October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2730 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

GW and FFG Breaking Up?

More
10 Sep 2016 00:47 #233860 by ioticus
Replied by ioticus on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
I find the Terrinoth setting about as generic and interesting as reading a phone book. The Warhammer 40K setting, however, I really like. FFGs strength is creating thematic game experiences, not creating settings, pretty much the polar opposite of GW, which is why I thought their partnership was a match made in gaming heaven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Msample, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2016 08:31 - 10 Sep 2016 08:32 #233862 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
If you buy 10 copies of Fury of Dracula that's $1,000 of profit in the next six months. Or trade bait. I can't honestly think of ten games that I want that I could play.

The Ebay prices are obscene.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2016 08:32 by Cranberries.

More
10 Sep 2016 09:44 - 10 Sep 2016 09:53 #233865 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
?

Looks like there's a lot of reasonable priced copies on ebay. The completed listings have most sold for about $50.

I have considered the trade bait possibility though. I may be able to land a copy of gws battle of five armies or get a good copy of heroquest with a FoD. I guess it'll come down to watching the market and timing.

This is dumb.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2016 09:53 by Mr. White.

More
10 Sep 2016 10:47 #233869 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Picked up Talisman at TheWarStore. I've already got 2e and 3e, but 4e is different enough and I'm enough of a Talisman nut.

FFG's Talisman might be the last Talisman that has durable minis, and doesn't have me working with apps or chasing down one-off miniatures and White Dwarf magazines. FFG's Talisman is also the ultimate Talisman toolbox. There's so much content that can be tailored to taste.

I'm reasonably concerned about what a GW (or separately licensed) Talisman 5e will look like. If they license it then I don't believe it'll be as good as what FFG did. If they keep it in-house I'm expecting a $100 base game with characters and rules littered all over the place with Age of Sigmar crossover. I don't think that's a situation I want to tackle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Sep 2016 11:26 #233871 by hotseatgames
It is interesting to imagine what GW might do with one of its games that FFG had greatly improved (an arguable point, but go with me). This would really put the pressure on them to release a new edition that eclipsed anything FFG had done. Otherwise they look like amateurs. And I'm not saying they care.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
10 Sep 2016 11:49 #233872 by Michael Barnes
The thing is, there could be 5,000 copies of FoD sitting in Alliance's warehouse and another 5,000 at ACD or wherever. And FFG apparently has stock on hand, so that might be a pallet full. And then there is whatever is out there on store shelves, in transit to retail, etc. The perceived shortage stems from online forums and the fact that all of the major OLGS are out of stock.

The truth of it is that there may very well be plenty to go around, just not today. And we may see in the Winter sale that FFG has some of this stuff they need to close out.

Which didn't stop me from panic-buying, of course, but I was having fun with it. And there does need to be a little perspective on it all.

Now I'm kind of wanting to get Forbidden Stars even though I wasn't crazy about it...ugh, FOMO psychology!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample, Frohike

More
10 Sep 2016 11:56 #233873 by ChristopherMD
I've already started a savings fund for when they eventually lose the Star Wars license. For all we know ANA plans to let all FFG's deals lapse and have them do strictly in-house stuff. So this could be just the first to not get renewed. Weep for the future.

More
10 Sep 2016 11:58 #233874 by Michael Barnes
Jesus, that would be the hobby gaming apocalypse. And there would be a new economic class, X-Wing millionaires.

More
10 Sep 2016 13:16 #233876 by Colorcrayons
I'm a big fan of asmodee for nearly a decade now. I've seen them do a lot if good stuff.
But I can't see them letting go of star wars. Not unless Disney went full greed and asmodee couldn't afford it.

Letting go of gw is fairly harmless in the big picture. We all like gw stuff, but I would hardly call gws IP original. Its just crap they stole and renamed from other sources.

But I can see asmodee getting bigger licenses. Dune would be a likely target to be handled well they say its not possible, but just wait...

More
10 Sep 2016 13:36 #233878 by mutagen
Replied by mutagen on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Forbidden Stars is the one thing I felt OK about ignoring in this mess. It is right up my alley, but It was an expensive game to begin with, and got middling reviews in a crowded field. I'm gambling that should I ever have the opportunity to play it, I'll be able to pick it up for around MSRP.

Thanks to the lads in this forum, I did manage to get all I wanted before the feeding frenzy started. Of course, now I'm staring at about twenty boxes of Talisman. For the Talisman lovers out there, is there some optimal configuration you guys play of this game? I'm tempting to just mix all this shit together because I don't need twenty boxes of Talisman in my life. But damn, the encounter deck would be about a foot high, and what with the corner boards, I don't think I have a table big enough. Shit, I didn't think this through at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Frohike

More
10 Sep 2016 13:44 #233879 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

mutagen wrote: Thanks to the lads in this forum, I did manage to get all I wanted before the feeding frenzy started. Of course, now I'm staring at about twenty boxes of Talisman. For the Talisman lovers out there, is there some optimal configuration you guys play of this game? I'm tempting to just mix all this shit together because I don't need twenty boxes of Talisman in my life. But damn, the encounter deck would be about a foot high, and what with the corner boards, I don't think I have a table big enough. Shit, I didn't think this through at all.

Use the Reaper always. Try out the other small expansions primarily with just the main board to see how they work. Pick whichever corner boards seem fun at the time. The Dragon expansion changes the game quite a bit, so try that out separately also. Doing that will get you lots of very different games of Talisman, which is awesome.

Then mix it all together if you want. We have a group that plays everything all the time except the Dragon expansion, but there are so many cards I plan to make themed Adventure decks with my copy.

Or, you know, it's Talisman. Don't worry about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mutagen, Frohike

More
10 Sep 2016 16:39 #233882 by Mr. White
Wade...did you just buy the entire ffg talisman line or did you have some previously?

Still on the fence on picking up FoD...yes, as trade bait for a battle of five armies...

More
10 Sep 2016 17:07 #233884 by Mr. White

Colorcrayons wrote: But I can see asmodee getting bigger licenses. Dune would be a likely target to be handled well they say its not possible, but just wait...

I'm not really seeing Dune as a bigger license at this point.
Marvel maybe (and FFG once had a partnership there) as a bigger license than GW, but Dune...nah.

I'd guess Dune fans are greying out. Not a lot of young dollars there...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Colorcrayons, stoic

More
10 Sep 2016 17:12 #233885 by ChristopherMD
DOOM Quest: Adventure Card Game needs to happen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney

More
10 Sep 2016 18:14 #233887 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

Mr. White wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote: But I can see asmodee getting bigger licenses. Dune would be a likely target to be handled well they say its not possible, but just wait...

I'm not really seeing Dune as a bigger license at this point.
Marvel maybe (and FFG once had a partnership there) as a bigger license than GW, but Dune...nah.

I'd guess Dune fans are greying out. Not a lot of young dollars there...

I'd agree Dune is unlikely, but it would have made for a LCG given all the content.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds