October 09, 2023
2787 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2933 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to? ARCHIVE

More
21 Apr 2010 11:00 #60542 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
MattDP wrote:

What guilty pleasures have you all got hidden on your playlists?

Looking at my iphone it's all classical, folk, jazz, some metal and underground hip hop, lot's of newgrass ... basically all intellectual bullshit pretentious music... and then, in the middle of all that are all my favorite Prince and MJ tunes. Sometimes when I'm bicycling home I get busted singing "Bad" out loud.

Talk is cheap, your not a man
Your throwing stones, to hide your hands
The topic has been locked.
More
04 May 2010 13:06 #61805 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
MattDP wrote:

I heard Sting's "Fields of Gold" in the pub the other night, and now I can't stop listening to it, or admiring it's emotional fragility.

God help me. The same thing happened with "Walking in Memephis" a few years back.

What guilty pleasures have you all got hidden on your playlists?

I'll play this game, but I really came here to tell you all to listen to PASSION PIT's "Sleepyhead."

That's some shit I can get behind. I've also been musically obsessing on BAND OF HORSES singing "No One's Gonna Love You." The sound here sucks, I would try to track it down legit if you like this even a little. It's heartbreaking.

These probably count as guilty pleasures to you metal heads.

That said, I've been enjoying NANCY SINATRA lately, specifically "You Only Live Twice" and "Sugartown."

I also want you guys to check out THE CLIENTELE covering M.I.A's "Paper Planes." They really deliver on the intro.
More
04 May 2010 13:42 #61807 by Michael Barnes
Jeb, if you haven't already make sure you listen to the records Nancy Sinatra made with Lee Hazlewood..."Nancy & Lee" is an _astonishing_ record, and "Some Velvet Morning" is one of the greatest songs ever written. There's some really incredible music on those records..."Sand", "Strawberry Wine"...

Lately I've just been listening to Black Sabbath...just for fun, the top 10 Sabbath tracks:

1) Children of the Grave
2) Symptom of the Universe
3) Supernaut
4) Hole in the Sky
5) Black Sabbath
6) Electric Funeral
7) War Pigs
8) Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
9) Am I Going Insane?
10) Under the Sun

No "Iron Man" or "Paranoid"...WHAT?!
More
04 May 2010 14:59 - 04 May 2010 15:08 #61811 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
Michael Barnes wrote:

Jeb, if you haven't already make sure you listen to the records Nancy Sinatra made with Lee Hazlewood..."Nancy & Lee" is an _astonishing_ record, and "Some Velvet Morning" is one of the greatest songs ever written. There's some really incredible music on those records..."Sand", "Strawberry Wine"...

Lately I've just been listening to Black Sabbath...just for fun, the top 10 Sabbath tracks:

1) Children of the Grave
2) Symptom of the Universe
3) Supernaut
4) Hole in the Sky
5) Black Sabbath
6) Electric Funeral
7) War Pigs
8) Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
9) Am I Going Insane?
10) Under the Sun

No "Iron Man" or "Paranoid"...WHAT?!

No Never Say Die? Jonny Blade? Gypsy? Wheels of Confusion? Into the Void? And we're not even mentioning any Dio classics (Heaven & Hell, Neon Knights, Children of the Sea, Mob Rules).

Still a pretty awesome classic list with some outliers like AIGI or UtS.
Last edit: 04 May 2010 15:08 by Columbob.
More
04 May 2010 15:11 #61812 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
Now that's just pretentious.
More
04 May 2010 15:20 - 04 May 2010 15:20 #61815 by Michael Barnes
Not much of a Dio fan, really...you pretty much listed all the good Dio Sabbath songs.

"Into the Void" just missed it. Actually, I swapped out "AIGI" for it. That's such a cool song, it's like Sabbath does British Invasion.

"Children of the Grave" may be the best metal song ever recorded. "Symptom of the Universe" is crust punk and grindcore ten years too early...with a jazz break...

When you really sit down and listen to Sabbath, there's so much that's surprising beyond the "gee whiz, these guys created heavy metal" thing...some extremely sophisticated music, more politics than devil worship, and an incredible range of styles.

"Master of Reality" is the best record, hands down.
Last edit: 04 May 2010 15:20 by Michael Barnes.
More
04 May 2010 16:10 #61821 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
1. N.I.B.
2. Electric Funeral
3. Hand of Doom
4. The Mob Rules
5. Megalomania
6. Behind the Wall of Sleep
7. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
8. The Writ
9. Am I Going Insane
10. Faeries Wear Boots

for Sting:
1. Children's Crusade
2. St. Augustine in Hell
3. (Can't think of the title but the Vampire song on Blue Turtles)
4. Brand New Day (Friggin' Super Bowl one year pounded this song in my head)
5. Love is Stronger than Justice
6. The Shape of My Heart
7. Englishman in New York
8. fill her Up
9. the soul cages
10. Fields of Gold
More
05 May 2010 14:18 #61995 by dave
Replied by dave on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
Michael Barnes wrote:

"Children of the Grave" may be the best metal song ever recorded. "Symptom of the Universe" is crust punk and grindcore ten years too early...with a jazz break...

Ugh, I don't dig those two at all, along with "Am I Going Insane?" (really?! I'm surprised you two don't have "Changes" on your lists...).

I have 2 Sabbath 5-star tracks: "Wheel of Confusion" (trippy) and "Megalomania" (epic). Of the 11 4-star tracks, "Into the Void" and "Under the Sun" come closest based on fat stoner riffage. For me, the "hands down" best is Vol 4, despite the thin sound. Lots of great stuff on Paranoid too, although the overplay of the famous tracks makes it a chore to get through.

Across his whole career, I only have one Dio track rated above 3 stars: Rainbow's "Tarot Woman".
More
05 May 2010 14:34 #62002 by Michael Barnes
I'd rate "Rainbow in the Dark" a full five stars for sheer ridiculousness.

For the weird Sabbath ballads, the only one that's really interesting is "Solitude".

That's a good point about "Paranoid"...it's a tremendous album, but I seriously don't think I've listened to the title track or "Iron Man" in fifteen years. "War Pigs" I can still deal with because the song is incredible. But those two...man, I just don't want to hear them anymore. They are among the songs I've been listening to the longest in my life. The first time I heard "Paranoid" I was in my sister's Camaro being driven home from school. I was like six.

That's weird to me that "COG" and "SotU" get an "ugh" from you Dave...those are two of their heaviest, most forward-thinking tracks. It looks like you're more into the stoner end of things though, not so much the faster, gallopy stuff.
More
05 May 2010 14:44 #62009 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
Paranoid is probably my favorite album from them just for Hand of Doom and Electric Funeral. Sabotage is a pretty close second for me though, just for the songs from Megalomania on.
More
05 May 2010 15:01 - 05 May 2010 15:04 #62017 by Schweig!
I've been listening A LOT to Richard Hell and the Voidoids' "Destiny Street" recently. "Downtown at Dawn" is my new favourite song! "Time" is great track, too, it was covered by the Minutemen. Hell 'repaired' the album recently but the re-release sucks to be quite honest.
Last edit: 05 May 2010 15:04 by Schweig!.
More
05 May 2010 15:22 #62020 by Michael Barnes
That's a _great_ record, Schweig...man, I haven't listened to that in ages...bought it on cassette for fifty cents at a going-out-of-buiness record store many years ago.
More
06 May 2010 06:16 #62079 by Matt Thrower
I've just got into last.fm. Only been using it for a week, but my musical taste is starting to take shape ...

www.last.fm/user/mattthr

Anyone else got a last.fm profile?
More
06 May 2010 06:37 #62080 by Schweig!
I sent you a friendship invite.

moss_icon is on last.fm: emo_bastard
And Jur: jurdj
More
06 May 2010 09:35 - 06 May 2010 09:37 #62099 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
mikoyan wrote:

10. Faeries Wear Boots

Damn, that's probably the biggest one missing from Barnes' list. Awesome track.

Apparently the Paranoid album was supposed to be titled War Pigs (just look at the cover of a swordsman wearing a pig mask fer crissakes!), but the record company had it changed at the 11th hour.

The first Nativity in Black covers album was great too, check out the Black Sabbath cover by Type O Negative (RIP Peter Steele 2010).
Last edit: 06 May 2010 09:37 by Columbob.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds