October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
12 Dec 2016 19:57 - 12 Dec 2016 20:06 #240408 by SecretSantana
Ho Ho HO.
Last edit: 12 Dec 2016 20:06 by SecretSantana.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2016 08:04 #240422 by Mr. White

wadenels wrote: New Citadels has been out for a few days but I'm still waiting for it to pop up on Amazon for Prime shipping.

New and reworked characters -- 27 total -- with reworked special Districts and recommended configurations in the rulebook. The new artwork is good; I like the darker artwork of the original but some of the artwork in the original wasn't really consistent so I neither love nor hate the change. The new edition also has more combos and ways to build Districts while only requiring seven (instead of eight) to win. I still really enjoy Citadels and a slightly faster-playing edition should be an improvement so I'm on board.

I had no idea there was a new Citadels in the works. Love that game. I'm not sure what needs to be changed though...

More
13 Dec 2016 18:06 #240482 by wadenels

Mr. White wrote:

wadenels wrote: New Citadels has been out for a few days but I'm still waiting for it to pop up on Amazon for Prime shipping.

New and reworked characters -- 27 total -- with reworked special Districts and recommended configurations in the rulebook. The new artwork is good; I like the darker artwork of the original but some of the artwork in the original wasn't really consistent so I neither love nor hate the change. The new edition also has more combos and ways to build Districts while only requiring seven (instead of eight) to win. I still really enjoy Citadels and a slightly faster-playing edition should be an improvement so I'm on board.

I had no idea there was a new Citadels in the works. Love that game. I'm not sure what needs to be changed though...

Brun Faidutti talks about some of the changes on his blog (english at the bottom)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
13 Dec 2016 21:44 #240490 by Gary Sax
My copy of Comancheria just showed up. It looks great, similar to Navajo wars in that it's brutally procedural. I'm excited, though, my mind is kind of too melted to play something like it but hopefully this Christmas period...

More
14 Dec 2016 09:10 #240525 by Shellhead
I was recently gloating in this thread about winning an eBay auction for Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower for $5.00 plus shipping. Now I'm a bit worried, because the seller has refunded me $4.00 with the explanation, "shipping no box savings." Does this mean that he didn't ship it in a shipping box? Or that he is selling me the game without the game box? Either way, there is nothing I can do for now, except wait for it to arrive next week.

More
14 Dec 2016 09:12 - 14 Dec 2016 09:14 #240526 by Mr. White
You are likely not getting the Silver Tower box.

Some sellers that are piecemealing out these GW games are doing it sans box to save on shipping due to the box size. The contents themselves can be packed into a smaller box to ship.

Was there a picture of the box in the listing? I'm guessing no.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2016 09:14 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Dec 2016 12:58 #240575 by Shellhead

Mr. White wrote: You are likely not getting the Silver Tower box.

Some sellers that are piecemealing out these GW games are doing it sans box to save on shipping due to the box size. The contents themselves can be packed into a smaller box to ship.

Was there a picture of the box in the listing? I'm guessing no.

There was a picture of the box in the listing, so that is probably why the seller proactively gave me a partial refund. It's impossible for me to complain about getting Silver Tower without the miniatures or box for $1.00 plus shipping. And I certainly don't need the full box when I won't be storing miniatures in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Dec 2016 11:02 #240664 by Columbob
The seller probably made a mint selling the minis piecemeal and just wanted to get rid of the game bits. Plus they must have been aware that shipping from Hawaii would be a déterrent to a higher price.

We played twice more on Tuesday, still really fun. I like how things look easy, but as soon as you're wounded the difficulty can spike spectacularly. Now that we're all at 2 skills each (one even had 3 in the previous mission), searching for loot or resting will be a definite luxury we won't be able to afford too often.

More
15 Dec 2016 15:00 #240685 by jpat
This one perhaps became more about the hunt than about the quarry exactly, but after I developed a mild interest in Scythe and finding it available at a game store in a large Midwestern city I was visiting anyway, I showed up the day after they FB'd about having it to find one copy left. I looked at it but was still contemplating, and there wasn't another customer in the store, but I think someone bought it over the phone because it was gone when I went back. Anyway, a smarter or more spiritual person might've taken that as a sign, but it apparently annoyed me enough that I managed to track down a NIS copy of the collector's edition at KS list from a hole-in-the-wall place in my hometown. Lesson: buy local.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SecretSantana

More
15 Dec 2016 15:12 #240687 by Shellhead

jpat wrote: This one perhaps became more about the hunt than about the quarry exactly, but after I developed a mild interest in Scythe and finding it available at a game store in a large Midwestern city I was visiting anyway, I showed up the day after they FB'd about having it to find one copy left. I looked at it but was still contemplating, and there wasn't another customer in the store, but I think someone bought it over the phone because it was gone when I went back. Anyway, a smarter or more spiritual person might've taken that as a sign, but it apparently annoyed me enough that I managed to track down a NIS copy of the collector's edition at KS list from a hole-in-the-wall place in my hometown. Lesson: buy local.

Are you going to buy the expansion that recently came out? Scales the game to include two more players.

More
15 Dec 2016 15:50 #240694 by jpat
I thought I'd give it a try this weekend first and see. I've never played it. This guy had most everything, for whatever reason, but I don't think the expansion. But, yeah, probably, assuming I like it, if for no other reason than purple minis and green Highlanders.

More
15 Dec 2016 16:50 #240701 by OldHippy
I picked up the new TMNT game to play with my kid. I know it's too complex for him but I'm thinking if I run it all he can just move dudes around and chuck some dice and have a blast. I really, really wanted to get the works but it wasn't available in town and was too cost prohibitive to order from out of town. The standard box looks great for us (we're both huge fans of TMNT) and maybe some expansions will be released later with the extra stuff. Especially the endless mouser invasion... that's mostly what I wanted the works for anyway and maybe we can make it at home anyway. I also have Ice Cool under the tree for him, he watched a video with me on line one day and was just begging for it... so I'll get at least two games at Christmas!!

I'm hoping to find a copy of Gorechosen or Lost Patrol under the tree too if Santa/my Wife comes through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

More
15 Dec 2016 17:40 #240707 by Shellhead

JonJacob wrote: I'm hoping to find a copy of Gorechosen or Lost Patrol under the tree too if Santa/my Wife comes through.

Gorechosen should be the official boardgame for celebrating Krampusnacht.

More
15 Dec 2016 19:00 #240716 by wadenels
Ended up picking up new CItadels at FFG store on my way home from work. It looks really good; pictures on the internet really don't do the artwork justice. I like it a lot more in person.

They also had some holiday sale leftovers and I failed to resist the giant Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay box for $40.

More
16 Dec 2016 08:29 #240744 by charlest

JonJacob wrote: I picked up the new TMNT game to play with my kid. I know it's too complex for him but I'm thinking if I run it all he can just move dudes around and chuck some dice and have a blast. I really, really wanted to get the works but it wasn't available in town and was too cost prohibitive to order from out of town. The standard box looks great for us (we're both huge fans of TMNT) and maybe some expansions will be released later with the extra stuff. Especially the endless mouser invasion... that's mostly what I wanted the works for anyway and maybe we can make it at home anyway. I also have Ice Cool under the tree for him, he watched a video with me on line one day and was just begging for it... so I'll get at least two games at Christmas!!

I'm hoping to find a copy of Gorechosen or Lost Patrol under the tree too if Santa/my Wife comes through.

I believe most of it (or at least the important stuff) will be available later. Mousers coming in a separate expansion, Casey/April/Splinter/Rocksteady/Bebop coming in later expansions. I think they will just have different abilities/sculpts. This isn't like the Ghostbusters kickstarter at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.476 seconds