October 09, 2023
2716 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2877 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching ARCHIVE

More
26 Dec 2014 23:14 #193357 by Sagrilarus

Grudunza wrote: Watched the rest of Black Mirror (well, the six episodes on Netflix... there's also a new Christmas episode). Fascinating and amazing show in many ways, but I also feel like it declined a bit in the second season.

Truly fucking awful TV. I pushed farther to give it a chance since you guys recommended, then fast-forwarded through much of the sheer shit of it, tuned in at the end. Truly, truly fucking awful TV.

S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2014 23:30 #193358 by Gary Sax
I got the Cowboy Bebop blurays. I'm not very into anime but I do adore that series, so I'm excited to watch it again.

More
27 Dec 2014 02:42 - 27 Dec 2014 03:24 #193361 by Grudunza

Sagrilarus wrote:

Grudunza wrote: Watched the rest of Black Mirror (well, the six episodes on Netflix... there's also a new Christmas episode). Fascinating and amazing show in many ways, but I also feel like it declined a bit in the second season.

Truly fucking awful TV. I pushed farther to give it a chance since you guys recommended, then fast-forwarded through much of the sheer shit of it, tuned in at the end. Truly, truly fucking awful TV.

S.

That first episode premise is *by far* the most obnoxious one, or only real obnoxious one in that kind of sense. But I found it provocative in a Truman Show kind of way, as a commentary on society and how we would likely react if such a thing actually happened, and the ending as a twisted artistic statement. Really, though, at least give the next one a look. Each premise and cast is totally different, and that second episode is a poignant dystopian story that is considered by many to be the best of the whole series. Or check out the third one, about a husband suspicious of his wife and using the recorded playback of their lives as evidence. Very cool stuff, reminiscent of Hitchcock, though as I said before, I expect the film version could take it to another level.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2014 03:24 by Grudunza.

More
27 Dec 2014 08:21 #193363 by Sagrilarus
Unfortunately I think the commentary was dead wrong. I think I would have had plenty of company out on the streets avoiding the broadcast. The entire premise of the plot was flawed in my opinion.

More
27 Dec 2014 09:01 #193364 by Josh Look
Yeah, Black Mirror is shit. Everyone can take their Twilight Zone comparisons and shove them. Twilight Zone it ain't.

I too am getting the Cowboy Bebop blurays. It's literally the only anime I can stand, but I really love it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
27 Dec 2014 10:41 - 27 Dec 2014 13:02 #193365 by Gary Sax

Josh Look wrote: I too am getting the Cowboy Bebop blurays. It's literally the only anime I can stand, but I really love it.

I know what you mean... I wouldn't say the only one, but one of the only ones. I know it's heresy, but I also really like that it has a excellent dub.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2014 13:02 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
27 Dec 2014 11:05 #193366 by Grudunza
Shit? Awful? Not like a postmodern Twilight Zone? You guys are *nuts*. Lol.

Sag, of course it's exaggerated for satire, but you really don't think a lot of people would watch that? If it was GW Bush, for example? You may have skipped this part, but as the people were watching they were showing them recoiling in horror as if to say, what the hell are we doing... And the guy became a hero of sorts, because people realized the depravity of it was more on them than him, and what he did was a true sacrifice.

The extended Christmas episode with the Mad Men guy was fantastic, btw.

More
27 Dec 2014 11:07 #193367 by OldHippy
I want to see Black Mirror now, Josh's 'this is not Twilight Zone' statement makes me want to see it. Amazing Stories (in the 80's) was also definitely NOT Twilight Zone... but it was still good enough to be worthwhile. Is it at least close to that?

In any case there are no absolutes in television and I'm going to hope you guys just have different taste. The fact that it is even mentioned in the same sentence or hey... paragraph, as one of the best shows of all time means I am curious enough to watch at least a couple.

Also, that format lends itself to being able to be shit one episode and brilliant the next... if it does indeed use whole new people every episode.

I started watching Constantine... cheesy as all hell if you ask me, but I enjoy it as some light fun. It feels like Sunday afternoon television. The kind of time I might watch Xena of Hercules. Not great but watchable and possibly promising. We'll see what happens.

I was kind of surprised by Silicon Valley which was not as funny as I wanted but was more interesting than I was expecting. Great show actually and I'm happy to see Kumail Nanjiani get on TV. His album Beta Male is one of the better stand up comedy albums of the last five years and he deserves a good pay day for that. Stand Up's just aren't recognized by the general public except maybe two or three at a time and right now it's all Louis CK and Bill Burr... There's no room for the other twenty equally talented people working to make good money. So we loose a lot of great artists to television or movies because of that.

More
27 Dec 2014 11:32 #193369 by Gary Sax
I watched the first three episodes of Silicon Valley and quite enjoyed it. I think you're spot on that the satire of the tech culture is so cutting the but the humor is not consistent. Man, the startup guru guy (who later died in real life) is AMAZING.

Though the clip from the last episode of the season about the dicks had me rolling.

More
27 Dec 2014 11:58 - 27 Dec 2014 11:58 #193370 by OldHippy

Gary Sax wrote: Man, the startup guru guy (who later died in real life) is AMAZING.

Nooooooooooooooooo

I did not know that.

His sesame seed bit in the show was great. Peter Gregory is a great character and he played him really well. I will certainly miss him in season 2. What a shame.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2014 11:58 by OldHippy.

More
27 Dec 2014 12:03 #193371 by Gary Sax
Yeah, Mike Judge said he would never recast the part because it basically can't be topped.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
27 Dec 2014 12:59 #193373 by Josh Look

Gary Sax wrote:

Josh Look wrote: I too am getting the Cowboy Bebop blurays. It's literally the only anime I can stand, but I really love it.

I know what you mean... I wouldn't say the only one, but one of the only ones. I know its heresy, but I also really like that it has a excellent dub.

I used to think that maybe it was a case of "It's not the band but their fans," but I've realized that it really is both. Terrible of me, I'm sure but I can't help it. I hate the stuff and I've tried a lot of it. Put bounty hunter a space ship, though? I'm in.

And yes, the dub rules.

More
27 Dec 2014 15:08 #193377 by Sagrilarus

Grudunza wrote: Shit? Awful? Not like a postmodern Twilight Zone? You guys are *nuts*. Lol.

Sag, of course it's exaggerated for satire, but you really don't think a lot of people would watch that? If it was GW Bush, for example? You may have skipped this part, but as the people were watching they were showing them recoiling in horror as if to say, what the hell are we doing... And the guy became a hero of sorts, because people realized the depravity of it was more on them than him, and what he did was a true sacrifice.

I'm sure some would, but the streets sure as hell wouldn't be empty. Even half empty. Oh my gosh! I just figured out that pig sex is distasteful! Who knew? C'mon.

Lazy writing, unsupported premise. Let's go with shock value to sell ad time because it's easy.

More
27 Dec 2014 15:16 #193379 by repoman
If you like Cowboy BeBop, you'd probably dig Samurai Champloo which I think is actually better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
27 Dec 2014 15:33 #193380 by Gary Sax
I liked that one too.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds