October 09, 2023
2757 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2907 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? ARCHIVE

More
17 Mar 2015 13:17 #199630 by Shellhead
I randomly stumbled across Die Antwoord on YouTube two years ago, with their video for Baby's On Fire. The opening with the family dinner was fun, and then there were a couple of eye-popping vehicular stunts. For a short time, I was obsessed with them and watched everything they did on YouTube, before the revulsion set in. Ninja and Yolandi seem deeply weird and desperate for attention, and I'm not into their music. I'm also not a fan of District 9, so I'm probably going to take a pass on Chappie.
The topic has been locked.
More
17 Mar 2015 15:34 - 17 Mar 2015 15:35 #199635 by daveroswell
I was leaving ConnCon early this year when someone (I call him RainbowHat) put a Pacific Rim dvd into the machine. I did get sucked into the movie, possibly because the God awful dialogue was turned way down, but mostly because of the Kaiju Jaeger fights.

I know Pacific Rim was talked about to death on here, BUT....

yeah, when the movie sucks, it SUCKS. The Charlie Day/scientist/Ron Perlman stuff could be cut way down( or out). But some of the visuals were done very well. The young Japanese girl in the film had perfect expressions during the flashback scene. I would say the Jaeger fights were more enjoyable than in the Transformers.

The Kaiju movement did seem a little off at times, but when the director got it, it was enjoyable to watch.

That being said, I don't need to see the movie again, and I sure as HELL don't need to see a sequel.

Pacific Rim persuaded me to stay, and I got a free copy of Grimoire out of it.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2015 15:35 by daveroswell.
More
18 Mar 2015 09:27 #199674 by Black Barney
Rewatched IN BRUGES for a third time last night. I love that flick, totally hilarious and the chick is sooooo hot.

My two favourite bits:

lol @ "leave it, fatty!"

and of course this makes me laugh so hard, I usually wet myself. For those that haven't seen the flick, Ralph Fiennes plays a total c**t with a terrible temper, super violent too. You can just imagine what happens next, his friend sure knows :)

More
18 Mar 2015 10:12 #199678 by Egg Shen
In Bruges is a really great film. You watch that and you're like damn, Colin Farrell is a great actor....why can't he choose more roles like this?

I watched Edge of Tomorrow a few night ago. Loved it. I'm just going to come out and say that I still adore Tom Cruise. Yeah, he is certifiably batshit insane...but the mother fucker can ACT. I loved how he started off as this douchey, spineless shitbag at the beginning of the film. Then you watch him become this badass solider. He's great at stuff like that. I thought he had great chemistry with Emily Blunt and watching the two of them was really enjoyable. The CG alien enemies were kinda lame, but not enough to detract from the cool premise. Watching the humans attack in those little mech suits was AWESOME. The film just hit all my sweet spots. Good sci fi film. Had some funny parts. Bill Paxton. Emily Blunt being damn sexy. Really great action scenes. Plus it didn't overstay it's welcome. Had this come out in Cruise's prime it would be a legitimate classic. Now it's destined to be more of a hidden gem.
More
18 Mar 2015 10:59 #199682 by Black Barney
yeah, that was my take on Tom Cruise in Edge as well. As much as I want to hate the guy, he really brings these action roles to another level. Like you know how Harrison Ford just completely sucks away from Air Force One? Like painful to watch. Tom Cruise adds so much to these types of roles. I've mentionned it before, but the scene when he wakes up after losing Blunt to the helicopter attempt, that was really something and you can't get Bruce Willis to pull off that kind of moment.

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol was another top-drawer performance for him too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack
More
18 Mar 2015 12:30 #199690 by Gary Sax
Being a solid action movie actor is an under appreciated (critically, not box officewise) skill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney
More
20 Mar 2015 21:18 - 21 Mar 2015 09:34 #199838 by Sagrilarus
Kingsman.

Don't bring the kids.

This movie has some very . . . unique . . . moments. I enjoyed it very much, but there were scenes where I found myself thinking, "that's just wrong, I shouldn't be seeing this."

S.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2015 09:34 by Sagrilarus.
More
20 Mar 2015 23:26 #199839 by Michael Barnes
Tom Cruise is a great actor, it's a shame he's kind of fallen off. He's done some amazing work, and I think he has picked some very, very smart roles that have allowed him to play off his natural charisma and confidence. I though he was just outstanding in Edge of Tomorrow, that's about as good as acting gets in genre films. Looking back, his performance in Eyes Wide Shut is really underrated- I think working with a master director brought a lot out of him.

I remember the goth uproar over him being cast as Lestat...Anne Rice had to take out a full page ad in the New York Times assuring that she was on board with having him be the character. Thing is, he was perfect for the role.

He's a kind of actor we really don't have any more, that kind of MOVIE STAR, matinee idol figure. He was one of the last, IMO. But being that made some folks not see past that and into his real talent.

Pity about the Scientology, insanity, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Gary Sax, Black Barney
More
21 Mar 2015 06:39 #199841 by Cranberries
I'm going to rewatch Jerry McGuire tonight.

I bet Europeans *love* that In Bruges scene with the overweight Americans.
More
21 Mar 2015 10:56 - 21 Mar 2015 10:56 #199846 by Disgustipater
My wife wanted to see The Duff and since it was $5 Tuesday, I said why not. The plot was as predictable and formulaic as it could possibly get, but it did have some funny lines.

craniac wrote: I bet Europeans *love* that In Bruges scene with the overweight Americans.

I know this is not the point you are making, but the actors are clearly not American and just trying to do American accents. I didn't realize they were supposed to be Americans the first time I saw it, I thought Colin Farrel was just making something up to explain it.

Funny, I'm guessing that's how other nationalities feel when they hear non-natives doing their accents.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2015 10:56 by Disgustipater.
More
23 Mar 2015 09:56 #199889 by Black Barney
i thought the fat guy was American but the girl he's with is clearly not American, she has a pretty noticeable accent.

Did you notice in the clip (which takes part as hour later into the film) that they mention the tower is closed cuz an American had a heart attack the day before? lol, i never noticed that.
More
23 Mar 2015 10:25 #199892 by charlest
Fury - Excellent despite the over the top ending. Loved Pitt and Lebouf. Loved the dynamic between the crew.

Birdman - What I expected somewhat but still many surprises. Loved the ending in particular and great performances all around. I wish Edward Norton would do more quality films.
More
24 Mar 2015 20:37 #199935 by Grudunza
What We Do in the Shadows is a lot of fun. It's a mockumentary style look at a group of vampires sharing an apartment (er, flat) together. It was very amusing at first but I was wondering at about the 20 minute point how long it could keep things going, but then with the introduction of Nick and his friend, Stu, as well as some other clever turns, it really held up well, with a lot of laughs throughout.
More
25 Mar 2015 08:18 #199940 by repoman
Watched Tricked on Netflix. A documentary about prostitution and sex slavery. Eye opening and depressing.
More
25 Mar 2015 10:55 #199944 by SebastianBludd
I watched Triangle recently. It's a maritime horror film that leans more towards the existential as it goes on, though there is a little gore. I figured out what was going on relatively early but it was still fun watching it play out and there were a few visuals that really stuck with me. It's not a movie that's very rewatchable due to it being built around its twist(s) but I'd watch it again sometime.

Due to scheduling weirdness on the movie channels they recently not only aired 1975's Rollerball, but also the 2002 remake. I'd never seen the original so I recorded both so I could watch them back-to-back and compare them. First, I was surprised at how good Rollerball (1975) was and how well it's held up. It's unfortunate that the fictitious sport of Rollerball is based on roller derby because that sort of easy punchline overshadows what is a great 1970's dystopian scifi movie. There's this great thread of melancholy that runs through the movie that pairs excellently with the sterile 70's building and interior designs. And motorcycle goofiness aside, the Rollerball segments are great. They're well-shot and brutal, and they took care to actually give nods to rules and tactics such that the vast majority of the time you can tell what's going on.

The remake is garbage. Despite it being made 27 years after the original (and only 13 years ago), it has aged worse than the original. Their idea for setting it in the modern world is not bad - there's an upstart Rollerball league based in a generic central asian country that hires locals for peanuts to play while importing high-priced first world players - and then they proceeded to fuck it up in about eight different ways. The politics in the original weren't exactly subtle, but they're practically understated compared to the ham-handed approach in the remake. After you add Chris Klein, LL Cool J, and a heaping helping of poorly shot and poorly implemented X Games nonsense and the result is barely watchable. Avoid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.554 seconds