October 09, 2023
2671 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2849 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
20 Nov 2011 17:31 #108197 by TheDukester
Holy hand grenades, Joan of Arc just went $5.99 -->> Free.

I'm not seeing how you can beat that price; I'm downloading now before they change their minds.

appshopper.com/games/joan-of-arc-the-game
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, jhuntin1
The topic has been locked.
More
20 Nov 2011 19:18 #108202 by Bullwinkle

TheDukester wrote: Holy hand grenades, Joan of Arc just went $5.99 -->> Free.

So did Alien Menace , the card-based game by the same developer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb
More
21 Nov 2011 22:26 #108290 by Dair

Bullwinkle wrote:

TheDukester wrote: Holy hand grenades, Joan of Arc just went $5.99 -->> Free.

So did Alien Menace , the card-based game by the same developer.

Joan of Arc is no longer free :( , but Alien Menace was still free.
More
26 Nov 2011 21:52 #108516 by Stephen Avery
I *finally* got a droid this weekend. What apps do people consider essential/fun (they are the same definition for me :)

Steve"YesterdayMan"Avery
More
27 Nov 2011 04:12 #108522 by jeb
Did PopCap make any Droid games? They are shit hot, if so. Look for those. Get ELDER SIGN, duh.
More
27 Nov 2011 12:44 #108535 by mads b.
I haven't played it much, but one of the first games I got for my android phone was called Zombie Run. It's all about reaching your goal without getting eaten by zombies, but the cool thing is you play it in real life by plotting a destination on your phone's map. Then you have to actually walk to that destination trying not to be hit by zombies that relentlessly move towards you on the map. It's a lot of fun and can generate some tense moments.

Other than that Pocket Racing is a cool little racing game, and I've also spent too much time playing a yahtzee game that's now called Zen Dice but nonetheless is still Yahtzee.
More
29 Nov 2011 17:22 #108852 by Grudunza
Catching up on some recent releases I've tried (iPhone/iPod Touch only)...

Cabals: The Card Game

Very good. A tactical board/card game, kind of like Summoner Wars. Free for now with a basic set of cards, but they want you to buy more. I have a feeling that when the Summoner Wars app comes out, that I'll be done with this and just play SW. But for now, it's great.

Ticket to Ride Pocket

Works well. It's TTR. Nuff said.

Lines of Gold

Another Knizia solitaire game. Pretty interesting and challenging, but hasn't grabbed me as much as Teocalli , as far as Knizia solitaire apps go.

New World Colony

Settlers of Catan-ish. I haven't really played through it yet, but from the tutorial it looks good.

Tiny Token Empires

A weird combination of a tactical strategy game vaguely in the style of the Total War series (depicted in a much more cartoonish way), and then you play a match-3 thing for the battles. Seems fun, though.

Crimson: Steam Pirates

A tactical ship battle game, akin to iAdmiral. Played through the introductory scenario, and I like it so far.

More
29 Nov 2011 18:10 #108857 by Michael Barnes
War On Terror. Yes, that one. $4.99.
More
29 Nov 2011 18:16 #108858 by TheDukester
Looking at Grudunza's post is just a sobering reminder of how I'm really starting to spend a lot of money on this digital crack — I've got everything on that list, with one exception. I don't even look at those "Your iTunes receipt" emails any more; they frighten me.

That said, I'll add that Crimson is excellent (and eight new missions have been released; woot!). Yes, it is on rails. Big time. But if you can get past that, it's hours and hours of good gaming.
More
29 Nov 2011 18:20 - 29 Nov 2011 18:26 #108859 by Grudunza

Michael Barnes wrote: War On Terror. Yes, that one. $4.99.

Ah, right. I saw that, but haven't picked it up yet. Here's the link, btw: itunes.apple.com/app/war-on-terror/id421716803?mt=8

Also, Forbidden Island is available for iPad now. Supposed to be a great implementation. itunes.apple.com/app/forbidden-island/id427419772?mt=8
Last edit: 29 Nov 2011 18:26 by Grudunza.
More
29 Nov 2011 18:26 #108860 by billyz

Michael Barnes wrote: War On Terror. Yes, that one. $4.99.

Holy shit...*digs through pockets for ipod touch*
More
29 Nov 2011 18:27 #108861 by TheDukester

Grudunza wrote: Also, Forbidden Island is available for iPad now. Supposed to be a great implementation.

It's fantastic ... 9/10. The missing point is only because it could do more with leaderboards/achievements/GameCenter.
More
29 Nov 2011 18:35 #108864 by Grudunza
More
29 Nov 2011 19:18 #108867 by jeb
Let's make this formal.

Folks should go buy this. I haven't yet, but will later. WAR ON TERROR .

I have been enjoying TIGRIS & EUPHRATES {+}, which is a decent civ-very-lite game and usually does pretty well for a Euro amongst the AT crowd. Shit can get real when you break out the catastrophe tiles.

Racking up a ton of miles in JETPACK JOYRIDE {+}. It's a CANABALT runner with a ton of cheevos and bonuses to keep you going.

...and I can confirm that FORBIDDEN ISLAND {iPad only} is awesome. It's kicking my ass though! Cripes! Only one layout, but the dev said that's the first thing they are working on.
More
29 Nov 2011 19:52 #108874 by Michael Barnes
War on Terror is somewhat streamlined, especially in the way terrorists work. You can't hold them off board as deterrents or anything like that. There aren't cards like in the board game either, although combat is still resolved using those little charts. There is no Axis of Evil, and no Balaclava although it does make a cameo appearance. That said, it's really damn good, and it totally works as an IOS conquest game. It does suck that it's single player only. The presentation is outstanding though, lots of humour and fun touches. The credits screen is "Torture School" and you have to tap to torture the three designers, extracting information from them until they're a bloody pulp. The oil rolls are accompanied by a full-screen "Oil" written in showbiz lights with a top-hatted Western businessman and an oil sheik skipping together across the screen. Funny stuff, they really put some effort into it.

Tigris & Euphrates is fucking awesome. The AI is balls ass hard, and it's nice that the tutorial includes some of the more advanced strategies. Up there with Neuroshima Hex.

Cabal actually looks great. I've just played one game, but I really like the early 20th century occult vibe that's actually NOT Lovecraftian for a god damned change. Very interesting that one of the heroes is Karl Maria Wiligut, who was a German occultist heavily involved with Himmler and the SS...then there's the Vril Society, another Germanic occult lodge with Nazi ties. But you've also got Rasputin, faeries, and magic pigs, too. Neat game. Don't know about the freemium part of it though, but it could be worth a couple of extra purchases.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds