October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to? ARCHIVE

More
16 Jan 2014 05:55 - 16 Jan 2014 05:56 #169951 by wice
The thing with corpsepaint and stuff is that they work perfectly on a poorly focused amateur photo taken with a shitty analog camera in a forest or some catacombs, preferably xeroxed three times, and placed on the cover of a cassette demo, in the early 90s. They are absolutely ridiculous in any other circumstances.

Also, don't get me started on the funniest aspect of black metal culture, when the TRVE(TM) black metal fans accuse bands like Liturgy and Deafheaven of being "posers" for not looking and sounding exactly like early Darkthrone and not claiming to be Satanists. Because apparently nothing says "not poser" better than slavishly recycling other people's ideas while wearing costumes and makeup, and pretending to be something you are not.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2014 05:56 by wice.
The topic has been locked.
More
17 Jan 2014 13:00 #170072 by MattFantastic

wice wrote:

Scandinavian blackened crust for the win!

This is just making me want to listen to more Tragedy. Which is a damn fine thing to do.

I've been listening to the new-ish Oathbreaker record a lot lately. They ain't breaking a lot of new ground or anything but it's pretty crushing.

Some of my friends just started a new band Oughts, and the demo has some really awesome bits. Very Dinosaur Jr/Husker Du vibes. Oughts Bandcamp
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy
More
21 Jan 2014 14:48 - 21 Jan 2014 15:32 #170376 by VonTush
I've been on a Motown-type kick as of late...Gadys Knight and the Pips, Al Green, Ray Charles, Supremes, Temptations, Marvin Gaye, The Spinners, Aretha Franklin. That and Blues, over New Years there was a Crossroads Festival marathon on one of the TV music stations and that was on for at least eight hours as we took down the tree and packed up Christmas.

EDIT: HA!!! I have Pandora on as I pay bills at work and that Smokey Robinson song "You Really Got A Hold on Me" comes on...Every time I hear the song I flash back to a traumatizing moment of my childhood watching a big letter "U" basically groping and being close to raping Smokey on Sesame Street. Never did Sesame Street creep me out more.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2014 15:32 by VonTush.
More
21 Jan 2014 16:22 #170383 by Michael Barnes
You can't beat Al Green and Marvin Gaye. Two of the finest voices ever in popular music.

I don't think there is a better example of R&B music than "What's Going On". The songs on there are just extraordinary. The arrangements are impeccable. The performances are as good as it gets. And there's an edge to it, especially because at the time he was writing about very topical social and personal issues- not the usual R&B fare at all. I mean, can you imagine any R&B singer of the past 30 years singing about "fish full of mercury"?

I saw Al Green about ten years ago, it was awesome. He came out in a white suit, dancing and just totally into the music after all these years.

You should listen to some Sam Cooke too, some really awesome stuff. And Wilson Pickett. Joe Tex. Early Stevie Wonder. Martha Reeves and the Vandellas. Great, great music. Such a wonderful heritage of music classic soul and R&B represents. It's a shame most of it from the past several decades has been so terrible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush, Pug
More
30 Jan 2014 21:13 #171031 by Shellhead
Randomly was reminded of this song today:

Very dark lyrics about a bad place that most people haven't heard about.
More
30 Jan 2014 22:11 #171032 by Gary Sax
So I love Marvin Gaye, and his albums are more consistent, songwriting, etc, but I think the best R+B singer of all time is Bill Withers. The reason why is that Bill Withers never oversings, or showboats. There is never a moment that I've ever heard, on any Withers album, of oversinging. It's the biggest problem with R+B, in my opinion, this "cred" problem where you have to constantly push your voice to breaking.
More
13 Feb 2014 15:54 #171837 by san il defanso
Some friends and I have started doing a kinda-sorta music podcast together, so it's pushed me to expand what I listen to, since I'm naturally one to listen to the same kind of stuff over and over.

- Been listening to a lot of The Hives, who aren't really new to me at all. Still a lot of fun though.

- Too True, the new album by Dum Dum Girls is really good. I think a lot of people here would enjoy it.

- One guy on the podcast suggested Haim, and I've had their song "The Wire" racing through my head for the better part of two weeks.
More
13 Feb 2014 16:21 #171839 by Michael Barnes
Whatever happened to The Hives, they were a fun act. Had some really good garagey singles- "Main Offender", "Hate to Say I Told You So"...they wore those big ass Hermes belts with the H on them...WHERE ARE THEY NOW
More
13 Feb 2014 16:37 #171841 by san il defanso
They did the Black & White Album back in 2007, then went dark until 2012. The album they did then, Lex Hives, is pretty good, though I haven't had a ton of time with it.

This will sound hipster-ish of me (said the board game critic), but I feel like the last two albums have a little more muscle behind the production that paradoxically removes some of their power. Tyrannosaurus Hives is a really great album because it just sounds so caffeinated. It's like they need to get they catchy songs out right this moment, and cannot wait any longer. When you start to beef up that sound, it pushes a little closer to jock rock territory.

I like the new(er) stuff, I really do. But it doesn't have quite the same intensity to me.

Having said that, they still have that wonderful rock band attitude, with the uniforms and goofy names and possibly made-up band history. I love that they have a bassist who goes by Dr. Matt Destruction. There's a kind of gleefully dumb quality to their songs that has no patience for subtlety and nuance.
More
13 Feb 2014 16:43 #171842 by jeb
I have been having a love affair with the DFA Remix of Blues Explosion's MARS, ARIZONA.

More
13 Feb 2014 16:55 #171844 by Michael Barnes
I saw Blues Explosion once a long, long time ago. Not long after Pussy Galore. Might have been the first Blues Explosion tour, actually. He was TORE up. After every song, he hollered "BLUES EXPLOSION!"
More
13 Feb 2014 19:39 #171849 by MattFantastic
Dum Dum Girls have some REALLY awesome tracks but I can't just listen to any of the records straight through. Just way too much filler that gets away from them having such tight hooks.

I've always really liked the Hives and their not taking themselves so serious made them stand out from the pack of "we're here to save rock n roll" garage revival bands that were just such pretentious dicks about "real rock" that it killed a lot of their appeal for me. Jack White can write some fucking hits, but jesus does he come off like a douche bag sometimes.
More
13 Feb 2014 21:47 - 13 Feb 2014 21:48 #171862 by OldHippy
I've been listening to lots of hip hop and metal lately, in preparation for some projects I'm working on, but mostly I've been listening to these two weekend warrior cover song artists who sing in a pizza parlour. I'm not kidding.

I just can't stop. That singer sure has a set of pipes on him (and looks just like Louis CK) ... that last chorus gets me every time. I kind of forgot about this song which I did love when I was 10 but I find it aged really well. I actually like it more now than I did at the time.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2014 21:48 by OldHippy.
More
13 Feb 2014 22:24 #171866 by hotseatgames
Right now I'm listening to the Glitch Mob. They are pretty damn awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb
More
14 Feb 2014 09:56 #171891 by san il defanso

MattLoter wrote: I've always really liked the Hives and their not taking themselves so serious made them stand out from the pack of "we're here to save rock n roll" garage revival bands that were just such pretentious dicks about "real rock" that it killed a lot of their appeal for me. Jack White can write some fucking hits, but jesus does he come off like a douche bag sometimes.

Jack White definitely has a pretentious streak a mile wide, but I can (and have) spent weeks on end listening to nothing but his music. The White Stripes are basically my favorite band ever, and the second Raconteurs album feels like a checklist of all my favorite rock tropes. His solo album was just terrific too.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds