October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? ARCHIVE

More
19 Aug 2009 10:54 #38440 by Black Barney
I thought a general thread to post what movies you've been seeing/watching lately could be cool. Given the success of the "what board games have you been playing" thread, I thought it would be fun to talk about recent films so we can tell fellow F:AT'ers what to see or avoid. Just if you've seen something lately and feel like sharing with the rest of us then go for it.

Last night I saw PONYO and it was fantastic. Mayazaki's latest and it was totally solid (9/10). Worth seeing. I'd put it in my top ten for the year for now but I think it will probably get bumped off before year's end. Really cool flick.
The topic has been locked.
More
19 Aug 2009 11:07 - 19 Aug 2009 11:07 #38444 by ubarose
PONYO was the last movie I saw as well. It was adorable. I heard Mayazaki said that it would be in 3D over his dead body. I think we may need to own this one.

The only down side is that the closing theme song is a nasty earworm.

Ponyo, ponyo, ponyo.
She's a little fish.
She's a little fish with a red tummy.
Ponyo, ponyo, ponyo.
She's a little girl.
She's a little girl with a round tummy.

It just won't go away.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2009 11:07 by ubarose.
More
19 Aug 2009 11:11 #38446 by Black Barney
I ran out of the theatre screaming during the closing credits because I recognized that the song would get into my head. On the way back to the car, I was singing it like a fruitcake and my wife kept smacking me.

I LOVE that Mayazaki fought Disney's pressure to move it into 3D. As much as I love the Toy Story movies, I refuse to see the first two when they get rereleased in 3D.

ALTHOUGH i have to say that Coraline and U23D were both fantastic in 3D.

I just paid 17$ to see Harry Potter again but this time in 3D. What a WASTE
More
19 Aug 2009 11:28 #38456 by Michael Barnes
Miyazaki is our greatest living filmmaker. Not animator, filmmaker. There is no other director living that captures so much of life and living on very subtle levels like he does, nor is there a director with such an idiosyncratic idea of the fantastic and how it can be used to convey rich, meaningful truths about everything from environmental conservation to growing up.

One of the most profound moments in all of his work is in KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE when she's about to leave and wants her dad to pick her up. There's a little beat there where he strains. In that tiny little piece of animation is everything about growing up, parenthood, and the passage of time. It's a tender, sad moment that pulls together the hope of a future with a nostalgia for the past along with finding the strength to manage both.

FYI- one of my tattoos is Kiki and Jiji on the broom.

Haven't seen PONYO yet, I'd actually kind of like to wait for the DVD so I can see it without the Jonas Brothers.

Saw DISTRICT 9 last weekend of course, it was pretty good but nowhere near as great as the hype...Matt's vampire article sent me back to SALEM'S LOT and the Hammer Dracula cycle...last night I watched NORMA RAE, an interesting picture about unionization with Sally Field...tonight I'll probably watch GUNGA DIN, been in the mood to see it again.
More
19 Aug 2009 11:32 - 19 Aug 2009 11:33 #38460 by Black Barney
The Jonas Brothers aren't so bad. And that Noah Cyrus isn't that bad either. Liam Nesson is PERFECTLY cast as the Sea Wizard.

You want to know an animated movie where they've really messed up the voice actor casting? The upcoming WHERE THE WILD ONES ARE. omg, the voices don't match up to the big furry monsters at all.

btw that sounds like a cool tattoo
Last edit: 19 Aug 2009 11:33 by Black Barney.
More
19 Aug 2009 12:13 #38469 by OldHippy
Ponyo looks pretty awesome. I liked his other films well enough so I'll probably watch that on DVD when it comes out (I don't go to theatres much). I'm currently re-watching the Kingdom series from Lars Von Trier... I love that series. I know that they are T.V. shows but I am watching them them so I fit with half the title. Besides they were theatrical releases here in Vancouver. Funny, funny stuff. It seems to me that he lost his sense of humour after this series because he was never very funny again.
More
19 Aug 2009 12:16 #38470 by Rliyen
Saw GI: Joe with the Noah Bean this past Sunday. It's one of those rare movies that I'd gladly go watch again. We both enjoyed it. If you viewed it as a cartoon series plot with a live actors, it worked well. Suspension of Disbelief is necessary for the film, but like most good action movies, it works.

The only thing that made me giggle inside was when Cobra Commander is first introduced. I thought, "My God, he looks like a psycho version of Chairman Kaga from Iron Chef."
More
19 Aug 2009 12:35 #38474 by Michael Barnes
Chairman Kaga is TEH BOMB

It seems to me that he lost his sense of humour after this series because he was never very funny again.

Come on, DANCER IN THE DARK was hilarious! :-|

Have you seen the trailer for his new picture, ANTICHRIST? It looks BLEAK as fuck...supposedly it's a very, very sick psychological horror thing. And, somehow, somebody is making a video game based on it.
More
19 Aug 2009 13:04 #38482 by OldHippy
Michael Barnes wrote:

Come on, DANCER IN THE DARK was hilarious! :-|

Have you seen the trailer for his new picture, ANTICHRIST? It looks BLEAK as fuck...supposedly it's a very, very sick psychological horror thing. And, somehow, somebody is making a video game based on it.

Who the hell would make a video game out of that... Uwe Bull??

Yeah Dancer in the Dark was hillarious... especially the ending eh? I laughed really hard at that scene. But I'm being unfair. I thought that Breaking the Waves had funny scenes too but none of them were as funny or as entertaining/non-pretentious as Kingdom. He just got too damned serious for his own good. But anything with Bjork I will watch... anything!

Anti-christ eh? I'll defintely be watching out for that one. I do like his movies and I hope he nails this horror project because there just aren't enough good people trying to do horror films. Drag me to Hell came out this year and it was O.K.. I had no real problems with it but didn't think it was stellar either.
More
19 Aug 2009 15:05 #38501 by Pat II
3d is the newest weapon in the movie making arsenal to thwart piracy. It's putting asses in the seats I'm guessing unless the release is timed with a non 3d version release as well.
More
19 Aug 2009 15:30 #38504 by OldHippy
Pat II wrote:

3d is the newest weapon in the movie making arsenal to thwart piracy. It's putting asses in the seats I'm guessing unless the release is timed with a non 3d version release as well.

And mostly it's wasted but the filmakers in UP really tried to do something novel with it. Their idea was that with highly emotional scenes where the feeling is more intimate they would try to condense the image. Making everything closer together and in effect tighter, whilst in the more action oriented or comedic moments they tried to open up the view and make things feel more alive. But of course Pixar will try to make it interesting and not sensational that is their usual course so good for them.

Unfortunately I still prefer the film in 2D (yeah, I watched it twice, holds up really well to a second viewing) because the lenses on these damned 3D galsses take away some of the colour spectrum and you lose out on some fantastic images as a result.
More
19 Aug 2009 15:51 #38508 by Columbob
Black Barney wrote:

I just paid 17$ to see Harry Potter again but this time in 3D. What a WASTE

I could have told you that, but $17? That's pretty high.

I went to see it on IMAX not knowing there would be "3d", had to go back out in the hall to grab the glasses. About $13-14 here in Canada. The 3d ads (including one for Scrooge with Jim Carey) were longer than the 3d intro scene in HP. I was expecting to have to put them back on later on, but nope.
More
19 Aug 2009 16:21 #38517 by Black Barney
yeah, that was a total waste. 17 bucks in Montreal to see HP 3D for the first 15 minutes or so. UGH

oh I forgot! I saw GI JOE yesterday. Absolutely terrible (4/10) yet way better than transformers 2. So many scenes in GI JOE had me rolling my eyes and just dying. Not good.
More
19 Aug 2009 16:35 #38523 by Pat II
I saw Monsters vs Aliens at the ScotiaImax downtown and it was great in Imax...very different than 3d on a regular screen.

Coraline was fantastic though - even without the 3d.

Up was great also. I like the 3d but my 4 year old has a hard time keeping the glasses on and fidgets throughout. You're right about the colors though, I found myself taking them off periodically...mind you the glasses take a beating at the theatre and mine were just beyond cruddy...
More
19 Aug 2009 21:57 #38565 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Due to having a 3 and 5 year old girls my movie viewing is fairly restricted. I have found that it is acceptable to my wife to break up the Care Bears and My Little Pony dvds with old action/adventure movies where the violence isn't as extreme as you get now.

So I have 2 little girls well versed in the classics (in a moment that would bring a tear to many an AT eye my 5 year old got very cross with me one day screaming "I don't want to watch 'The Phantom Menace'. I want 'Krull'"). Films that have appeared on our tv in the last month include 'Flash Gordon', 'Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla' (and its sequel 'Tokyo SOS' which my girls prefer due to the presence of fairies), 'Robot Jox' and 'Tron'.

Having gotten into the swing of this style of viewing it has slipped into adults-only movie times with such classics as 'Creature From the Black Lagoon', 'Death Sport' and 'Salute of the Jugger' (this last one failed with my wife as hald way through she exclaimed 'What is this shit and how on earth do you know about it?').
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.323 seconds