October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
18 Jan 2012 19:12 #113300 by jeb

hotseatgames wrote: I need more Hero Academy opponents. My game center ID is hotseatgames. :)

Dude. When a game is free, say it's free and I free will free a free free.

HERO ACADEMY

The topic has been locked.
More
18 Jan 2012 19:36 #113302 by Michael Barnes
Hero Academy is frustrating. The core mechanics are actually really good. I like that you can tool your guys up for different effects and the unit mix is nice.

But the "go punch the crystal" objective sucks. It turns into- almost every time- both sides with a guy posted up in front of it, hacking away. It leads to some silly situations, like when Mark was hammering at my Crystal and I used that Dark Elf harpoon lady to pull him off of it. On the next turn, he went back to hacking and was literally one action away from smashing it- the action it took him to get back into position. It was cool and funny, but it sort of points out that it's kind of a punching contest and little more.

I dunno, I liked it at first but after a couple of days of playing a bunch of matches, it's not holding my interest. And when Summoner Wars hits, it'll blow this away.

I really wish y'all would try Cabals. That one is really good.
More
18 Jan 2012 19:50 - 18 Jan 2012 19:53 #113304 by hotseatgames
I agree, and if it had been more than 99 cents to get the Dark Elves and remove ads, I'd have not bought in. I have never played Summoner Wars but am really looking forward to getting into it.

I played a round of Hero Academy with some stranger, and he literally summoned 6 dudes onto the map. I defeated him with 1, because he never touched my crystal.

I would look down on it for that, but ultimately it's the same deal with my beloved Neuroshima Hex... killing dudes is NOT the objective... smash your foe's base, and only attack his units if they are attacking YOUR base.

Also... I have had a great time playing Ascension lately. There are some good challengers here!
Last edit: 18 Jan 2012 19:53 by hotseatgames.
More
18 Jan 2012 21:21 #113330 by Gary Sax
I need game center friends... my name is, wait for it, Gary Sax. I can't tell if hero academy uses gamecenter
More
18 Jan 2012 21:31 #113334 by metalface13
Cabals is also free, or at least currently free, or at least free when I got it.

I've only played one game against the computer and I didn't really know what was going on.
More
19 Jan 2012 02:00 #113348 by imrahil327
I might have to try out this Hero Academy thing, everyone's buzzin' about it.
More
19 Jan 2012 13:41 - 19 Jan 2012 13:43 #113371 by Mr Skeletor

imrahil327 wrote: I might have to try out this Hero Academy thing, everyone's buzzin' about it.

I just downloaded it. So far (3/4 of my way through the first game) its crap.
No AI so I can't practice or learn the game.
The strategy seems to be just charge towards the opponents gem and hit it. This game makes the rookie mistake of giving you 'action points' and letting you activate the same unit multiple times. So all im doing is summoning 1 guy and spending all my actions using him to run up and hit the gem. So far this 'strategy' seems to be working.
Lame.

EDIT: I see others are saying the same thing.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2012 13:43 by Mr Skeletor.
More
More
19 Jan 2012 17:13 #113406 by Disgustipater
I feel that way when playing Carcassonne. One game should not take 3 hours.
More
19 Jan 2012 17:58 #113410 by TheDukester

Disgustipater wrote: I feel that way when playing Carcassonne. One game should not take 3 hours.

You play Carcassonne? I thought you were boycotting it for some reason; you've turned down my last couple of requests. If you were looking to send some sort of message, it's been received.

That said, have you checked out the Quick Play mode? Turns are limited to 90 seconds; the downside is that you're 99 percent likely to be playing a complete stranger.

As far as asynch goes, you sort of have to take what you can get. You can't go into most asynch games and reasonably expect them to be completed in 3 hours. Some players play fast enough to finish a complete game in less than a day; others can't even average a single move per day. I've mentally separated my most frequent opponents into different categories, and I've stopped playing the super-slow ones, for the most part. But 95 percent of my games still go into a second day, at the very least.
More
19 Jan 2012 18:08 #113415 by Disgustipater

TheDukester wrote: You play Carcassonne? I thought you were boycotting it for some reason; you've turned down my last couple of requests.

For one of those denials, I was at work, which is why I turned off Game Center, because I'm not capable of playing while at work. I turned down the last one (which had several of you guys in the game) because it was 7:30am on a Sunday. :)

TheDukester wrote: That said, have you checked out the Quick Play mode? Turns are limited to 90 seconds; the downside is that you're 99 percent likely to be playing a complete stranger.

I didn't know it existed. I don't really play it that much, mostly just when I play an online game, which is still pretty rare. My girlfriend on the other hand will sit down and play game after game for a hour or more at a time, but she usually just plays the AI.

TheDukester wrote: As far as asynch goes, you sort of have to take what you can get. You can't go into most asynch games and reasonably expect them to be completed in 3 hours. Some players play fast enough to finish a complete game in less than a day; others can't even average a single move per day. I've mentally separated my most frequent opponents into different categories, and I've stopped playing the super-slow ones, for the most part. But 95 percent of my games still go into a second day, at the very least.

If that's the norm in general, then I am sad to hear it. I guess because when I sit down to play a game, I want to play a game, and not take my turn whenever I can squeeze it in in between other stuff I'm doing. I guess that doesn't bode well for when Neuroshima Hex gets asynch.
More
19 Jan 2012 18:15 - 19 Jan 2012 18:18 #113418 by jeb
HAHAHAHAHA, oh man. I am laughing at the guy who says he wants games to take three hours, and then there's the guy that doesn't want them to take more than as if everyone was at the table. Too much.

As Duke as learned, I am not a good person to play asynch games with if you need things tidied quickly. There's four kids here! FOUR! And they are everywhere and always want attention and food and to be taken somewhere and the iPad all the time if I have it out. I will never ever finish a game fast. That's on the record. If you believe this about me, then I will leave you pleasantly surprised when things work out, but it will be rare.

That said, there are times when Duke and I are clearly on ASCENSION at the same time, and then I spend a lot of time waiting for him. I am guessing it's because I am playing a single game with Duke; and he is playing 12 games, one of which is with me. I will take my 5 second turn and then wait 40-60 until I get back in the rotation. That can be frustrating in a different way.

//edit: ASCENSION online uses some weird port or protocol that my corp firewall does not honor. So no ASCENSION for me at work. WORDS WITH FRIENDS is fine, HERO ACADEMY works, but CARC does not. C'est la guerre.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2012 18:18 by jeb.
More
19 Jan 2012 18:26 #113419 by TheDukester

jeb wrote: I am guessing it's because I am playing a single game with Duke; and he is playing 12 games, one of which is with me. I will take my 5 second turn and then wait 40-60 until I get back in the rotation.

Yeah, that's probably it, although it's more like 6-8 games, usually. I'll try to cycle through pretty quickly, I feel like I'm not holding anyone up.

OTOH, we've played five to 10 turns at a single burst, which is pretty sweet. I remember a couple of times we've even finished games off with long bursts (usually when I get home from the night shift).

I think Ascension might have a 90-second or "live game" mode before the end of the year. It's the second- or third-most requested feature, after adding chat.
More
19 Jan 2012 19:00 #113424 by hotseatgames
Ascension desperately needs chat. I'd get Carcassonne if it was cheaper; I doubt I'd get $10 worth out of it.

And I've been waiting patiently for Neuroshima to get asynch MP. Once that happens, it is ON. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy
More
19 Jan 2012 19:12 #113425 by TheDukester

hotseatgames wrote: Ascension desperately needs chat. I'd get Carcassonne if it was cheaper; I doubt I'd get $10 worth out of it.

And I've been waiting patiently for Neuroshima to get asynch MP. Once that happens, it is ON. :)

I was a Carc. doubter for quite a while, too, but I can say without any hesitation at all that it is worth every penny of $10. More, even. It's really a fantastic app.

NH online multiplayer = February. Keep in mind that that's already been pushed back from earlier announcements of November, then January.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds