October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2748 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to? ARCHIVE

More
12 Dec 2013 07:20 #167541 by ThirstyMan

JonJacob wrote: I don't know why I never heard of these guys until today but my Uncle just sent me this link and I was blown away. What an incredible band! Beautiful (might be the wrong word actually) arrangements and fascinating songwriting. I will definitely be spending some time looking into them more seriously.

Remind me a bit of Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
The topic has been locked.
More
12 Dec 2013 09:12 #167551 by Black Barney

KudagFirefist wrote: - Wrecking ball

yeah, I don't blame you for liking this. Miley Cyrus is really coming into her own.
More
12 Dec 2013 16:43 #167644 by Hatchling
I'm cooking for tonight's game of Maria right now. But I had to take a break to post about what I'm listening to: The Smith's Meat is Murder. It's crushingly good. Barbarism Begins at Home is on right now...so damn groovy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White
More
12 Dec 2013 17:49 #167651 by MattFantastic

Hatchling wrote: I'm cooking for tonight's game of Maria right now. But I had to take a break to post about what I'm listening to: The Smith's Meat is Murder. It's crushingly good. Barbarism Begins at Home is on right now...so damn groovy.

I got supremely drunk a few nights ago and went to see a new Smiths cover band. It was so much fun. I sang every single word and had a fucking blast. The band came up after and thanked me for being so stoked and making them happy. Fuck do I love the Smiths.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling
More
12 Dec 2013 23:15 #167671 by iguanaDitty
My daughter is obsessed with Pentatonix's Daft Punk arrangement. And so am I. Amazing a capella group, and I like their arrangement better than the entire album.
More
13 Dec 2013 10:47 #167715 by Black Barney
oh man that means my wife is going to get hold of that soon. She's a huge Pentatonix fan and likes the new Daft Punks stuff too.

On my side, I bought a few tunes yesterday that came up listening to Sirius radio's Coffee House channel (my favourite) while going to pick up IKEA furniture late at night.

- Tiffany Alvord does a nice acoustic cover of Paramore's Still Into You that I find pretty cute.
- Walk off the Earth doing Red Hands, pretty catchy
- Let's be Still by The Head and the Heart, I should have found an acoustic version of this instead tho
More
15 Dec 2013 18:21 - 15 Dec 2013 18:22 #167894 by Shellhead
Stumbled around Youtube looking for something different, and found The Cramps covering The Count Five, live:

Last edit: 15 Dec 2013 18:22 by Shellhead.
More
18 Dec 2013 14:28 - 18 Dec 2013 14:30 #168084 by wice
Not strictly on topic, but I'm listening to Spotify ever since it started here a week ago. It's a very good service, I'm thinking about upgrading to the paid version. It's not great, though: for that, it needs to have more of the "obscure" stuff I'm into, like where the fuck is Cop Shoot Cop, or Automaton Adventure Series? It also has the same problem as many other services of this kind, it cannot differentiate between two or more bands with the same name. For example, there's a shitload of stuff under "Helium", which has nothing to do with Mary Timony's band.

On a somewhat related note, I'm selling off all my CDs (don't worry, I live in Hungary, there's no chance you get any of them). Not because of Spotify, but because I'm not listening to CDs anymore. I mean, sometimes, when I'm in the mood for listening to something I have on CD, I just automatically start Soulseek, and download it, rather than look for the CD on the shelf.

Anyway, having said that, it's like ripping my soul out, one piece at a time.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2013 14:30 by wice.
More
18 Dec 2013 14:33 #168085 by Black Barney
Being that time of year again, Ken and I pulled out the old chestnut "A Josh Groban Christmas" while sitting in front of a roaring fire splitting a chilled Pinot Grinchio. 'Twas a nice evening but man, am I ever sore today.

Happy holidays all! Love you guys (except Repoman).
More
18 Dec 2013 14:42 #168087 by Michael Barnes
Wice, it might be a licensing thing in your country...here in the USA, I actually have a hard time stumping Spotify as long as I don't veer off into anything like ultra-obscure crust and some of the really minute BM acts like the LLN stuff...oh wait, I just spot-checked for Rattus and Crude SS and they were in there. THe only Cop Shoot Cop we have is a couple of compliation tracks. I've actually been very impressed at how broad the catalog is. And for less-obscure stuff, it's well worth the monthly fee to literally have the entire discographies of tons of great bands and artists at any time.

But there are gaps...no Coil, for example. But like all of the Deutsch Nepal.

CDs are completely dead. I haven't put in a CD to listen to in like two years.
More
18 Dec 2013 15:10 #168088 by wice

Michael Barnes wrote: THe only Cop Shoot Cop we have is a couple of compliation tracks.

I assume you meant "the only Cop Shoot Cop we DON'T have". If that's true, I'm fucking pissed. Licensing shit like that is the reason I will probably never go full legal. :(
More
18 Dec 2013 15:26 #168090 by Michael Barnes
No, none of the CSC records are on there. Thanks a lot for making me want to hear them! :-)

I know there are some differences between US Spotify and elsewhere...for example, MattDP can listen to the good Curve records, I can't.
More
19 Dec 2013 12:48 #168173 by OldHippy
I just downloaded Bo's new album, he's a talented kid who does mostly comedy but also songs on occasion. Kind of like a much more hyper and lightning fast Tim Minchin. This song is brilliant in it's cynicism and definitely worth a listen.

Art is Dead.

More
19 Dec 2013 13:44 #168180 by ThirstyMan

MattLoter wrote:

Hatchling wrote: I'm cooking for tonight's game of Maria right now. But I had to take a break to post about what I'm listening to: The Smith's Meat is Murder. It's crushingly good. Barbarism Begins at Home is on right now...so damn groovy.

I got supremely drunk a few nights ago and went to see a new Smiths cover band. It was so much fun. I sang every single word and had a fucking blast. The band came up after and thanked me for being so stoked and making them happy. Fuck do I love the Smiths.

I used to do this a lot in the mid 90s in UK when cover bands were the bomb. I went to see a fucking brilliant Bowie band, a superb T Rex band, The Jam, Hendrix, Stones etc etc. The really great thing about all of these bands was that everyone knew what they were going to get so you ended up with a giant Karaoke and dancing night and everyone leaves happy. I used to get slaughtered at these nights and have no voice at the end of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattFantastic
More
19 Dec 2013 13:50 #168183 by MattFantastic

ThirstyMan wrote:

MattLoter wrote:

I used to do this a lot in the mid 90s in UK when cover bands were the bomb. I went to see a fucking brilliant Bowie band, a superb T Rex band, The Jam, Hendrix, Stones etc etc. The really great thing about all of these bands was that everyone knew what they were going to get so you ended up with a giant Karaoke and dancing night and everyone leaves happy. I used to get slaughtered at these nights and have no voice at the end of them.

It's cool to shit on cover bands, but a really good one that does a single great band is so much fun to go see. I'd much prefer to sing along to the Smiths all night than listen to some shitty bar band and try to ignore them as best I can.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds