October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
04 Apr 2017 10:58 #245940 by Gregarius
I was tempted by the new Impluse as well, but I had to be honest that I rarely get to play the base game, so the expansions would surely never see the light of day.

I did succumb to Empires of the Void II, even though I promised myself I wouldn't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2017 11:35 - 04 Apr 2017 11:35 #245943 by JEM
The new Impulse looks great, but yeah,I rarely get to play the original.

Another that I'm conflicted about is the (proposed?) KS for a new edition of Bios:Genesis so soon after the game just came out. They are offering an upgrade pack for original edition owners, but that's going to cost almost as much as the game did, with the new edition being something like $40. It feels like too much, too soon for me. I hope it's successful, even so.

I meant to mention on my Rising Sun gripes that I've already rented CMON over $200 with no fee awaiting Massive Darkness, but I see that getting 10x as much play.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2017 11:35 by JEM.

More
04 Apr 2017 12:08 #245948 by SuperflyPete
www.kickstarter.com/projects/1116304284/...-trigger-debut-album

I just backed this because a dear friend and fellow fattie has a dream to publish a CD of his tunes. I have also stated that he will be the recipient of an FCC complaint if he doesn't put a Keasby Nights cover as a hidden bonus track.

BACK A FELLOW FATTIE'S DREAM.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1116304284/...-trigger-debut-album

More
04 Apr 2017 13:07 #245952 by Frohike
Dropped my pledge to $1 for Rising Sun. I'm still not convinced that this one will be all that interesting, but hey, maybe a rulebook will change my mind (and purge the memory of those hammy/dumb gameplay videos from my memory). Or, I may be distracted from it entirely once Zombicide: BP: Green Horde comes along:

cmon.com/news/zombicide-green-horde-is-coming

More
04 Apr 2017 14:32 - 04 Apr 2017 14:32 #245954 by Grudunza
Gloomhaven is back for $99. I paid $245 and have no regrets at all. It's amazing.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/...inting?ref=discovery
Last edit: 04 Apr 2017 14:32 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Frohike, Feelitmon

More
04 Apr 2017 14:41 #245959 by charlest
We were interviewing Isaac last night for my podcast and I asked him what his expectations were in terms of backers/money. He was guarded of course, but it looks like he'll get where he's hoping to be. Good for him. I don't believe he made much money on the first Kickstarter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Frohike

More
04 Apr 2017 17:14 - 04 Apr 2017 17:15 #245964 by Grudunza

charlest wrote: We were interviewing Isaac last night for my podcast and I asked him what his expectations were in terms of backers/money. He was guarded of course, but it looks like he'll get where he's hoping to be. Good for him. I don't believe he made much money on the first Kickstarter.

Right, especially after the shipping hassles with Amazon. But holy shit, I just found out that the $99 includes shipping for US and Canada. That is an insane deal for what you get and how good it is. I can't imagine him making too much money as a margin this time, either, but he should do alright from sheer volume.

What's the podcast, Charles? I'll want to check that out.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2017 17:15 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
04 Apr 2017 18:51 #245966 by Frohike

Grudunza wrote: What's the podcast, Charles? I'll want to check that out.

www.dinganddentcast.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
04 Apr 2017 22:57 #245970 by Cranberries

charlest wrote: We were interviewing Isaac last night for my podcast and I asked him what his expectations were in terms of backers/money. He was guarded of course, but it looks like he'll get where he's hoping to be. Good for him. I don't believe he made much money on the first Kickstarter.

$957,519 pledged of $100,000 goal
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
05 Apr 2017 08:33 #245977 by drewcula
I gave CMON one whole dollar. I don't think I'm personally that interesting in Rising Sun, but the monster I've created called 'The College of Southern Maryland Board Game Club' is kind of excited. Not only am I the advisor, I'm the treasurer. The students have the money in the club account, and if they vote 'yes' - they'll have me order it (and I'll get reimbursed.) I have to stress to them that 1/2 of the current membership will graduate before the game delivers.

I bought some Wrestling card game last week. A lot of Adepticon Blood Bowl players were into it, and they pushed me into backing. It looks fine.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/1918193924/...tling?ref=nav_search

I currently have one dollar backing Gloomhaven. I guess I've been living under a rock. I need to do some research...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
05 Apr 2017 08:59 - 05 Apr 2017 08:59 #245981 by charlest

Frohike wrote:

Grudunza wrote: What's the podcast, Charles? I'll want to check that out.

www.dinganddentcast.com/

Thanks, Paul.

The episode featuring Gloomhaven/Isaac will be up tonight, around 4:30PM CST. Besides our website, you can find us on iTunes, Soundcloud, Google play, or whatever your preferred podcast app is (just search Ding & Dent). I think a few FATties are regular listeners but I try not to self-promote too much around here as I enjoy the community and don't want to take it for granted.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2017 08:59 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete, Frohike, Gregarius

More
05 Apr 2017 10:11 #245990 by bryce0lynch
The hyper machine got me. In the last month I've backed both Kingdom Death (late) and Gloomhaven. Both seem adventury, and I like adventury games. Besides, I should finish all my SHerlock Holmes expansions and Mansions of Madness expansions before they arrive.

More
05 Apr 2017 11:03 - 05 Apr 2017 13:54 #245996 by barrowdown
Basically, exactly what bryce said. I late backed Kingdom Death and am considering Gloomhaven. Well, except for that part about finishing other games' expansions.

I'm backing Kingdom Death because I really like the idea of the game, every review (both positive and negative) pushes me more towards wanting it. The adversary minis are definitely a draw, though I am probably going with a very simple statue/muted single point of light scheme. My only concern besides the obvious cost (which through selling off currently owned games is largely a non-factor) was the exploitative imagery expressed by the pinups and some of the game cards (this is unrelated to any nudity as I have no problem with that). The violence and body horror is completely different for me. Although I would certainly not let my mini-human play with it, that does not bother me in the same way.

Gloomhaven looks awesome and seems like something I would enjoy. It has the same basic pull as Kingdom Death with its reviews. My only concerns here are monetary. After purchasing an expensive game (KD:M), ordering a lot of MDF terrain, expand my Infinity stuff, and wanting to get a lot of GW's new releases, is that really something I want to add to the pile?
Last edit: 05 Apr 2017 13:54 by barrowdown.

More
05 Apr 2017 11:16 #245998 by hotseatgames
Anyone who was on the fence about the Promethium Forge terrain kickstarter doesn't need to worry any more; he is not accepting any more pledges because the project got too out of hand. If you already pledged, you're all set. Or... at least as set as anyone is, hoping a kickstarter fulfills.

More
05 Apr 2017 13:39 - 05 Apr 2017 13:49 #246012 by Wetworks
I was tempted to get onboard the Glooomhaven hype train and back the reprint KS but I have Sword & Sorcery coming in a couple months and Kingdom Death coming around fall. Both are long campaign style games and I don't think I need another for quite a while, besides the Gloomhaven KS has no exclusives and is really just a preorder. You might be able to pick it up cheaper at an online retailer after the KS ships.

On the flip side I'm seriously thinking about grabbing Aeon's End: War Eternal , It's a standalone expansion to the base game which I passed on last year. It's a blend of Sentinels of the Multiverse and a deckbuilder with strong co-op elements, reviews were all glowing and you get the game + 2 small expansions for KS'ing. The major complaint about the original was the lackluster graphic design which they've greatly improved upon with the new KS. Two other small bonuses are free shipping in the U.S. and the game is scheduled for delivery this Aug by GenCon, all the art files are already created and ready to be printed.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2017 13:49 by Wetworks.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds