October 09, 2023
2525 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2727 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

GW and FFG Breaking Up?

More
09 Sep 2016 15:38 - 09 Sep 2016 15:50 #233810 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

Mad Dog wrote: What part of Fury of Dracula does GW own beyond the name? You can't copyright game mechanics and the book is public domain and all the art is FFG's.

Uh-oh...interesting thought.

This is the sort of 'bad faith' move I can see FFG legal making. Wings of Glory anyone...?
Get ready for Fury of Vader! A totally new and original addition to the FFG family. Unlike anything they've released before!
Hahaha
Last edit: 09 Sep 2016 15:50 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2016 15:52 #233811 by hotseatgames
Ha! Wouldn't surprise me. I'm glad I got my Fury of Dracula last year.

More
09 Sep 2016 15:55 #233813 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
I don't know if there's any truth to the local rumblings, but they're much less dramatic and conspiratorial. Basically GW wanted more money for license renewal, and FFG couldn't or wouldn't pay up. I don't believe FFG has particularly deep pockets. I bet Star Wars didn't come cheap. No idea how Asmodee would play into that theory, if at all.

Really the loss is on GW's side. FFG will keep making great games, but those games won't say GAMES WORKSHOP on the side anymore.

In the grim sienna of Terrinoth there is only skub...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Jackwraith

More
09 Sep 2016 16:25 #233818 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

Gary Sax wrote: I think san hit on a key point---this sure seems like it was least a little surprising. I doubt FFG would have released recent GW product if they had known the license was likely to expire or be pulled back.

It was absolutely a surprise. The official statement even mentions that retailers who pre-ordered kits for Conquest tournaments won't have to pay anything and that the pre-orders are cancelled. You don't set up a continuing competitive game with advanced retail notification specifically for that game if you know that the license is going to be pulled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
09 Sep 2016 16:25 - 09 Sep 2016 16:32 #233819 by Mr. White

wadenels wrote: I don't know if there's any truth to the local rumblings, but they're much less dramatic and conspiratorial. Basically GW wanted more money for license renewal, and FFG couldn't or wouldn't pay up. I don't believe FFG has particularly deep pockets. I bet Star Wars didn't come cheap. No idea how Asmodee would play into that theory, if at all.

Really the loss is on GW's side. FFG will keep making great games, but those games won't say GAMES WORKSHOP on the side anymore.

In the grim sienna of Terrinoth there is only skub...

Hmmm...that's not as exciting. Maybe to keep this interesting, let's speculate the following...

GW likely wasn't too pleased that X-WIng has been outselling 40K for a while now, but there wasn't much they could do. Still...they're unhappy. Then the announcement of RuneWars the Miniatures Game really teed GW off. Sure, FFG wasn't selling 28mm compatible 40k/WFB figs (maybe why the stark difference in bases used for FWtMG), but FFG legal found a way to skirt their GW agreement with these bases and moved into direct competition. So, when it came time to renew, GW didn't like being played like this and demanded more money. Not out of any sense of superiority, but more like, "Ok, it's cool to make card and board games in our universes, but if you're going to publish some titles that clearly attract our tabletop player base...we're going to require a bit more in licensing fees to compensate..."

FFG/Asmodee said nuts to that as they're more or less in the driver's seat now.

There, was I able to justify to myself that I can continue to pull for GW here? ;)
Last edit: 09 Sep 2016 16:32 by Mr. White.

More
09 Sep 2016 16:40 #233821 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
It's possible for FFG to be surprised while ANA isn't.

More
09 Sep 2016 18:36 #233839 by Michael Barnes
Well shit, I was watching MM and CSI all day to see what was going on with Fury of Dracula...two hours ago they both had 20+ copies, it said. Suddenly, they vanished. Either the stock wasn't updated or someone swooped in for the scalp. I wound up just buying a copy at The War Store, I figured one of those out-of-the-way outfits like that would still have some...and they did.

There may still be some that turn up in retail over the next couple of weeks as they filter out of distribution, but I would expect them to be gone and $150+ with the quickness. It's odd, you kind of do need to buy what you want like, today. The sky is falling in real time.

I think the "we want more money" ask is a likely scenario. Not necessarily because of anything FFG was doing though, I think too much is being made of the Runewars minis. I doubt there was anything that forbid FFG from making a tabletop minis game with their own properties or other licenses. I think after the last annual report where GW saw that its main revenue stream is licensing they likely overshot their bid with FFG and FFG just said "nah, that's cool, thanks" and moved on. Quite possibly surprised that GW suddenly asked for more money for something previously valued at a lower price. And I think GW realizing that they can generate revenue with in-house board game designs made a difference too, which gave them leverage to make a bigger ask.

WHICH IS, of course, classic GW. Three Rhinos become one Rhino and the price actually GOES UP.

According to BGGers, this is going to be the the "final nail" in GW's coffin, they are totally doomed at this point.

More
09 Sep 2016 18:54 - 09 Sep 2016 18:55 #233841 by Mr. White
Maybe, I dunno...

Classic GW is one thing, but all their moves are different now. Like we've talked about, they aren't doing the split out three rhinos for more money now, but going the other direction in a lot of ways. They seem to be more friendly than they have in a loooong time.

I'm not saying they're faultless, but I don't get the vibe from current GW that they'd try to strong arm FFG. Of course, both parties want to make a deal that's best for them and I could totally be wrong, but from their new products, shop talk, and community enthusiasm I'm feeling a wind of change with GW.

Either way...you're putting my eyes on FoD...you complete bastard.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2016 18:55 by Mr. White.

More
09 Sep 2016 19:05 #233842 by Michael Barnes
It's one of the best, man. Pretty much the only "all against one" game you ever need.

More
09 Sep 2016 19:23 #233843 by Bull Nakano
Replied by Bull Nakano on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
"i don't see a single bad thing about this at all"
-every BGG/board game 'media' person in response to Asmodee buying company after company
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, stoic

More
09 Sep 2016 19:58 - 09 Sep 2016 19:59 #233845 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
This morning Amazon had Fury of Dracula for under $45 with Prime shipping. By Noon the price had escalated to $80 and over. Coolstuff and MiniatureMarket had +20 copies at or around Noon at @ $49.99. Now there are none. I guess panic buying has begun.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2016 19:59 by stoic.

More
09 Sep 2016 20:28 #233848 by Michael Barnes
Yes it has. I'm down about $150.

More
09 Sep 2016 21:14 #233851 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
I imagine like most relationships, the fault for this split lays with both parties. It starts out great, FFG is publishing old GW game classics that aren't tied to any of their current properties, Fury of Dracula, Warrior Knights then comes Talisman. Things are rosey and FFG starts to make some games and rpgs based on The Old World and 40k. Then FFG lands the hot Star Wars license and GW starts to get a little jealous. X-Wing is selling like hotcakes it's starting to compete with GW's base a little bit so GW notices board games are a thing so they bring back Space Hulk it sells out, everybody loves it so they develop some more. Execution Force, Betrayal at Calth, etc they start coming out more frequently. Negotiations start going sour, GW wants more money FFG doesn't want to pay more, FFG sees the writing on the wall and starts producing a minis game, etc.

In the end, I think both parties will be just fine. I think the board game community will make a bigger fuss about this than the minis crowd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
09 Sep 2016 21:16 #233852 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
I had thought I was good and wouldn't need to react to this, having made my WHQ:CG purchase earlier in the week (and previously bought the BB:TM expansions based on rumors they weren't going to be reprinted). Already set on FS, FoD, and the complete SH:DA. Then the sky starts falling, and I decide to buy the two Relic expansions off Amazon (for less than CSI was selling, incidentally). This is a game I was literally about to sell last week, but the deal fell through. Oh well, some good comments about it here and FOMO kicked in hard... But, at least I can get my money back later if I decide I ultimately don't like it.

It's pretty crazy, I initially went to MM and searched the expansions, with several left, then clicked through to find one them gone. It's really interesting to see how quickly they moved and, to be fair, how "plugged in" a significant chunk of the gamers are to this kind of news. Also, waaaaay too many speculators, I expect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
09 Sep 2016 23:07 - 09 Sep 2016 23:40 #233856 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: It's one of the best, man. Pretty much the only "all against one" game you ever need.

A FoD purchase would be only for resale as I'm not too big on 'all against one' unless it's....

Speaking of FoD...BGG folks think it's all sold out everywhere.

Warstore still has some, F:ATties.

Edit: going to kick myself for not getting one. Seems like they may be good trade bait for space hulk or heroquest or something of that ilk.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2016 23:40 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdennett

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.477 seconds