October 09, 2023
2796 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2937 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Southernman Where art Thou?

More
10 Feb 2012 19:33 #115945 by zaltan
Who's this Loter cocksucker everyone's talking about?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2012 21:36 #115995 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Southernman Where art Thou?
MAN! Now I remember why I miss Southernman so much. He has that FATtie map in his signature line. I am stealing that.

More
10 Feb 2012 21:45 #115998 by ubarose

jeb wrote: MAN! Now I remember why I miss Southernman so much. He has that FATtie map in his signature line. I am stealing that.

You can also click on PROFILE and then on MEMBER MAP
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
10 Feb 2012 21:55 #116000 by billyz

zaltan wrote: Who's this Loter cocksucker everyone's talking about?

That is the funniest fucking thing I've read all week! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

More
10 Feb 2012 22:03 #116001 by Fallen
Too much PC crap is just that. People can pontificate all they like about what words THEY feel are taboo and which ones are not. Every word and phrase has its origin, and with everything, evolution. Tie a stigma/hyperbole to individual words and we can come up with extremely different meanings.
In context, I submit:
Faggot(s): Originally a term for a bundle of twigs for fuel; in the case of Iron bars to form wrought Iron along with shavings, or leavings of an actual item, bound together. From there it wasn't a stretch to evolve into food, Faggot being a dish in England, which is made of offal, which is the ends of meat, similar to sausage. We also have Bell Ends, which originally referred to a red pepper (again in England) which so happened to look like a (not mine unfortunately) male penis. From there it’s evolution into the world of slang requires little stretch of the imagination.
Not every word or cause needs a champion to defend its honour, besides, where was that fervor when the peppers were being abused? It’s all about context, isn’t linguistics exciting? Next week I present: Retard. I suggest all of you bell ends do your homework. Class dismissed
The following user(s) said Thank You: billyz

More
11 Feb 2012 04:02 #116032 by Ryan B.
Well, count me in the column of feeling good that at least seeing and knowing that Southernman is at least still alive and well.

Although, I must have missed something... last time I had checked, (before I had taken my own break to move out here to Seattle), I thought Southernman and Loter were getting on famously. So something obviously happened that changed all of that.

But now the more important question-- where is Pat II?

More
11 Feb 2012 04:07 #116033 by Dr. Mabuse

Chapel wrote:

MattLoter wrote: I play with a lot of people who don't ever look at BGG, most of them know it sort of exists but they never check it out and some of them have no idea about it at all. It's amazing how easy it is to fall into the echo chamber of thinking the whole hobby gives a shit about most of what's on the internet, cause they really don't.

So how did you find your group? From your local store? Facebook? Just got some friends together? Are you considered the go to person to get the games, explain the rules, introduce new stuff?

My regular game group consists of 6 and only 1 was made through BGG the others were at a local game store.

Only 3 of us follow the hobby online, in various degrees.

More
11 Feb 2012 04:40 #116036 by MattFantastic
I guess they really don't have anti-gay hate crimes or legislation or bullying in Canada cause it seems all you Canadians are on the same team about saying whatever the fuck you want when it comes to derogatory slurs and it not having any power. So for those of you outside the US, a quick heads up on the current state of affairs here: the dude who just won a bunch of state's primaries, and while unlikely, is making a decent showing at becoming the next president is hugely anti-gay. Like "let's stone them to death if they can't be cured of it" level. There have also been a rash of teen suicides as a direct result of anti-gay bullying, you know, like dudes calling some kid a faggot everyday until he kills himself. So forgive me for being a little touchy about homophobia. I hope one day we can be as progressive a society as Canada where there are never any hate crimes or discrimination and no one is made to feel like their identity is an insult so that sort of thinking about language is reasonable in the context of reality.

Honest question: Do you dudes think it's cool to call people niggers and kikes? Or is it only certian oppressed minorities that you are cool with using derogatory slurs for/about?

• Steve Weeks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Feb 2012 04:56 #116037 by Steve Weeks
Replied by Steve Weeks on topic Re: Southernman Where art Thou?
Shut Up Loter this is a boardgame site, not an activism site. Take your march elsewhere

More
11 Feb 2012 05:01 #116038 by MattFantastic

Steve Weeks wrote: Shut Up Loter this is a boardgame site, not an activism site. Take your march elsewhere

I thought it was a creepy LARP fanfic site? My bad.

More
11 Feb 2012 05:43 #116039 by SaMoKo
So if a gay guy is offended about the casual use of faggot and calls it out, it's activism now? Seems like a normal response to me.

Except people with avatars of furries or creepy children's cartoons. Those fuckers have no rights.

More
11 Feb 2012 05:47 #116040 by Black Barney
no LOTR I don't think it's cool to drop the n-bomb or use anti-semetic remarks. Nor would I ever call a faggot a faggot (lol, I'm just bugging you there). I don't call gays faggots but I use that word pretty often. I dunno, it's funny. It just doesn't seem like a loaded word like the other ones you mentionned which make me super uncomfortable just hearing them. I drop the faggot word like non stop when playing Call of Duty, I don't know why, it just fits. When I say it, I'm not saying it in the sense, "damn you for killing me, you must be homosexual" or anything. It doesn't even mean that, it's just a word that infuriates the opponent for some reason and puts them on life-tilt.

But yeah, in Canada, it's nice up here. Lots of gays in Montreal and a few at my work. Everyone gets along just fine.

I don't think Romney will win so don't worry. You're a nation of haters and enemies tho so even if he doesn't win, things are still going to be ugly for a while down there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, Fallen

More
11 Feb 2012 06:32 #116044 by MattFantastic
Thanks for the honest response. I can't really comprehend it though. What is it about certian words and not others? I get if someone is like 100% I'll say whatever the fuck I want all the time cause it's only words, but when someone clearly has a line of not wanting to use some words but others of the same sort are OK, it really confuses me.

I mean why do you think presumably straight young dudes get so worked up at being called faggots in CoD? They don't want to be thought of as gay cause gay is a bad thing. It just perpetuates the idea of homosexuality as a negative thing which has a huge amount of powerful real world consequences. Words mean a lot more than just what you personally take them to mean.

PS: It's Rick Santorum that's the real hardcore homophobe that just won three states on Tuesday, Romney just does it enough to be acceptable as a Republican but you can tell his black heart doesn't really burn with the fies of Sodom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

More
11 Feb 2012 11:35 - 11 Feb 2012 11:44 #116055 by repoman
Post has been redacted.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2012 11:44 by repoman. Reason: put away my angry fingers after rereading Week's post

More
11 Feb 2012 11:51 - 11 Feb 2012 11:53 #116057 by Schweig!
wrong thread
Last edit: 11 Feb 2012 11:53 by Schweig!.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds