October 09, 2023
2722 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2882 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching ARCHIVE

More
20 Nov 2014 09:25 #191090 by hotseatgames
Ah... I was a bit confused on that part. At one point they did seem to act like they weren't Irish but at another it seemed like they were talking about Ireland as where they were from.

Half the time I can't understand what the hell they are saying. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2014 10:46 #191104 by ThirstyMan
Subtitles are your friend

More
24 Nov 2014 12:42 #191340 by Green Lantern
The latest episode of Star Wars Rebels stepped up the game a bit. I am never one to notice little bits of technical wizardry but the lighting in the chase scene was awesome, and I've noticed the team has stepped up their animation from the Clone Wars. I'm not sure if it's added time and Disney money or simply the team has mastered their craft but the animation is spectacular. Things like the change to the lightsaber blades go a long way in harking back to Episode IV, for example. The characters are starting to develop into their own as well. This episode dropped an interesting detail with Ezra's birthday as well and I am curious to see how that plays out over the course of the series. Then again, it may have been a throw away bit of info or a red herring to get the fan base talking.

More
24 Nov 2014 13:48 #191345 by Shellhead
Season two of Breaking Bad ended up being not quite as interesting as season one. And since both seasons were short, I had time to re-watch a few episodes of each before bringing them back to the library. It turns out that Breaking Bad has terrible replay value. The family scenes are often somewhat boring, and even the cool scenes fall a bit flat on replay once the surprise is gone. Part of the problem is that the show often over-explains things to the viewer, which is tolerable the first time around and tedious during the second viewing.

Currently watching season seven of Supernatural. When I watched the first five seasons, it was usually at least somewhat entertaining. Supernatural often offered bold ideas that were dumbed down for the masses with thorough exposition. The library didn't have season six on hand, so I just plunged into season seven, figuring the that the recaps would cover anything crucial. Aside from the exciting opening episode, season seven has made me sleepy. Maybe the show is no better or worse than before, but after a showdown between Lucifer and Michael in season five, everything since has been anti-climactic. I will keep watching season seven anyway, because the occasional funny episodes are pretty good.

More
24 Nov 2014 15:23 #191354 by Msample
If you gave up on HOMELAND after last season, this season has come back pretty strong, the last two episodes in particular. Only 3 episodes left this season, and the clifhanger last night.....WOW.

Gonna be a long two weeks til the next one.

More
24 Nov 2014 16:15 #191364 by wice

Shellhead wrote: Currently watching season seven of Supernatural. When I watched the first five seasons, it was usually at least somewhat entertaining. Supernatural often offered bold ideas that were dumbed down for the masses with thorough exposition. The library didn't have season six on hand, so I just plunged into season seven, figuring the that the recaps would cover anything crucial. Aside from the exciting opening episode, season seven has made me sleepy. Maybe the show is no better or worse than before, but after a showdown between Lucifer and Michael in season five, everything since has been anti-climactic. I will keep watching season seven anyway, because the occasional funny episodes are pretty good.

From Wikipedia: "Creator Eric Kripke originally planned for the show to last only five seasons, but after increased ratings from the fourth and fifth seasons, The CW Television Network renewed the series for a sixth season. Kripke did not return as showrunner, but still remained as a hands-on executive producer, leaving executive producer Sera Gamble to take over the reins."

I think it explains a lot. I'm still watching it, but (with the exception of maybe a dozen episodes) it's been more-or-less mediocre since then. They have recycled the very same ideas a million times: one of the main characters becomes evil (or something like that) for a season, one of the brothers dies, then returns from hell or purgatory the next season (it happened so many times that it became a running joke), the brothers absolutely must hate each other for whatever reason (I know they do it for the additional drama, but it just poisons the mood), and so on and so forth. You really don't miss too much if you just stop after season 5.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
26 Nov 2014 21:20 #191512 by scrumpyjack
We just finished True Detective. Hell of a show. Get it in high-quality if you can, it's beautifully shot. Both McConaughey and Harrelson are stellar, although I wish McConaughey didn't mumble so much. I had to look up what his final line was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 Dec 2014 23:42 #191875 by Eleanor_Root
Breaking Bad. For those of you not in the know (though I very seriously doubt it), it's the story of mild-mannered high school chemistry teacher Walter White who thinks his life can't get much worse - his salary barely makes ends meet, a situation not likely to improve once his pregnant wife gives birth, and to top it all, their teenage son is battling cerebral palsy. All hell breaks loose when Walter himself learns he has terminal cancer. Realizing that his illness probably will ruin his family financially, Walter makes a desperate bid to earn as much money as he can in the time he has left by turning an old RV into a meth lab on wheels. And the story goes on.

And of course there is House of Cards. All about politics.

More
03 Dec 2014 23:45 #191876 by hotseatgames
Finished the second season of Peaky Blinders. That turned into a very engaging show. I want more!

More
04 Dec 2014 09:14 #191887 by Legomancer
Everything I said about Sleepy Hollow has been ruined. I've never seen a show fall and crash so quickly. This season started out strong in the first two episodes and since then has just been terrible. What's worse, an interview (major spoilers there) with the executive producer gives no indication that he thinks anything is wrong. The entire interview is basically:

Q: Everyone hates X, Y, and Z.

A: I love X and Y, and we have a lot more of Z planned!

It's not quite as bad as Doctor Who, because even as I found seasons 6 and 7 to just get worse and worse (and again, the producer thinking he was creating an exquisite narrative), some element of fandom was enjoying it. In this case nearly all the fans I've seen just hate how this season has gone.

Such a waste.

More
04 Dec 2014 11:34 #191911 by Gregarius
I'm still enjoying both The Flash and Arrow. The last two night's "crossover" event was fun. The show runners have a good knack for providing bits of fan service without derailing the show (like the boxing glove arrow from a few weeks ago). And The Flash's light-heartedness is a good compliment to the Arrow's broodiness.

More
07 Dec 2014 15:12 - 07 Dec 2014 15:13 #192080 by bomber
I thought about doing a kickstarter, it would go like this

you round up about 20 complete and utter fucknuts, I mean, the biggest turds you can imagine from all the fucking wank arse reality TV shows that seem to make up 75% of the rancid schedule. I mean, especially these dating ones, big brothery ones, and competitive ones, real wastes of fucking oxygen

Tell them they get voted out not regularly or on a weekly basis but only when ratings drop down. Then put them all in some fucking shite house somewhere, who gives a fuck where. Employ a guy to watch the CCTV to make sure no one dies (just for legal cover), but he just makes shit up for his own amusement to make them do stuff pretending its "challenge" for the ratings. Make them look after themselves.
Do this for MONTHS but heres the brilliant catch. DO NOT SHOW A SINGLE FUCKING SECOND OF THIS SHIT ON TV. Depending on kickstarter success, if you have enough to actually book the TV time, advertise the fuck out of what you are doing (I am convinced that even though 90% of people are fucking dumbasses and hence watch reality TV, there simply MUST be enough reasonably intelligent (IQ in double figures) people that would relish the irony of this, and enjoy what I'd actually broadcast which would be something of use to society as a whole. Its such a fucking low bar that anything would do, from fastening shoelaces and basic domestic household chores all the way up to buddhist meditation and the philosophy of Kierkegarde.

Right, and heres the fucking mint ending.

As you start to "evict" these cunts, hopefully at the point where they are picking weevils out of their own shit to put on their biscuits and drooling mad, you get them to exit the "celebrity house" down some stairs, but wait a minute NO ONE IS THERE YOU CUNTS, no cheering or crowds, just a guy who's like oh hello, there'll be a bus along here at half past three (let them out at say, quarter to eleven).

The end

I fucking win the TV wars. Sell adverts worth billions since it will be the best TV show ever made. I'll call it "fucking useless cunts you won't have to endure infecting your retina with any photons reflected from the TV screens you unfortunately had to walk past while it was on".

Might need to work on a catchier name

waddy'all think?
Last edit: 07 Dec 2014 15:13 by bomber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
08 Dec 2014 08:02 #192108 by JEM
It's a fantastic plan up to the point when you realize you could make out like a bandit if you actually did show it. That would be a moral dilemma for you.

I thought the last season of Dr Who was the best in years. Maybe it's because I connect more with Capaldi's doctor, being a Tom Baker viewer as a young'un. Maybe it's because there was a bit less "spout exposition while running down a corridor."

More
08 Dec 2014 11:33 #192122 by Shellhead
My recent viewing of season 3 of Veronica Mars reminded me of the existence of Richard Grieco, who made a few guest appearances playing a sleazy drug addict. Long ago, I thought that he played a really cool character on a couple of seasons of 21 Jump Street, so now I am halfway watching season 3. Aside from all the mullets and damaged hair, I am finding the show moderately enjoyable.

Not as good as I remembered, but not as bad as I feared. 21 Jump Street tries to make every episode deal with a timely issue of the day, so it functions a bit like a time capsule now. Hot button issues so far have included abortion, racism, a labor strike, Guardian Angels, fraternity hazing, and stalking. Sometimes there are some good insights about the topic, and other times the story feels heavy-handed.

While I expected that Johnny Depp would stand out as the best actor, there were often strong performances by Peter DeLuise and Richard Grieco. Funny how only Depp went on to have a big career. Depp really does have an unusual ability to disappear into each role, especially compared to so many other big Hollywood actors who seem to just play minor variations of themselves.

More
08 Dec 2014 12:38 #192125 by Legomancer
Finished up Twin Peaks (not the movie yet). Man, what a fun time, even as it peters out. Dale and Audrey 4-Ever.

Part of what kills it, though, is that S2 is 22 episodes. That is crazy. That is too many episodes for ANYTHING.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.332 seconds