar movie trading on Tarantino's reputation and Pitt's bankability, it is a new low, degrading to the memory of the millions who died in that war. If you want to see an edgy film about war, do yourself a favour and go rent The Battle for Algiers instead.
More
08 Sep 2009 16:33 #40748 by Black Barney
saw Extract. A solid 6/10. Total passable movie with no depth. Jason Bateman is really good (the pot-smoking scene had me laughing so hard, i was crying) and I could NOT stop looking at Mila Kunis' cleavage the entire movie. Her button-down shirt was unbuttoned so far that I would have been fired the first day she works for the same company as me.
More
08 Sep 2009 18:26 #40773 by Not Sure
Bonus.

I'm planning on seeing Extract because, obviously, I rather enjoy Mike Judge movies. In my opinion, they grow on you after the first watching. I can't imagine life without Office Space and Idiocracy now.
More
08 Sep 2009 22:55 #40807 by ubarose
I love Office Space. Whenever someone asks me what I do for a living, I tell them to watch this movie. I even had the Bobs for a while. Now I just have one Bob.
More
09 Sep 2009 03:44 #40821 by Turek
if you liked Office Space try The Boss of It All
More
09 Sep 2009 11:32 #40840 by Michael Barnes
Whoa...somebody liked MARS ATTACKS? I've never heard of that happening! When I think about watching that movie again, I get nauseous.

SLEEPY HOLLOW was just garbage. He tried REALLY hard to get that Hammer sensibility but thanks to the screenplay it turned out more like a Scooby Doo episode in early American drag. The production design was great though. But you can't get around lines like "You must be a witch, for you have bewitched me".

Citadel- I think you saw INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS wrong. It's _not_ a war movie at all. It's not about WWII in any way, shape, or form. It's about movies, and unlike other Tarantino pictures the endless homages are used to support that theme rather than just to parade out "cool" and esoteric references.

Watched SYMPATHY FOR LADY VENGEANCE the other day...holy crap, that's a harsh picture. Not as good as OLDBOY, but a good example of modern Korean cinema.
More
09 Sep 2009 12:07 #40846 by Not Sure
Michael Barnes wrote:

Whoa...somebody liked MARS ATTACKS? I've never heard of that happening! When I think about watching that movie again, I get nauseous.

I'm sorry, I must have logged into Fortress: AmeriFilmSnoot by mistake. Is it not Trash? Does it not have Tom Jones cast as a man of action? Big-skull aliens? Mars Attacks isn't going to change anyone's life, but I stand by what I said before: "goofy fun". I enjoyed it because of what it was, though I'd never bring it up outside of "Tim Burton movies: discuss."

You're probably right about Sleepy Hollow. It was really nice to look at, and that's probably the basis of any fond memories. I'm not going to go watch either one again.
More
09 Sep 2009 14:26 #40857 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Mars Attacks is the most fun I can have watching sci-fi. It is a turn your brain off and laugh yourself silly movie. I don't get the hate, but then I think the Studio Ghibli movies are completely overrated here. They are children's movies that only adults like which says a lot to me.
More
09 Sep 2009 15:52 #40868 by Black Barney
...what the previous poster said except the exact opposite.

Mars Attacks is revoltingly bad.

Studio Ghibli is heaven.
More
09 Sep 2009 16:26 #40873 by mikoyan
I enjoyed Mars Attacks. I saw it for what it is and wasn't really expecting much more.
More
09 Sep 2009 19:24 - 09 Sep 2009 19:27 #40891 by Citadel
Michael Barnes wrote:

Citadel- I think you saw INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS wrong. It's _not_ a war movie at all. It's not about WWII in any way, shape, or form. It's about movies, and unlike other Tarantino pictures the endless homages are used to support that theme rather than just to parade out "cool" and esoteric references.

Maybe, I have been thinking about the fact that the movie is basically pro-war "America can solve all the world's problems" propaganda but then it has nazis watching a propaganda film in the middle of it. Is Tarantino really that subtle? Would that not have gone over 99% of the audience's heads? I went to see this film with five clever people and none of them read it that way. Is that not Tarantino sticking his middle finger up at his audience?

I was also troubled by the torture scene in the film - an element of almost every other film he has made. In the film Taxi to the Dark Side, Alex Gibney criticises Hollywood's portrayal of torture in recent years saying that it makes the concept of torture acceptable to the viewing audience. The more films and TV series I see with torture scenes and how torture is depicted as being the obvious choice when you want to get information from an uncooperative individual, the more I agree with him.

I think you may be giving the guy more credit than he deserves. I am not convinced that those layers of satire are there. All his films are films about film making but in the sense of lifting the bits he likes and putting them in his films, it isn't direct like The Player. I am still thinking he has made a propaganda film based on old propaganda comics. Showing nazis watching a propaganda film just seems like an after thought to say, "Yah, but it's all ironic, right?" I think he may have been sat on the idea for years and he has chosen an entirely inappropriate time to make such a film.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2009 19:27 by Citadel.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.590 seconds