October 09, 2023
2426 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2633 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
02 Nov 2017 13:39 #256870 by the_jake_1973
Two episodes from the finale, AHS: Cult, finally delivered a decent episode. Too little, too late for me to recommend the season, but at least there is a bit of payoff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2017 15:01 #256872 by Jackwraith
Started watching Mindhunter last night. We found it pretty engrossing. I liked a lot of the dialogue and, of course, the first two episodes are directed by David Fincher, which will always be a draw for me. I think the comparison of Ford's relative ignorance about topics once considered sexual deviancy that were (and are) then largely acceptable in the 70s with the sexual proclivities of the serial killers he encounters was a little too on the nose, but I get what they're aiming for. Also, the profiling unit ending up in the FBI's basement was quite funny, although it reminded me a bit too much of The Wire. Looking forward to seeing more.

More
02 Nov 2017 17:26 #256879 by Grudunza

Jackwraith wrote: Started watching Mindhunter last night. We found it pretty engrossing. I liked a lot of the dialogue and, of course, the first two episodes are directed by David Fincher, which will always be a draw for me. I think the comparison of Ford's relative ignorance about topics once considered sexual deviancy that were (and are) then largely acceptable in the 70s with the sexual proclivities of the serial killers he encounters was a little too on the nose, but I get what they're aiming for. Also, the profiling unit ending up in the FBI's basement was quite funny, although it reminded me a bit too much of The Wire. Looking forward to seeing more.

Yeah, I liked this show, too. I like that they showed some wrong turns... every case didn't wrap up in a neat package. It never felt "procedural." I'm curious to see how far they go with the BTK thing. Presumably not to its conclusion, unless they jump way ahead.

More
02 Nov 2017 19:15 #256884 by SebastianBludd
I might have to check out Mindhunters. I've read a lot of books about serial killers, including Robert Ressler's Whoever Fights Monsters, and most serial killer movies/tv are exploitive nonsense. The fact that it doesn't feel like a run-of-the-mill procedural a la CSI is also a point in its favor.

More
02 Nov 2017 22:41 #256890 by Jackwraith
We've watched the first 5 and it's definitely not routine. I think they've built an interesting dynamic between the two agents, as one is the older, more experienced guys who tends to look at suspects as perps, while the other is looking at them as psych case studies. It leads them into the good cop/bad cop dynamic when they're trying to figure a case (and sometimes in the interviews) but they often switch roles in the process, as one starts following one path of possibility and the other one takes a different one. It's really solid. I'm really enjoying it.

More
03 Nov 2017 09:06 #256905 by Cranberries
Agent Ressler spoke at PSU years ago. I actually left, it was so dark and horrifying.

More
03 Nov 2017 09:18 - 03 Nov 2017 09:19 #256911 by GorillaGrody

SebastianBludd wrote: I might have to check out Mindhunters. I've read a lot of books about serial killers, including Robert Ressler's Whoever Fights Monsters, and most serial killer movies/tv are exploitive nonsense. The fact that it doesn't feel like a run-of-the-mill procedural a la CSI is also a point in its favor.

This is the reason I thought I would hate Mindhunters, but so far I really like it. I think a lot of it comes down to the strength of the acting, and the fact that it's not so much a procedural as an origin-of-standards story.

I feel the same way about The Deuce, which I thought would be typical HBO t-and-a exploitation, but has turned out to be about as engrossing and all-encompassing as the Wire (which makes sense, since it shares much of the same creative team). All, that is, except the James Franco character(s), who seems to exist as an untroubling audience surrogate, someone who's more or less uncompromised in an arena where everyone and everything else HAS to compromise. That said, it's a pretty great show I recommend.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2017 09:19 by GorillaGrody.

More
04 Nov 2017 00:30 #257001 by Scott_F
Some amazing shows out there.

The Deuce was awesome. Definitely a slow start, but Maggie G. kills it. Highly recommend. Not a T&A show either despite the topic and running on HBO.

Transparent on Amazon continues to be the best drama out there. Great acting, tough storylines. The characters are often hard to sympathize with and are dealing with rich people problems often, but that doesn't mean the issues raised on identity aren't still relevant.

Really enjoying season 2 of Stranger Things too. Need more good scifi out there. I was never a fan of The Expanse either.

Getting through The Night Of on HBO has been difficult. Two episodes left and we haven't watched it in at least a month. Initially I thought it was pretty good, but some things are bothering me with the pacing of the show and the amount of time they spend on the defense attorney's skin condition. I don't give a shit if its some kind of symbolism anymore.

Recently started back up with The Americans thanks to Amazon too. Always liked this show.

I tried Wentworth, the British show and serious version of Orange is the new Black. Wow, and I thought I enjoyed dark shows. Couldn't handle that one by something like episode 4 or 5.

Curb Your Enthusiasm this year is kinda disappointing but it is still great to have Larry back. Some duds and clear ripoffs of Seinfeld storylines. Some really good episodes though, Richard Lewis is always good to see.

At some point I need to do a free subscription to CBS and watch Star Trek and Hulu to watch Handmaid's Tale. Margaret Atwood has always been a favorite of mine and I'll be checking out Alias Grace too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
04 Nov 2017 15:15 #257012 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Scott_F wrote: I tried Wentworth, the British show and serious version of Orange is the new Black. Wow, and I thought I enjoyed dark shows. Couldn't handle that one by something like episode 4 or 5.

Wentworth is Australian (it is on cable here so I haven't seen it). My second cousin is a moderately famous Australian actress and is an inmate in season 3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Scott_F

More
04 Nov 2017 22:46 #257027 by the_jake_1973
Wife and I have been watching Strange Things. Not only did they get the three letter high score initials wrong, but the amount of time it would take on Dig Dug to get 750K would surpass the time Max spent at the arcade in on sitting. I'm basing that on the amount of time her brother lets her stay there.

Also, Mrs. Butterworth containers were glass back then. The waffle scene clearly had a squeeze bottle the little sister was using.

I did laugh when Hopper got the slime on him from the tree and they worked in Venkman's library slime scene.

More
05 Nov 2017 01:26 #257033 by Disgustipater
Watching Stranger Things 2. I thought the first season was fine, but didn't leave me any interest in season 2. Then my wife started watching it, and I got sucked in. I like it better than the first season, probably because it doesn't focus on Eleven. I've found her scenes to be the least compelling. I like all the "greater threat" stuff. Just finished episode 7 and I am glad that episode is over and we can go back to the other stuff, even if it does involve Eleven.

More
05 Nov 2017 09:16 #257045 by repoman
Watched the first two episodes of Anne With an E which is a new version of Anne of Green Gables streaming on Netflix.

Anne of Green Gables is often said to be the Little House on the Prairie of Canada. Which is apt.

Anne with an E is simple good family entertainment. Beautifully shot with some top rate acting not the least from the girl playing Anne, Amybeth McNulty. If you are tired of death, darkness, murder, and monsters you may find this enjoyable. It's good to feel a bit uplifted after watching a show once in a while.

Attachments:

More
05 Nov 2017 10:58 - 05 Nov 2017 11:00 #257063 by Gary Sax
My wife thought it was amazing (she's a big fan of the young adult material). The thing she likes it about vs. any other treatment is that Anne is a much more consistent character. She makes a lot more sense in this one, she's not just this inexplicable manic pixie dreamgirl in child form.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2017 11:00 by Gary Sax.

More
05 Nov 2017 13:28 #257079 by Black Barney
Anyone catch SNL with Larry David and Miley Cyrus? It’s like they were intentionally pushing the PC barrier as much as possible, like one of those roasts almost. Larry David joking about how to pick up women in a concentration camp and stuff. I dunno, it was pretty awful and more importantly, not funny. Why they put Miley in sketches I don’t know

There was one sketch that was good where they were pitching Public Service Announcements to sensitize people to being more aware of Political correctness but would end each one with a brutal tag line like “Treat each other with respect, don’t be a retard”. That was ok

More
06 Nov 2017 08:52 - 06 Nov 2017 11:05 #257101 by Shellhead
I consciously decided to get away from the violent or scary fare that I have been consuming lately, and checked out Keen Eddie from the library. It's cop/fish-out-of-water story played for light laughs, and starring Mark Valley as a New York City cop working for Scotland Yard in London. Daniel Ash did the theme song, and his music or music like it crops up at times in every episode, with great energy. Sound effects and occasional camera effects are deployed to try to punch up the humor in various scenes, much like in the Allie McBeel sitcom of the '90s. Valley play Eddie as a friendly and positive fellow, but his facial expressions sometimes reveal greater depths to his character. The supporting cast is quirky, and Colin Salmon and Sienna Miller threaten to steal many scenes. Overall, Keen Eddie is light and amusing, but not laugh out loud funny.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2017 11:05 by Shellhead.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.711 seconds