October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2735 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? ARCHIVE

More
19 Aug 2009 22:27 #38569 by Pat II
Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

'Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla'.

My girls are 4 & 7 and love this film - they always have time for a Godzilla flic. I just need to fast forward through most of the cheese, which really I don't mind.
The topic has been locked.
More
19 Aug 2009 23:18 #38578 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Pat II wrote:

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

'Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla'.

My girls are 4 & 7 and love this film - they always have time for a Godzilla flic. I just need to fast forward through most of the cheese, which really I don't mind.

One day my sister-in-law was over and watching my 3 year old was roaring and jumping on my 5 year old. I asked her if she was being Godzilla, and she replied 'No! I'm robot godzilla'. My sister-in-law told me that at that moment she realized that there could never be any doubt that the children were mine, as even though she is a primary school teacher she had never before encountered a child who knew the difference between godzilla and mechagodzilla and understood which one was the hero.
More
19 Aug 2009 23:24 #38580 by Michael Barnes
DEATH SPORT?! Wow...the pseudo-sequel to DEATH RACE 2000...that's a pretty obscure one.

You should guys should show those girls GODZILLA: FINAL WARS. It's from 2004, but it's a modern update of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS. I'm pretty sure it is the finest cultural product created so far this millenium.

Most of the modern Godzilla pictures are actually a lot of fun...the '93 update of GODZILLA VERSUS MECHAGODZILLA was pretty darn good, what with its faux-TERMINATOR plot and all. And the new Mothra stuff was pretty awesome.
More
19 Aug 2009 23:31 #38582 by mikoyan
Not technically a movie, but I watched the first two episodes of Generation Kill. So far it seems pretty good.
More
19 Aug 2009 23:45 #38584 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Michael Barnes wrote:

DEATH SPORT?! Wow...the pseudo-sequel to DEATH RACE 2000...that's a pretty obscure one.

You should guys should show those girls GODZILLA: FINAL WARS. It's from 2004, but it's a modern update of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS. I'm pretty sure it is the finest cultural product created so far this millenium.

Most of the modern Godzilla pictures are actually a lot of fun...the '93 update of GODZILLA VERSUS MECHAGODZILLA was pretty darn good, what with its faux-TERMINATOR plot and all. And the new Mothra stuff was pretty awesome.

I only have Death Sport due to the fact that it was released on a double DVD with Death Race 2000 to commemorate the release of Death Race at the cinema last year. I think it is the greatest of all shonky 1970's action films and I can't get enough of it for some reason.

I think there are actually 3 versions of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. My favourite is the '02 one. Destroy All Monsters was banned by my 5 year old due to a scene where they rip an ear-ring off a lady and there is a bit of blood so I haven't seen that as much as the others. I have been really tempted by Godzilla: Final Wars as it is part of the cycle of Godzilla films I like best (the early 2000's ones have a touch better pacing than the 60's and 70's ones), but I have heard it is not as good as GvMG and Tokyo SOS and those two are pretty much enough to satisfy my cravings for monster on monster action.
More
20 Aug 2009 07:12 #38598 by Rliyen
Michael Barnes wrote:

FINAL WARS. Most definitely. Noah got hooked on Godzilla after watching that and my hope for the monster from my childhood was reborn. I especially love the jab they made against the 1998 movie.
More
20 Aug 2009 10:48 #38617 by ChristopherMD
Watched Near Dark, which I hadn't seen in like 20 years. If I had to hang out with the assholes in that clan I wouldn't want to be a vampire either.
More
20 Aug 2009 10:58 #38619 by Michael Barnes
"We lost."

That's one of the coolest lines in any vampire picture. NEAR DARK is a great one.
More
20 Aug 2009 13:13 #38649 by Space Ghost
Watched Salem's Lot again last night -- forgot how long that fucker was. I have to say that it has lost some of its appeal over the years.

My favorite Dracula so far is the one with Cristopher Lee -- my mom made me take a quiz over it in highschool once before I was allowed to go out on a date. Wow, just realized how fucked up my family is.
More
20 Aug 2009 13:16 - 20 Aug 2009 13:19 #38651 by billyz
I just saw SIN CITY for the first time. Great flick-- akes me wanna go out and grab the comics/graphic novels.

THE BLOOD OF HEROES is the American release of SALUTE OF THE JUGGERS and itis quite possibly one of my favorite post apo movies of all time. I understand that SALUTE has an extr 10 minutes of running time... guess I'll have to track that down.

Thanks to my 2 year old I've just watched Shrek for the hundredth time. On the plus side, she pronounces Schreck "fuck", so I'm always trying to get her to say "Aw Shrek!" whenever I'm not within slap range of the wife.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2009 13:19 by billyz.
More
20 Aug 2009 13:35 #38657 by Michael Barnes
Don't bother Billy- you've practically seen the comics already. The movie is almost panel-for-panel. Somehow, that worked out better for SIN CITY than WATCHMEN. Probably because SIN CITY is all visuals and little substance.

Watched Salem's Lot again last night -- forgot how long that fucker was. I have to say that it has lost some of its appeal over the years.

Really? I just watched it too and I thought it held up really well. The first hour is typical TV filler crap, who cares about the real estate agent and his stupid affair. But once it kicks in, I think it's about as good as TV horror has ever been. The floating kid thing, I think, is actually suprisingly effective given the crude effects- it looks surreal and nightmarish. The scene where the vampire shows up in the kitchen is still the best part. I think the film works because it completely transposes traditional gothic horror to a modern American setting. James Mason is awesome, he scared the crap out of me when I was little.

My favorite Dracula so far is the one with Cristopher Lee -- my mom made me take a quiz over it in highschool once before I was allowed to go out on a date. Wow, just realized how fucked up my family is

I just watched that one too, I assume you're talking about HORROR OF DRACULA, the first one in their cycle. That's a great picture, and hugely important in the history of horror cinema. It wasn't the first color horror film (that was CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, a year before) but the opening with the blood dripping on the Dracula inscription was pretty shocking at the time. Lee is awesome, "I am Dracula, this is my home". Of course, Cushing practically steals the show with the absolute best Van Helsing ever put on film, and their very physical fight at the end ranks as my favorite vampire showdown of all time.
More
20 Aug 2009 18:30 #38708 by Space Ghost
Michael Barnes wrote:

Really? I just watched it too and I thought it held up really well. The first hour is typical TV filler crap, who cares about the real estate agent and his stupid affair. But once it kicks in, I think it's about as good as TV horror has ever been. The floating kid thing, I think, is actually suprisingly effective given the crude effects- it looks surreal and nightmarish. The scene where the vampire shows up in the kitchen is still the best part. I think the film works because it completely transposes traditional gothic horror to a modern American setting. James Mason is awesome, he scared the crap out of me when I was little.

I don't mind the effects and I definitely love the vampire in the kitchen. I just thought there was a lot of downtime that didn't necessarily motivate the plot. The last bit is great, I think.

My favorite Dracula so far is the one with Cristopher Lee -- my mom made me take a quiz over it in highschool once before I was allowed to go out on a date. Wow, just realized how fucked up my family is

I just watched that one too, I assume you're talking about HORROR OF DRACULA, the first one in their cycle. That's a great picture, and hugely important in the history of horror cinema. It wasn't the first color horror film (that was CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, a year before) but the opening with the blood dripping on the Dracula inscription was pretty shocking at the time. Lee is awesome, "I am Dracula, this is my home". Of course, Cushing practically steals the show with the absolute best Van Helsing ever put on film, and their very physical fight at the end ranks as my favorite vampire showdown of all time.

Yeah -- that's the one. Has to be my favorite vampire movie. I also liked DRACULA with Frank Langella, but it is not as good overall.
More
20 Aug 2009 19:51 #38715 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Forgot the key one I watched last weekend. I decided to show my two girls 'Footloose'. This was mainly to explain to my 5 year old why one of her nicknames is 'The Reverend'. This comes from (among other things) when we were on holiday at a resort and after coming back from the kids club on the first day we asked her if she liked it and she said 'No it was terrible. I am never going back.' 'Why was it so bad?' we asked. The answer 'They made me dance'.

The other Footloose related anecdote in my life comes from a couple of years ago at my great aunt's funeral. In the middle of one of the solemn bible readings to the bewilderment of my family I suddenly gave as quiet a "YES!" and fist pump as I could. Afterwards I had to explain to my family that the bible passage used was the one that Kevin Bacon uses in Footloose at the town meeting to convince the squares that the kids should be able to hold a senior prom. I always suspected that Aunt Gladys was a firm believer in the kids' right to dance and now I had my proof.
More
21 Aug 2009 00:24 #38732 by mikoyan
I watched three more hours of Generation Kill. So far pretty good.
More
21 Aug 2009 14:48 #38778 by ChristopherMD
Saw the Watchmen DC for the third time last night. One thing Zack Snyder does well is bringing comic panels to life and that's pretty much why I find myself coming back to this movie. Its got flaws certainly, but its also got a lot of awesome scenes in it. Plus several of the actors do exceedingly well in their respective roles and Laurie Jupiter is super hot.

Who watches the Watchmen? I do.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.615 seconds