October 09, 2023
2527 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

GW and FFG Breaking Up?

More
10 Sep 2016 19:09 #233888 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

Mr. White wrote: Wade...did you just buy the entire ffg talisman line or did you have some previously?

All of it.

We've been selling off games and building a game money fund for big stupid purchases like this, so I was able to justify it. Plus, it's a known quantity and it's something that will get play for a long time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White, Columbob, san il defanso, Frohike, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2016 19:30 #233892 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Sounds like we have a Talisman edition comparison article in our future...

;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
10 Sep 2016 19:44 #233893 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

Mr. White wrote: Sounds like we have a Talisman edition comparison article in our future...

;)

That would be awesome!

More
10 Sep 2016 23:42 #233903 by san il defanso

wadenels wrote:

Mr. White wrote: Wade...did you just buy the entire ffg talisman line or did you have some previously?

All of it.

We've been selling off games and building a game money fund for big stupid purchases like this, so I was able to justify it. Plus, it's a known quantity and it's something that will get play for a long time.

Were you able to track down the POD expansions for it? I don't always see FFG's POD products in stores, but those ones were pretty common around here.

More
10 Sep 2016 23:52 #233904 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
So earlier in the year I had planned on doing a comprehensive "buyer's guide" to Talisman for the site...I still plan to. My goal was to focus on it after Halloween and all the horror articles and boardgame reviews for that wonderful season ran. Seeing that Talisman is going OOP has kind of put a damper on my enthusiasm to push forward with the guide. On the bright side it's nice knowing that the product is finished/complete and I have all of it to review. Still I'm wondering if it will even be worth it at this point.

What do you guys think? Should I just scrap the idea or would it be worth completing? If I decide to move forward with it, that will mean it will become my main focus come November. I won't publish any reviews or articles that aren't related to Talisman for quite some time. I'm totally fine doing that as I have a bunch to say about 4th edition...but again, I'm just not sure if it's worth it at this point. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Columbob, Frohike

More
11 Sep 2016 00:22 #233906 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
I used Mr Skeletor's Runebound guide years after the game was out of print. If someone gets the bug, those buying guides are invaluable since they make it much easier to gauge the market price (often driven more by rarity than quality) against what the expansion actually provides. I can imagine people needing a similar resource for Talisman, and I'm guessing there will be a *lot* of copies floating around the aftermarket at decent prices after the first panic-jump subsides.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Colorcrayons, Egg Shen

More
11 Sep 2016 00:44 #233909 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Yep, I say move ahead on the Talisman project, there's so much Talisman stuff out there something comprehensive would be aces.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
11 Sep 2016 01:22 - 11 Sep 2016 01:40 #233914 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Yes, another vote for Talisman projects.

Thinking about a potential new Talisman from GW a bit.

One major concern I'd have is the lack of female characters. I mean I think the 2nd edition had like 6 total, 3rd had what, one or two? Plus, look at Silver Tower...one official female....is there a second in that app?

Tabletop gaming does seem to be a bit of a boys club, but GW really could improve in this area.
Last edit: 11 Sep 2016 01:40 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Egg Shen, DukeofChutney

More
11 Sep 2016 08:41 #233919 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

san il defanso wrote: Were you able to track down the POD expansions for it? I don't always see FFG's POD products in stores, but those ones were pretty common around here.

Nether Realm and Deep Realm? TheWarStore (.com) has those too. I just hope their "In Stock" is accurate and all this stuff ships soon to calm my nerves.

More
11 Sep 2016 15:44 #233934 by themothman421
Well....thanks to this thread I went and panic-bought Chaos and the Horned Rat expansion from my FLGS. Also ordered the two PODs for Warhammer Quest: ACG. Already have my complete collections of Relic, Blood Bowl, Death Angel, Forbidden Stars, and Fury of Dracula. Shame to see this partnership end; I am not so big on a lot of FFG's stuff, but for whatever reason their GW games always clicked with me. My only regret is not trying out Invasion or Conquest.

More
11 Sep 2016 17:45 #233939 by Michael Barnes
Ugh, FOMO strikes again...I didn't have the Woodland expansion, War Store'd I for $30. At least want all four corners.

More
11 Sep 2016 18:33 #233940 by DukeofChutney

themothman421 wrote: My only regret is not trying out Invasion or Conquest.

Is a solid game but people won't be hunting it down and forking out wads of cash for it in a few years time, or at least not for its game design. Sometimes an IP can turn something into a sort after item regardless of the quality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Sep 2016 20:07 #233942 by ioticus
Replied by ioticus on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
FOMO strikes again, I had 7 Talisman expansions in my cart but then remembered how much better Relic is and will probably never play Talisman again. I really wish Relic would've gotten the same level of support as Talisman because it is much more interesting in both theme and mechanics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover, Frohike

More
11 Sep 2016 20:45 #233949 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

DukeofChutney wrote:

themothman421 wrote: My only regret is not trying out Invasion or Conquest.

Is a solid game but people won't be hunting it down and forking out wads of cash for it in a few years time, or at least not for its game design. Sometimes an IP can turn something into a sort after item regardless of the quality.

Both should be cheap to track down, LCGs don't seem to hold value that well.

More
11 Sep 2016 23:03 #233955 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Resisting FOMO makes me feel fantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds