October 09, 2023
2553 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
27 Oct 2017 20:20 #256475 by Sagrilarus

Gregarius wrote: I know Stargate (sequel to Defender) let you enter really long names, but I can’t remember if the original did as well.

It did not. Stargate only allowed you to put a long name if you were the #1 score, everyone else got three letters. It defaulted to Phred Williams with a pretty lofty score. I played well, but my buddy Andy Henry was able to take the #1 spot. One hell of a player.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2017 23:10 #256478 by Cranberries

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

Not Sure wrote:

iguanaDitty wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is a really cool BBC show about two magic users in the 1800's. I've never seen a more gorgeous show with the exception of Downton Abbey, and this show is more engaging than that one.

Ooh I've been looking forward to this one. Tried to read the book ages ago and kinda bogged down in the unrelenting period drama-ness of it, which I find slightly more palatable in video form.

Total opposite for me on the book, I really enjoyed it. The unrelenting footnotes were a feature for me, not a distraction.

I'll definitely have to check this out, I had no idea it existed until this thread.

(but I think your experience with the book is more typical. Most of my friends abandoned it quite quickly.)

It is one of my favourite books but I understand that a lot of people just don't get it. I didn't know about the series either so it will be watched very soon.

After three attempts to get through the book I finally started listening to to he audio book while bicycling to work. It's so good. It's a pity that Susanna Clarke is done writing.

More
28 Oct 2017 00:05 #256481 by ChristopherMD

cranberries wrote: It's a pity that Susanna Clarke is done writing.

That's too bad if true. I've read Jonathan Strange twice already and will certainly read it again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
28 Oct 2017 00:35 #256482 by Not Sure
I finally got around to watching this a few months ago, and enjoyed the BBC version a lot. Made want to re-read it, but they did a great job of condensing.

How the hell do they handle all the footnotes in the audio version? Or do they just ignore them?

More
28 Oct 2017 02:14 - 28 Oct 2017 05:55 #256485 by __
Replied by __ on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

Gary Sax wrote: I think the above re: Rick is exactly why it's so funny so many internet folks think they're all Rick. It's such a terrible, grim thing to say about yourself.

I find all this internet virtue signalling horrible. It took a while to get into the show but eventually I loved it. Sure, Rick is an asshole. But come on, he opens gates into other dimensions, its not a reality show, these arent real people. YOu can enjoy it for what it is without having to feel dirty because of no Rick is an asshole. I also like Morty, and Beth, and Summer, all of them different characters with different flaws and virtues. Its actually getting ridiculous now that you can't even just enjoy a fantasy sci fi show for what it is without having to be morally accountable for "supporting" the right character or not (I know you specifically just meant people who think they *are* Rick but come on, anyone who thinks they *are* any TV character are probably not worth worrying about

(people who think they "are" Rick are either joking, or not worth your time, why are people sweating on it so much, the amount of internet discussion about it is crazy to me)

edit: I know you are not saying any of that Gary so this is not aimed at you, just the various internet "arguments" that seem obsessed with this issue because a bunch of nerds are on the internet saying they think they are a cartoon scientist with omniscient powers. Not really worth devoting the time to rant about IMO
Last edit: 28 Oct 2017 05:55 by __.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
29 Oct 2017 02:45 #256531 by Space Ghost

Michael Barnes wrote:
Biggest mystery so far- why is one episode titled THE MIND FLAYER?

Just made it through the 2nd episode tonight.

I'm assuming it is just more to do with all the psionics going on....maybe some new enemy from the upside down? Just like the used D&D to refer to the first season monster as a demigorgon. Who knows, I'm usually never right about this kind of conjecture

More
29 Oct 2017 09:28 #256541 by Black Barney
That David S Pumpkins cartoon last night was pretty fun. They translated his awkwardness well to animation. I’m sad they only danced once. Also I don’t think Peter Dinklage has comic timing

More
30 Oct 2017 03:40 - 30 Oct 2017 07:07 #256566 by Michael Barnes
Just cleared ST2 episode 6, "The Spy". It's kind of a spoiler but..........

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 30 Oct 2017 07:07 by Michael Barnes.

More
30 Oct 2017 06:18 #256567 by Cranberries
IF only this site had spoiler tags.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 Oct 2017 10:49 #256582 by Michael Barnes
I thought I tagged it, sorry if I ruined anyone's life.

Barney, you should read the spoiler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 Oct 2017 17:21 - 30 Oct 2017 17:22 #256630 by ChristopherMD
I finished Stranger Things 2 already. I didn't think it was as good as the 1st season but it was still good. Lots of people hating on Episode 7 though. My personal take was that
I liked the new characters and that the focus was on Will this time instead of Mike. I suspect next season will focus on Dustin or Lucas more.

Also, I would totally be Winston. "If there's a steady paycheck involved, I'll believe anything you say."
Last edit: 30 Oct 2017 17:22 by ChristopherMD.

More
30 Oct 2017 18:55 #256638 by Vlad
I'm almost finished with episode 3. It is so slow and unfocused compared to season 1, and basically nothing is happening.

By the way, best show this year has to be American Vandal.

More
30 Oct 2017 19:04 - 30 Oct 2017 19:04 #256639 by Michael Barnes
People hating on episode 7 are dumb.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2017 19:04 by Michael Barnes.

More
30 Oct 2017 20:05 #256643 by Black Barney

Michael Barnes wrote: I thought I tagged it, sorry if I ruined anyone's life.

Barney, you should read the spoiler.

Omg, are you kidding?! I really need to watch this show. Is it a Netflix thing?

How did you know I hadn’t read the spoiler btw? Cuz you know I’d react to it? You know me so well, baby.

I just watched the original IT last night btw, I know that has nothing to do with anything but I thought people used to say Pennywise didn’t talk. He talked plenty in that. Does he not talk in the book?

More
30 Oct 2017 21:21 - 31 Oct 2017 00:55 #256644 by Frohike
I'm not hating on episode 7 too terribly, but it does feel like the weakest one so far.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 00:55 by Frohike.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.588 seconds