October 09, 2023
2557 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2757 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
26 Nov 2016 13:37 #239160 by wadenels
I still am not in a place where I would spend over $300 on a single game that I've never played or even seen in person. I was going to back KD:M, but I decided to hold onto that money to see about a Nintendo Switch in a few months.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2016 23:21 #239178 by Frohike
I remember spending $300 initially just to play one game: Demon's Souls.

And the kids were too young to play at the time, so it was a purely selfish decision. Of course, it was an easier decision to make when I knew that I'd eventually get a few more games for PS3, but still, this feels similar to me.

While I understand the reservations about the unnecessarily boutique production/distribution model, I'll honestly say that it doesn't really matter to me, personally. I'm just interested in playing the hell out of the game, regardless of what ostensibly false pretense it's produced under (though I think Poots just probably doesn't want to deal with a business plan of that scale and scope).

If I did suddenly care at this point, I'd find this difficult to reconcile with any of the CMON stuff I've been backing. If anyone should cut the shit and stop crowdfunding, it should probably be them. What Poots is doing doesn't feel as cynical as what I'm seeing with other publishers, but again I can't say that I've gone to a place in the hobby where the motivations of the business model really matter to me. I guess that's kind of a consumerist attitude, tempered with the knowledge that I am simply supporting a game with design ideas that interest me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Vlad

More
27 Nov 2016 12:48 #239195 by Msample

Frohike wrote:
If I did suddenly care at this point, I'd find this difficult to reconcile with any of the CMON stuff I've been backing. If anyone should cut the shit and stop crowdfunding, it should probably be them. What Poots is doing doesn't feel as cynical as what I'm seeing with other publishers, but again I can't say that I've gone to a place in the hobby where the motivations of the business model really matter to me. I guess that's kind of a consumerist attitude, tempered with the knowledge that I am simply supporting a game with design ideas that interest me.

Agreed - CMON has had multiple KS that have raked in a shit ton of money. But as long as gamers keep giving them interest free loans, they'll keep doing it .

More
27 Nov 2016 13:12 #239197 by gversace
I wouldn't call a CMON campaign an "interest free" loan. They compensate backers with a lot of exclusives. It's the kickstarters that don't offer exclusives or a discount that I have an issue with.

More
28 Nov 2016 08:21 - 28 Nov 2016 08:28 #239233 by Mr. White
Clearly a personal opinion, but I've found that the Kickstarter format doesn't work for me. At all.

1) Apparently, I don't like paying for something and not receiving product directly.
2) FOMO. KS campaigns make you feel like you need to go all in or you've missed out.

To elaborate the second point, Sure, self restraint can curb this, but I don't like how the format pushes this button. When I buy something like Silver Tower it's almost a one and done purchase. I like to tinker and add to games, so anything I do is beyond the basic game and makes my set unique. If I were to buy a Kickstarted game (like Kingdom Death or Shadows of Brimstone) at retail, I'm feeling like I missed out on stuff. My set isn't 'complete' or feels 'less than'. I know this is completionist garbage, but it's there.

I do have a few outstanding blood bowl teams that I've backed waiting to come in, and once they do I'm closing my KS account. I have enough toys as is.

EDIT: What's this deal with the Cards Against Humanity people collecting like 100K to just dig a hole in the ground? Bizarre.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2016 08:28 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Vlad

More
28 Nov 2016 17:12 #239306 by wadenels
I've got the same kind of completionist bug. I've seen KIckstarters for things that look really cool that are under $100 for a lot of stuff, but upwards of $200+ for all the stuff. I want all the stuff. I don't want to pay $200. As annoying as that is, it's saved me a bunch of money I guess.

More
30 Nov 2016 07:39 #239412 by JEM
Everything Mr White is saying is true. Even so, I went all-in on Forbidden Fortress after thinking about dropping it. I can afford it, and I enjoy the current game a lot (a LOT).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
30 Nov 2016 11:43 - 30 Nov 2016 11:44 #239446 by Almalik

Everything Mr White is saying is true. Even so, I went all-in on Forbidden Fortress after thinking about dropping it. I can afford it, and I enjoy the current game a lot (a LOT).

Dude! You're running multiple campaigns and posting very regularly to your thread devoted to the game. If you hadn't backed it I would have been upset!
Last edit: 30 Nov 2016 11:44 by Almalik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Mr. White, Frohike, JEM

More
10 Dec 2016 13:52 #240305 by Secret Satan
Am I the only one thinking certain gamers are irredeemably stupid for backing this guy time and again?
www.kickstarter.com/projects/maydaygames...n-2-4-player-dexteri
555% FFS!

More
10 Dec 2016 15:03 #240307 by Not Sure

Secret Satan wrote: Am I the only one thinking certain gamers are irredeemably stupid for backing this guy time and again?
555% FFS!

"recessed screws to protect your table ".

SuperflyTNT has done some good in the world. Go you magnificent bastard, go.

(but I'd be more likely to back `Ebola: The Snack Food` than anything by MayDay)
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
11 Dec 2016 17:25 #240348 by Gregarius
I backed Isaribi after much internal debate: www.kickstarter.com/projects/167427101/i...our-op?ref=user_menu

I liked the game for its simple elegance when I played it, but it was notoriously hard to come by. It's not a world-changing great game, but I found it uniquely pleasant. What bothers me is the seemingly required Kickstarter attribute of "customized fisheeples." I don't want those; I prefer just simple cubes. I'm also not thrilled about the price. $30 is perfect, but tacking on another $10 for shipping makes it seem too much.

Wow, maybe I've just successfully talked myself out of it. I can probably get it on clearance in a year anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vegasrobb

More
12 Dec 2016 18:59 #240404 by vegasrobb
This was a tough one for me too.

In the end I decided not to back it. $40, I'll wait and see if it shows up on retail.

More
22 Dec 2016 12:12 #241184 by ChristopherMD
Received my copy of Hold the Line. Looks quite nice. Hopefully will get it played soon after the holidays.

More
22 Dec 2016 12:46 #241186 by Shellhead
I love it when I see something potentially good on Kickstarter and then I am able to buy it later because the Kickstarter was successful enough that they could get the product into retail stores, or at least sell it direct from their website. That's how I picked up both Camp Grizzly and Zimby Mojo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xthexlo

More
22 Dec 2016 13:19 - 22 Dec 2016 13:20 #241188 by SuperflyPete

Not Sure wrote:

Secret Satan wrote: Am I the only one thinking certain gamers are irredeemably stupid for backing this guy time and again?
555% FFS!

"recessed screws to protect your table ".

SuperflyTNT has done some good in the world. Go you magnificent bastard, go.

(but I'd be more likely to back `Ebola: The Snack Food` than anything by MayDay)

My table was fucking wrecked. If I see that guy in a dark alley, it's going to end badly for him.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2016 13:20 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds