October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2749 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
16 Jan 2012 04:33 #113000 by metalface13
I just realized last night how mind-blowingly amazing a fully-fledged version of Blood Bowl would be on the iPad. With online leagues and everything. It's too bad it'll probably never happen after the flop that was the Xbox game, although the PC version was much more implemented.

Space Hulk would also be good.
The topic has been locked.
More
16 Jan 2012 05:26 #113003 by dysjunct
Picked up Caylus. First impression is that it looks pretty but is a little off-putting -- it's hard to see the game state on the small screen, so you're constantly going back and forth from the main screen to the pop-out resource window and back again. And then scrolling the board all over to see what's what.

Compare to Puerto Rico, which has almost all important information front and center on the main screen -- the only thing lacking is which buildings are left in stock, which pulls up with one press.

Granted, PR had a learning curve where the whole screen looked too busy, so I'll still mess around with Caylus for now, and see if it improves.
More
16 Jan 2012 05:45 #113004 by Michael Barnes
Oh come on, I didn't beat y'all that bad...getting Samael so early on was a total coup though. I hardly had any deck points. And, I beat the both of you of while playing 21 other games.

Imrahil kicks my ass over and over again. He's a card sharp.

As of today, I'm declaring Ascension the best deck builder on the market. After playing it so much, you really start to see how subtle the design is and how much game there actually is. Its a game that really develops as your skill increases.

Caylus downloading now...
More
16 Jan 2012 07:36 #113009 by imrahil327

Michael Barnes wrote: Imrahil kicks my ass over and over again. He's a card sharp.

Haha, thanks...I've gotten a couple really good starts in our games. I wish you could see stats vs specific other players, because there are some guys who I think have MY number just as badly as I seem to have yours :)

In other iOS deckbuilding news: It was inevitable...
dominion.dominioniphone.com/
More
16 Jan 2012 13:55 #113026 by hotseatgames

Michael Barnes wrote: As of today, I'm declaring Ascension the best deck builder on the market. After playing it so much, you really start to see how subtle the design is and how much game there actually is. Its a game that really develops as your skill increases.

I still prefer Nightfall for its aggressive nature, but I fully agree about how Ascension changes with so much play. I've been playing a lot lately as well, and I feel like I'm getting quite good. Knowing how and when to purchase / play specific cards, both in response to your opponent and based on what cards are in the main row or in your deck really makes the game interesting. I only wish I was this good at Nightfall. Hopefully that happens when it finally hits iOS.
More
16 Jan 2012 16:06 #113054 by Black Barney
For Caylus and Puerto Rico, are they playable on an iPhone too or only iPads? The reason I'm asking is cuz I have a WP7 and if it is playable on iPhone, it'll likely come to my platform at some point which would be cool.

That's awesome that Chris is beating Mike at Ascension
More
16 Jan 2012 16:28 #113059 by jhuntin1

Black Barney wrote: For Caylus and Puerto Rico, are they playable on an iPhone too or only iPads? The reason I'm asking is cuz I have a WP7 and if it is playable on iPhone, it'll likely come to my platform at some point which would be cool.

That's awesome that Chris is beating Mike at Ascension

I just looked at Caylus in the app store (haven't pulled the trigger yet) and it is a universal app. Don't know if that means it will ever get to a Windows phone, but it will run on iPhones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney
More
16 Jan 2012 16:44 #113063 by OldHippy

Michael Barnes wrote: As of today, I'm declaring Ascension the best deck builder on the market. After playing it so much, you really start to see how subtle the design is and how much game there actually is. Its a game that really develops as your skill increases.

Caylus downloading now...

I think being able to play, what did you say? 16 matches at once, kind of changes the game. You have been able to see it on a deeper level because you are playing it so much. Put Domion, Puzzle Strike or Nightfall on iOS and you may change your mind. I'm judging all of them off the table top version for now and Ascencion is, in some ways, one of the less interesting games out there.

If the Dominion game comes with an expansion or two (or they are at least made available) you'll see a much deeper game for pure strategy and if Nightfall comes with one as well you'll see much better implementation of theme (the setting is irrelevant mostly).

I'm avoiding Caylus for now, I wish Puerto Rico was made for the phone too, but I also wish I had an iPad.

Played some of that Sally's Salon since BB mentioned it. I never thought I could have so much fun doing ladies hair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout, Black Barney
More
16 Jan 2012 17:17 #113070 by Black Barney

JonJacob wrote: Played some of that Sally's Salon since BB mentioned it. I never thought I could have so much fun doing ladies hair.

Isn't it great? Wait until you start doing their nails and once in a while you sit down at the manicure station and it's a GUY. And you don't have time to judge, you just paint those nails cuz clients they are a-waitin'.

I've fully upgraded my salon now and I'm sad cuz I want to be able to get more stuff but there's nothing else to buy. Best stuff to buy:

-extra chairs means less chance of clients not being able to get in the store, so that's great. Extra haircut chairs, extra waiting chairs, anything that seats clients.

-COFFEE. having coffee is amazing in the early game, useless in the middle game and probably good again when it gets tough near the end.

-candles. Both candles are great

-hairwash and dryer dedicated employees. You only have to move Sally from haircut to cash register and the final two seats. No need to have sally wasting her time washing or drying hair. It's bliss.

I still play this game a lot but have recently found BUG VILLAGE which is my first type of game like this (where you come back every day to tend and feed your bugs. It's really fun (no need to spend extra money on the game, the free version is fine) and the soundtrack is super relaxing.
More
16 Jan 2012 18:51 #113081 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: Isn't it great?

This post makes me think of Bronies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb
More
16 Jan 2012 21:37 #113099 by dragonstout

metalface13 wrote: Also, when is Wizards going to get their act together and put Magic on iOS? Like Magic Online with fully buyable packs of cards and deck building. That shiz would sell like crazy kinds of hotcakes.

Played Magic Online recently? Wizards has complete ass for programmers. I believe a GUI teacher has claimed that he used Magic Online III in a classroom to pick apart how every single graphic design choice made there was bad. There are features from Magic Online 2 that people have been clamoring for for 5 years without luck. My wife literally cried the first time she tried to use MTGO3 after having used MTGO2 plenty of times. It is the worst "professionally"-made software I can think of.

And they most certainly haven't ever made a Mac-compatible MTGO, and apparently they have no plans to with MTGO 4, either. So I wouldn't hold your breath.
More
16 Jan 2012 21:42 #113102 by Black Barney
My wife has been saying that the second that a good Magic games comes to my WP7, I'll be in heaven. They will likely release some sort of DUELS OF THE PLANESWALKERS Magic game for smartphones in short order I would think. It is more of a sealed-deck type of gameplay which doesn't cannibalize from MTGO at all. That is the main reason we're not seeing sanctionned digital magic games I think. They want to keep the cash cow that is MTGO alive and well.

DUELS OF THE PLANESWALKERS scratches my Magic itch completely. It's fun for Xbox360 and I hope it comes to my WP7 at some point.
More
17 Jan 2012 01:20 #113132 by Grudunza
Someone I know (who may or may not be me) is beta testing the Dominion app. It works really well, but the initial release will just be the base game. Can you imagine how sick of those cards I am by now? Also, I did complain about that light blue background for the screen. Man, that's ugly. They just added that recently... it looked a lot better before.
More
17 Jan 2012 02:02 #113133 by metalface13
I just think if Wizards switched Magic to a digital formate they'd make even more profits because you wouldn't have to mess with printing and distribution. But then you do have to deal with servers, hackers and programmers ...

I like Duels of the Planeswalkers just fine, just thought they might want to reel in the Magic junkies who have iPhones and iPads who could be buying packs of cards 24/7.
More
17 Jan 2012 04:29 #113140 by hotseatgames
I need more Hero Academy opponents. My game center ID is hotseatgames. :)
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds