October 09, 2023
2561 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2762 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
10 Jan 2024 16:38 #341520 by Rliyen
Watched Inu-Oh on Hulu last night. Definitely gave me vibes of American Pop! by Ralph Bakshi. Movie covers themes about tradition vs. pushing boundaries both political and musically. There's also an overarching theme of greed with regards to one of the major characters, and what he does to quench it.

I really liked American Pop and this one felt like its cousin on many levels.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2024 19:14 - 12 Jan 2024 19:19 #341538 by Cranberries

n815e wrote: I remember parts of that movie made me feel uncomfortable as a child. My dad watched it often and we always saw it with him.

We should discuss movies our dads took us to.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2024 19:19 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
13 Jan 2024 01:10 #341539 by jason10mm

Cranberries wrote:

n815e wrote: I remember parts of that movie made me feel uncomfortable as a child. My dad watched it often and we always saw it with him.

Never Say Never Again, pretty sure the first film I saw with just my dad and probably one of the first theatrical experiences I had. That off-shoot Bond film has an eternal place in my heart for this.

More
13 Jan 2024 08:54 #341540 by Shellhead
My dad took me to see National Lampoon's Class Reunion (1982), in hopes that it would be a sequel to Animal House. It was not a sequel and it was also not very funny. But first we had dinner at a Mexican restaurant with great-tasting food, where I got food poisoning, which made itself known during the second half of the movie. That Mexican place eventually got shut down a couple of times for health code violations and finally went out of business.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, n815e

More
14 Jan 2024 08:56 - 14 Jan 2024 08:57 #341541 by Shellhead
It's very cold this weekend, and after a stressful week at work, I decided to disregard most of my list of things to do, and instead watched some tv and movies.

I have already seen so many memes derived from Mean Girls (2004) that I never felt a strong need to see the actual movie, but I'm glad that I finally did. So many good lines, and such a talented cast. Lindsay Lohan was at the top of her game back then, though she is supposedly finally making a comeback now. Anyway, I have always enjoyed movies that combine dark humor with high school, like Heathers, Jennifer's Body, and the criminally underrated Three O'Clock High. By contrast, John Hughes movies always struck me as slightly bogus, weighted down with cliches, stereotypes, and forced moments.

Chasing Amy (1997) is a refreshing and mildly amusing alternative to all the generic rom coms and had the boldness to address gay sexuality at a time when our society still flinched from the topic. However, it also fumbles those same themes because director/writer Kevin Smith leads with his own misconceptions instead of trying to learn more. Ben Affleck does a decent job in the lead role, and I say that as someone who is not a fan of him. Jason Lee looks exactly like a Matt Wagner character even before he shows up in a Mage t-shirt, but his overbearing delivery of some of his lines becomes intolerable. Joey Lauren Adams is the real star, transcending her modest visual appeal with considerable charm. The sweet spot of the movie is the developing relationship between Adams' and Affleck's characters, but it leads to an insufferable clunker of a denouement where Affleck's character destroys the two most important relationships in his life. Still worth watching, at least once.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2024 08:57 by Shellhead. Reason: boldface font applied
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, dysjunct, allismom3, Sagrilarus, jason10mm, hotseatgames, sornars

More
14 Jan 2024 18:50 #341542 by n815e

Cranberries wrote:

My dad was a cinephile, and he took me to see loads of great movies from the late 70s to the early 90s. At home, he had a projector and bought movies on film. He took us to screenings of old flicks and as a kid I was watching everything from silent movies to the newest releases.

It’s his influence that lead me to appreciate them and collect them, too. My own son loves Abbott and Costello, as well as the Marx Brothers. Although they never met, I think this is a part of my dad living on in my child.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Jackwraith, DarthJoJo

More
14 Jan 2024 21:09 - 15 Jan 2024 14:58 #341543 by Jackwraith
I love the Marx Brothers from having seen them on one of the old, local UHF stations when I was a kid. I only later learned that my dad was a big Groucho fan from his work on game shows in the 50s (we did not and do not have much of a relationship, so the idea of "movies that I saw with my dad" is basically a non-factor here.) I remember the first joke that I laughed at until my sides hurt was when Margaret Dumont in A Day at the Races said: "I've never been so insulted in all my life!" And Groucho looks at his watch and says: "Eh. It's early yet."
Last edit: 15 Jan 2024 14:58 by Jackwraith.

More
15 Jan 2024 13:19 #341544 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: I have already seen so many memes derived from Mean Girls (2004) that I never felt a strong need to see the actual movie, but I'm glad that I finally did.

That movie is so fetch.

I live with my wife and my daughter and Friday nights are movie night. Usually it's something old, but good. They've finally tired of watching Adam Sandler films thank God. Once each is plenty. But Mean Girls came up a few weeks back and I came away with the same impression as you -- so much of its dialogue has entered into the culture. You don't appreciate that it's the source.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
15 Jan 2024 19:10 - 15 Jan 2024 19:13 #341548 by ChristopherMD
Captain Marvel 2 The Marvels - I don't keep up with the greater MCU stuff anymore, but as one of the half-dozen people who didn't hate Captain Marvel, I wanted to give this a shot. It's a short, silly movie with Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, and Monica Rambeau. Due to some reversed polarity, they're quantum entangled - it's not a brain movie - so they constantly switch places, which does make some fun fight scenes. Very self-contained other than more Young Avengers setup.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2024 19:13 by ChristopherMD.

More
20 Jan 2024 21:42 #341588 by Cranberries
Our only adult friends invited us to see Poor Things.

I saw the 8.4 rating on IMDB and was on board.

Warning: Spoiler!

It’s also sort of a riff on Frankenstein. I think they had to work to bring this down from NC-17.

More
21 Jan 2024 00:04 #341590 by dysjunct
That spoiler block might be the worst thing I've read on this site. JFC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, sornars, Nodens

More
21 Jan 2024 14:44 #341596 by Jackwraith
I don't think it can be simplified quite that much (which does make it sound really bad), but I've been sitting on a review of it for two weeks that I can't seem to get motivated on because I just wasn't that impressed, other than with Stone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
21 Jan 2024 15:21 #341597 by ChristopherMD
Read the spoiler, thought wtf, then looked up the movie.

"directed by Yorgos Lanthimos"

That explains everything.

More
21 Jan 2024 15:43 #341600 by jason10mm

Cranberries wrote: Our only adult friends invited us to see Poor Things.

I saw the 8.4 rating on IMDB and was on board.

Warning: Spoiler!

It’s also sort of a riff on Frankenstein. I think they had to work to bring this down from NC-17.

Huh, kinda like a reverse of Kirsten Dunst's character in Interview with a Vampire then?

I dig stuff that really tries to explore the relationship our mind has with our physical bodies. Few films even try to grok that without a physical body to hyperventilate, sweat, and be tachycardic the brain in isolation would probably not feel fear in nearly the same way. Or the role hormones and physical response has on lust, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
21 Jan 2024 22:20 - 21 Jan 2024 22:22 #341601 by Cranberries
Emma Stone said:

“One of the things that we had talked about from very early on and I thought was extremely important was that Bella is completely free and without shame about her body,” Stone said. “She doesn’t know to be embarrassed by these things or to cover things up or not dive into the full experience when it comes to anything.” Stone further noted that for the “camera to sort of shy away from that, or to say, ‘OK, well, we’ll just cut all of this out because our society functions in a particular way’…felt like a lack of being honest about who Bella is.”

I just wasn’t planning on an NC-17 movie that evening. Like going to the hot springs and getting ambushed by naked old dudes with their dangly bits.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2024 22:22 by Cranberries.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds