October 09, 2023
2601 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2801 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
06 Nov 2016 01:33 #237512 by Frohike
I'm still hanging onto Dungeon Degenerates although wondering how much I'm going to play it. I do find it interesting that the designers seem unaware that they're basically re-designing Runebound but I like where they're going with it. Their $13 add-on packs for 2 characters are kind of stupid, though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2016 01:52 #237513 by Michael Barnes
I dropped it. Love the art, game is looking pretty lame and I'm not convinced that it's being made competently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
06 Nov 2016 08:26 #237516 by Mr. White
This Moonstone skirmish game has a good look about it. Sort of like gaming in the world of the movie Labyrinth. With sides only requiring 3-6 minis, it seems easy to get going.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1138228733/...antasy-skirmish-game

More
06 Nov 2016 09:52 #237520 by hotseatgames
I haven't jumped out of Dungeon Degenerates yet but I am pretty sure I'll be out. I haven't been thrilled with how the campaign has progressed.

More
06 Nov 2016 12:19 #237529 by cdennett

hotseatgames wrote: I haven't jumped out of Dungeon Degenerates yet but I am pretty sure I'll be out. I haven't been thrilled with how the campaign has progressed.

Same position here. I have no interest in dumping more money into this (especially with their high shipping), and I doubt there's enough game to warrant $65 to begin with. And for a first time designer to basically shit on anyone that disagrees with them gets old.

I'm probably out. If someone wants an early bird, let me know and I'll time my exit for ya.

More
06 Nov 2016 12:59 - 06 Nov 2016 12:59 #237531 by jpat
Fool me twice, maybe, but I'm so far in for Mythic Battles: Pantheon. The ability to cross over the boards and some other stuff with Conan was something of a draw. One of the stretch goals is a skeleton tile for Conan; while some people are probably annoyed at that being a (minor) SG, I think it'd probably be smart of Mythic/Monolith to have a Conan tile add-on option for at least all of the monsters.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2016 12:59 by jpat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

More
07 Nov 2016 21:11 #237681 by Frohike

cdennett wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: I haven't jumped out of Dungeon Degenerates yet but I am pretty sure I'll be out. I haven't been thrilled with how the campaign has progressed.

Same position here. I have no interest in dumping more money into this (especially with their high shipping), and I doubt there's enough game to warrant $65 to begin with. And for a first time designer to basically shit on anyone that disagrees with them gets old.

I'm probably out. If someone wants an early bird, let me know and I'll time my exit for ya.

Just dropped mine. 2 EBs are open now.

This thing is basically Runebound with zero editing for playability. You're rolling checks for virtually everything against, what 7 or 8 stats? It strikes me as having the fluffy gameplay of Runebound but with a trip to the rulebook every minute like an Eklund game. Does not appeal.

More
07 Nov 2016 22:12 #237685 by hotseatgames
I dumped my early bird as well. I think I'm going to be much more selective with KS from here on out.

More
07 Nov 2016 23:16 - 07 Nov 2016 23:53 #237686 by Frohike
Also, the $53 dollars of add-ons (just characters, mind you) for a $45 game didn't help. And that was after the bundle "deal" (it was $65 extra before that, wtf?).

I sat on that for a bit, then watched the designer play it and figured I'd rather play something like Frozen Wastes instead, regardless of how awesome that art is. I appreciate the ideas behind it... I just think they need an actual developer/publisher to smooth out the rube-goldberg/phil-eklund-roll-a-d6-for-everything-pet-project aspect of it. I know that sounds hypocritical coming from a Shadows of Malice fan, but I think this is missing the restraint of that design among other things (e.g. those cards full of text with PER and CON and STR modifiers, yeah, no thanks). I'll stop harping on it now. To me it just represents the unfortunate confluence that KS enables: lack of editing and huge presumptions about what price points people are willing to swallow.

I'll be seeing this one in math trades in a couple of years anyway.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2016 23:53 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
14 Nov 2016 09:22 #238295 by san il defanso
I normally stay away from Kickstarter, but for John Clowdus and a new sequel game of Omen I'll make an exception. Omen: Edge of the Aegean looks to be an extremely pared-down version of Omen, with all new cards and integration with Reign of War. Lots of Clowdus fans around here I know, so just wanted to make sure people knew about it.

I missed out on Omen: Reign of War until I got it in a trade earlier this year. I regret not getting into it earlier, because I think it might be my favorite new-to-me game of this year. Definitely didn't want to miss out on Edge of the Aegean, since Small Box Games tend to vanish after the initial campaign.

More
14 Nov 2016 09:33 #238298 by JEM
Clowdus is polling opinions on a reprint of Omen: RoW Omega so it might not be as unavailable in the future. They're all mini-shelf-toads for me and the last couple of games seemed half-baked so I'm out of SBG campaigns for now.

More
14 Nov 2016 09:37 #238300 by SuperflyPete
John either misses completely or hits a home run.

I'm a huge fan.

More
14 Nov 2016 11:06 #238314 by san il defanso
It's true that a weird game that doesn't get played still won't get played even if it's small and easy to store. I always keep an eye on SBG, but this pledge is more a show of faith in Omen than in Clowdus for me.

More
17 Nov 2016 09:05 #238630 by Almalik
Abaddon is getting a (potential) kickstarted expansion? Someone more cynical than myself might wonder if this small card/tile expansion were a way for Toy Vault to try and move a dusty warehouse full of the main game via Kickstarter pledges that include the base game.

More
17 Nov 2016 09:33 #238637 by hotseatgames
Ha! I have Abaddon and will sell it cheap. Interested parties, message me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds