October 09, 2023
2685 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2853 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
22 Mar 2013 19:43 - 22 Mar 2013 19:45 #148387 by Sagrilarus
The starter kit (Sails of Glory this is) is four painted ships and all the rules widgets for $80. That's about par for the course these days. I'm not eager to pay it either, but I'm not a guy to buy things sight unseen. I'd like it to get kicked around a little and find out what people think.

I'm not exactly the guy that Kickstarter expects to attract.

That said, I'm hanging on Lincoln's War because I suspect that getting to put a face on a card is going to be one of the stretch goals. If that comes in at a reasonable price I'll have Union General William Baker Curtis (a relative from WV) in the game box. If the price is very reasonable I might go after two cards, putting Col George Washington Curtis on the second one, William's brother who served under Stonewall Jackson for the Confederacy.

Lincoln's War has been submitted to Kickstarter for formal review but hasn't gone up yet.

S.

Oh by the way, once Sails of Glory is out I'll play it under the bowsprit of the U.S.S. Constellation in downtown Baltimore and take plenty of photos.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2013 19:45 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2013 00:58 #148408 by Dogmatix

SuperflyTNT wrote: Dogmatix: That was kind of a shitty thing to say. He's not dumb, not by any standard. He's just hopelessly addicted. ;) Plus, I hired him and he was here primarily for training....ut oh

(And, of course, you could have just said you already had your hands on a review copy and that you were showing it to him *right at that moment.*) ;)

UGH! What a missed opportunity. That would've been friggin hilarious!

Well, I'm actually kind of a prick all in all. But, sorry if that came across as a bit over the top. The bit in parenthesis was the actual point of the post; kicking you in the nuts along the way was just a passing fancy ;)

As for KS I'm backing, I'm in on the Small World reboot. I'd like all the updated crap for the iPad version.

In addition, I'll be getting my wife--aka "Little Miss How Can You Be Comfortable, It's Freezing in Here!"--one of the hoodies to which Jeb alerted us.

Lastly, I'm in for Sails of Glory as I like WS&IM, but I have no willing opponents around here (which is why I merely stare longingly at CoA's Close Action box on the store shelves instead of buying a copy). I suspect pushing models around will get some folks interested in playing....

More
23 Mar 2013 01:13 #148413 by Sagrilarus
I'm adding "between me and Dogmatix" to my list of reasons to hate D.C.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dogmatix

More
23 Mar 2013 03:26 #148422 by Dogmatix
@Sag: Don't you have family in eastern Loudoun? Once it lands, I could be convinced to drop my set off with one of them for you to borrow for a while. I've got lots of games and am a bit of a shut-in these days thanks to having a toddler. Just don't hang onto it for more than 6 months and it's all good. :)

More
23 Mar 2013 12:46 - 23 Mar 2013 12:49 #148427 by Sagrilarus
Last edit: 23 Mar 2013 12:49 by Sagrilarus.

More
23 Mar 2013 12:47 - 23 Mar 2013 14:02 #148428 by Sagrilarus
I have WS&IM, I need someone to shoot at. My boys aren't quite old enough for that one yet. I have plans to play it at our local con 3rd Age -- I'll score you an invitation.

They'd likely be more interested in Sails of Glory, but I'd like someone that won't lecture me on drinking whiskey while playing. So I may just need to find an excuse to head out your way, foist my kids off on one of my sisters (maybe drop them in front and then floor it) and cruise on over your way to sit down for a couple of hours.

S.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2013 14:02 by Sagrilarus.

More
29 Mar 2013 20:51 #149076 by Sagrilarus
Lincoln's War is coming up on $15k after less than two days, which isn't too shabby. The first day put it at $10k and I wondered if it was going to stay there. But $5k today isn't half bad. I've moved its status to "cautiously optimistic."

LW designer John Poniske put out an appeal on one of the BGG threads for Lincoln's War about his other game on Kickstarter -- a reprint of Hearts and Minds that he indicated he was unaware was going to happen until it appeared. It's a few days shy of deadline and about $1500 short so it's going to be close. Apparently a very well received game, I'm not terribly interested in the genre or its card-deck nature. Since making his appeal it's picked up about $500 so it may just make it after all.

S.

More
30 Mar 2013 04:33 #149099 by Dogmatix

Sagrilarus wrote: Lincoln's War is coming up on $15k after less than two days, which isn't too shabby. The first day put it at $10k and I wondered if it was going to stay there. But $5k today isn't half bad. I've moved its status to "cautiously optimistic."

LW designer John Poniske put out an appeal on one of the BGG threads for Lincoln's War about his other game on Kickstarter -- a reprint of Hearts and Minds that he indicated he was unaware was going to happen until it appeared. It's a few days shy of deadline and about $1500 short so it's going to be close. Apparently a very well received game, I'm not terribly interested in the genre or its card-deck nature. Since making his appeal it's picked up about $500 so it may just make it after all.
S.

As far as CDWGs go, H&M is an odd duck. Yes, it still limits your moves in some fashion, but it's kind of different. I give Poniske big points for trying to game the ungameable with that one. Managed to develop a playable soup-to-nuts look at the mess in Indochina that integrates the geopolitical mess into gameplay. It's a very good game, though probably not a great one because there too many things you have to compromise on to make the game worth playing at all. But it's definitely a very interesting game.

More
10 Apr 2013 03:01 #150040 by ubarose
I'm not a war gamer, but I have been asked by someone too shy to post for themselves, that Columbia Games Kickstarter for Napoléon ends Sunday.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/columbiagames/napoleon-0?ref=live

More
10 Apr 2013 03:38 #150043 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Currently on the fence for MYTH. I wish there was a compelling reason either way to go for it.

More
18 Apr 2013 00:28 - 18 Apr 2013 00:28 #150513 by Bull Nakano
A US release of the game Coup just went up on KS, for $15 and the possibility of being expanded to a 7/8 player game as a stretch goal. There's also some Resistance promos included, all for $15, I'm in. This is a cool game.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012515236/...e-world-of-the-resis
Last edit: 18 Apr 2013 00:28 by Bull Nakano.

More
18 Apr 2013 00:32 #150515 by wadenels

Bull Nakano wrote: A US release of the game Coup just went up on KS, for $15 and the possibility of being expanded to a 7/8 player game as a stretch goal. There's also some Resistance promos included, all for $15, I'm in. This is a cool game.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012515236/...e-world-of-the-resis

Yeah, I broke my no more Kickstarters rule for this one because:
- I already have the 1st printing and really like it.
- I want the Resistance promos
- I want the 7/8 player option, though I question how well it works with that many people.

For $15? Yeah, I'm in. Especially because my 1st print is already showing some wear and I want those Resistance Promos. We have the first small-box version of The Resistance, which is more portable than Avalon, so I want those roles!

More
18 Apr 2013 02:03 #150522 by iguanaDitty
Just backed Coup also.

More
18 Apr 2013 04:12 #150524 by ioticus
I'm backing Worlds of Magic, which is supposed to be a "spiritual successor" to the PC classic Master of Magic. One of the artists who did the original character art recently joined the team. I hope this is the game that finally gets it right, since all other attempts have failed, IMHO.

More
18 Apr 2013 22:04 #150615 by the_jake_1973
I am sorely tempted to back the Supremacy reboot

Supremacy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.392 seconds