October 09, 2023
2559 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2761 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
05 Sep 2023 11:27 #340447 by Msample
The opening scene was great because it established Christopher Waltz's character. But the rathskellar scene was typical Tarantino self indulgence - the fucking card on the forehead bullshit dragged on way too long IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, Dive-Dive-Dive!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2023 11:43 #340448 by DarthJoJo
Basterds was immediately my favorite Tarantino when I first saw it. It has all of his hallmarks, for better and worse, but I thought the boy was demonstrating some introspection regarding violence for the first time in his life. The face of Eli Roth makes as he mutilates the body of Hitler in a burning theater? The joy in beating a prisoner to death and that quick cut to the body trembling? It may not be sympathy for the victims, but it is, at least, a queasiness at the suffering and hate that produced it.

But no. Django and Hateful Eight pretty well proved Tarantino just enjoyed the violence and seeing those who deserve it take it. Not that he’s entirely off base, but it’s the more pat position to take.

More
05 Sep 2023 12:21 #340449 by Shellhead
Those are my three least favorite Tarantino movies: Django, Hateful Eight, and Inglorious Basterds, in that order. I saw Hateful Eight in a nearly vacant theater (it was a weekday matinee), and these two Asian teenagers kept giggling every time some said the n-word on screen. That hurt my enthusiasm for the movie, and those kids would have probably considered Django an epic comedy. I was still willing to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood until I heard about the Bruce Lee scene. I've had enough of Tarantino's casual racism and decided to skip it. I still enjoy his earlier movies, all the way up to and including Death Proof.

More
08 Sep 2023 23:00 #340475 by Shellhead
The Blair Witch Project was a good idea that turned into a bad movie, though I finally caught a brief chill in the final minutes. The Descent was a good horror movie, but for some reason I have only re-watched it once, so something didn't quite sit right with me.

I just finished watching As Above, So Below (2014) on Amazon Prime, and it is a very good horror movie that seems to be influenced by the best parts of both The Blair Witch Project and The Descent. And yet it is very much an original movie. An obsessive archaeologist ventures into the extensive catacombs beneath Paris (which really exist) in search of the legendary Philosopher's Stone. The movie builds suspense gradually but steadily, then plunges into mayhem and madness. It does the viewer the great courtesy of letting you figure things out yourself, and also of leaving others unexplained and therefore more creepy. I don't scare easily, but this movie really had me on edge and managed a couple of real scares near the end. There is one final eerie twist and an ending that is oddly both unsatisfying and yet just right. The one reason why some of you might not enjoy it is that the handheld camera work can feel chaotic at times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, n815e

More
09 Sep 2023 01:33 #340477 by n815e
You’ll probably laugh at me, but when I went to see Blair Witch it had just come out, I never heard of it. From what I was told, we were going to see some documentary on a supposed haunting, which I automatically discounted, but was going along on a double date.

The theater was an art theater in Greenwich Village. The lobby had displays of props that were shown as “artifacts collected from the site”. That was in line with the idea of a documentary I thought I was going to see.

The movie scared the shit out of me. I don’t believe in ghosts, I thought I was watching a documentary and that what the “film crew” were experiencing was like some locals that decided to fuck with them and maybe murder them. The entire time the movie got progressively more disturbing in the context of me being completely fooled into thinking I was watching actual footage.

I think other people would probably be embarrassed by this story, 20 something years later. But that turned out to be one of the greatest movie experiences of my life, because my belief in what I was watching was so real. I was bored at first, some stupid documentary that’s going to lead to nothing. And then being increasingly terrified for these people.

That was priceless.

More
11 Sep 2023 10:34 #340490 by Shellhead
Heather Donahue, the female lead in The Blair Witch Project, was afraid during the filming of the movie. She was worried that it might be a snuff movie, so she brought a knife with her for the camping portion of the shoot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
17 Sep 2023 09:23 #340570 by Shellhead
Saw another good but obscure movie on Amazon Prime last night: Stand Up Guys (2013). Al Pacino, Christopher Walken, and Alan Arkin play three old retired gangsters. It's mildly funny, mildly sweet reflection on age and mortality, with a surprising amount of action. Pacino isn't shouting and Walken isn't playing his usual self-caricature, which is two big pluses because we get to see them doing decent acting. Arkin steals some scenes, and it's bittersweet because he died in real life this year. Julianna Marguiles is present and accounted for, and some supporting players have some good moments onscreen. I think FAT:ties here are the ideal audience for this comedy.

More
09 Oct 2023 00:38 - 09 Oct 2023 00:39 #340720 by jason10mm
Totally Killer on amazon. This is a FANTASTIC 80's mock horror film. It constantly throws modern "values" against the 80's and as a deconstruction of the slasher genre it's quite good. It's a fairly light comedy until it suddenly isn't.

So much stone washed denim...and the soundtrack is banging!
Last edit: 09 Oct 2023 00:39 by jason10mm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Mantidman, n815e

More
09 Oct 2023 10:01 #340722 by hotseatgames
I watched IT chapter 2. Chapter 1 was way better, I thought this was pretty hacky. I just felt embarrassed for the actors most of the time with the dumb things they had to say.

More
14 Oct 2023 10:27 #340759 by hotseatgames

jason10mm wrote: Totally Killer on amazon. This is a FANTASTIC 80's mock horror film. It constantly throws modern "values" against the 80's and as a deconstruction of the slasher genre it's quite good. It's a fairly light comedy until it suddenly isn't.

So much stone washed denim...and the soundtrack is banging!

Watched this last night, it was a good time! And they play New Order, always a plus.

More
14 Oct 2023 21:07 #340763 by DarthJoJo
Apple TV+’s CODA is absolutely derivative. Child has an interest well outside of the family’s expectations. They pursue it, overcome resistance and step into their own lives. It’s been done with the well-heeled families and immigrant families.

Now it’s been done with the hearing and singing daughter of a deaf family, and it’s excellent. There are no surprises, but it doesn’t matter when everything is so well executed. The setting, both small town Massachusetts and a deaf home, are fully realized. Acting is great top to bottom, which is a treat I didn’t recognize any names.

Appreciated too that the movie never stoops to be an after school special and explain the deaf experience. It just looks at their lives and lets them exist. They’re not victims or tokens. Just a particular fishing family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, hotseatgames, sornars, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
15 Oct 2023 05:11 #340766 by Nodens
A Haunting in Venice in the theatre. By and with Kenneth Branagh and a thoroughly great cast, this is an old school mystery and an hommage and an ensemble piece and the right amount of spooky.
My biggest fear going in was how a lanky Kenneth would interpret an ageing slob from Belgium, which was unfounded. It looks like some people had so much fun making this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars

More
15 Oct 2023 11:01 #340767 by Disgustipater

Nodens wrote: My biggest fear going in was how a lanky Kenneth would interpret an ageing slob from Belgium, which was unfounded.

As this is his third run at the role, he should have it down by now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
15 Oct 2023 14:16 - 15 Oct 2023 15:12 #340769 by Nodens
A large number of internet critics seems to disagree, or maybe they just hate the guy on principle, hard to tell. What did you think?
Last edit: 15 Oct 2023 15:12 by Nodens.

More
15 Oct 2023 15:31 #340770 by Disgustipater

Nodens wrote: A large number of internet critics seems to disagree, or maybe they just hate the guy on principle, hard to tell. What did you think?

To be honest, I've only seen Orient Express, and I don't know anything about the character as a whole. From what I was told, the book this movie was based on did not have a haunting, nor did it take place in Venice, so to me, it doesn't really matter. New editions of stories (read: reboots) can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned, including changing up characterizations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.609 seconds