October 09, 2023
2792 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2937 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to? ARCHIVE

More
09 Mar 2010 16:15 #57307 by dave
Replied by dave on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
Michael Barnes wrote:

Strangely, proceeds from the record are going to help Haiti. Didn't see that coming!

!!!

As long as it doesn't spurn any of those tired "'black' metal" jokes, that's cool.

The Darkthrone sounds cool. I haven't picked up any new black metal in many, many years.

Listening to those two sent me off on an old metal thing...so I broke out the Bathory records. "Blood Fire Death" and "Hammerheart" are two of the greatest metal records ever recorded. Mercyful Fate's "Melissa", holy shit. The first couple of Sodom records...Kreator...and of course, Celtic Frost.

Hell to the Yeah, doubly so on the Sodom.
The topic has been locked.
More
09 Mar 2010 16:32 #57309 by Michael Barnes
Oddly, black metal has been one of the more progressive genres over the past couple of years...some really interesting stuff going on...but like most metal genres, the more they play around, the less metal it gets...

The Darkthrone record is fun, but don't expect anything like their old stuff...but if you're down with that, I'd also recommend their last couple of records- "Dark Thrones and Black Flags" was great, it had a song called "The Wind they Called the Dungeon Shaker" on it. A lot of those TRVE KVLT fuckers hate their new material, but they likely also worship Nifelheim. But if you like stuff like Sodom and don't mind a punkier sound, you should be just fine.

Out of all the newer BM I've heard over the past two years, I'd definitely recommend anything from Peste Noire (France), Wolven Ancestry (Canada), the last two Nachtmystium records (US), all the Furze albums(Norway), and all the Leviathan(US) albums.
More
09 Mar 2010 16:51 #57311 by dave
The problem with black metal is that several highly regarded releases over the past decade (my shit goes back to mid 90's) are no longer available. My current music listening project ( halfturkey.blogspot.com/search/label/Project%20250 ) is @ 1979; I may have to proactively scoop stuff up now so that it's available later...

p.s. Black Metal listening must be as lame in GA as it is in OR (at least we have Agalloch to sop things up for us). I got a lot more out of it in NY and WI. We had one snowy day this year, and I walked around all night listening to a black metal smart playlist, and it was 10x better...
More
09 Mar 2010 17:18 #57315 by Michael Barnes
Oh man, nothing beats putting on a Burzum record on a really cold, snowy day. On a humid day in mid-June...not the same thing at all. It's music for colder climes, that's for sure.

Black metal pretty much doesn't exist in Atlanta. There's no 'scene', and practically zero bands. Every now and then a show comes- Satyricon a couple of years ago, but I'd rather not hear anything past the second record...Mayhem back in 2000...Watain came through last year...but by and large, not much going on. I only know one other person that is really even aware of the genre, the infamous Billy Motion.
More
10 Mar 2010 03:44 #57335 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
The Czech BM scene is almost non-existent as well - I haven't heard Master's Hammer's new album yet but I didn't like their previous work much so I don't think this one will change it. Root sucks and so does Trollech and other crappy "pagan" stuff. However, Hell Militia, Blacklodge and Aosoth are coming to Czech Republic in April so I am curious about that, never heard this stuff alive.
More
12 Mar 2010 00:57 #57476 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
So tonight I went to see Ray Davies in concert and that was pretty awesome. It's amazing that at 66 years old, he still has quite a bit of energy in him. He played mostly stuff from the Kinks and a couple of his solo songs. The warmup band (the 88) complimented him pretty well and played with him for the last couple of songs.
More
12 Mar 2010 02:15 #57478 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
For those of you heartbroken by the end of Norwegian band Madrugada: Sivert Hoyem, the singer of the band with the dark brown voice has a new solo album out, bit more rock than the former.Good vibe.
Also new: Blood Red Shoes and Gorillaz. Gorillaz off in the direction of Damon Albarn's Chinese opera project, Blood Red Shoes on a slightly different tangent but with the same energy. BRMC also out, but not in my possession yet.
More
12 Mar 2010 02:19 #57479 by dave
Speaking up black metal and my music listening project: This week was my first listen to The Germs. I hadn't realized that such a point existed on the punk/black metal continuum. Much needed after two The Saints albums.
More
23 Mar 2010 11:15 #58248 by Shellhead
Thanks to my girlfriend, this song has been stuck in my head lately:

It's a catchy slice of new retro. Sounds exactly like actual '80s pop music, plus the vocalist is doing an amazing Bowie imitation.
More
23 Mar 2010 11:46 - 23 Mar 2010 12:00 #58249 by Mr. White
Here's another very retro 80's tune as well. Voice sounds like a happy Dylan, music sounds like J Geils band. Catchy.

(Sounds like you and your girlfriend are still together. Good to hear. I recall you mentioning it may be on the outs)

Here's a tune I've been enjoying lately.

Last edit: 23 Mar 2010 12:00 by Mr. White.
More
31 Mar 2010 14:18 #58660 by Thaadd
(and gave me an asthma attack from laughing).

For those of you guys old enough to remember Tina Turner, in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - AND who can appreciate terrible, terrible music covers...

Finnish Metal band covering that song. NO really. It has to be seen to be believed. Also, EPIC BEARDS.
More
31 Mar 2010 17:10 #58671 by ChristopherMD
Been enjoying Diablo Swing Orchestra lately. They have some sample songs on their website . They sound pretty much like you'd expect from the band name.
More
05 Apr 2010 15:27 #58904 by Sagrilarus
I've just discovered that the Bouchard boys are back playing as "Blue Coupe" and showing just how much of the heart and soul they took with them when BOC broke into pieces.

There's some homemade vids on YouTube that have them live. I'd love to get a recording of a whole concert.

S.
More
17 Apr 2010 23:33 #60131 by Shellhead
This is one getting some local airplay, but the group still hasn't released an album yet. Fiendishly catchy, this one has been stuck in my brain for days.

Ring, Ring, by the Sleigh Bells:

More
21 Apr 2010 09:00 #60530 by Matt Thrower
I heard Sting's "Fields of Gold" in the pub the other night, and now I can't stop listening to it, or admiring it's emotional fragility.

God help me. The same thing happened with "Walking in Memephis" a few years back.

What guilty pleasures have you all got hidden on your playlists?
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds