October 09, 2023
2557 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2757 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching ARCHIVE

More
17 Mar 2015 11:15 #199620 by Cranberries

Pugnax555 wrote: At a friend's suggestion, I started watching The Jinx last night. Holy shit, HBO and true crime stories go well together. This is covering the story of Robert Durst, a NY real estate heir who seems to keep having murders and disappearances happen around him. I didn't listen to Serial, but this is apparently what a lot of people wanted that to be.

Otherwise the tube's been showing Better Call Saul, Three's Company, Newhart, Seinfeld....

They arrested that guy!

Justified and The Americans are both amazing right now.

LMOE was written by someone who has been married twenty years. It's such a great commentary on being 40-something.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2015 11:56 #199621 by Shellhead
I'm surprised to hear that Justified is good again. Season two was great, but season three was just okay. Season four was okay as well, but somehow I just didn't care enough to watch the final episode of that season.

More
17 Mar 2015 12:17 #199624 by Cranberries
To be fair, Justified is "fan good," something appreciated by those who stuck it out. I don't know if someone coming in cold would feel the same thrill. The last episode of The Americans was so tasty, and the final two minutes had me cheering for Russian spies as they . . .

More
17 Mar 2015 14:40 #199633 by SuperflyPete
As a resident of Kentucky and one who has friends raised in Harlan, I absolutely adore Justified. The acting is great, the stories are Elmore Leonard standard quality. Fuckin' A. Love.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Msample, Dutch

More
17 Mar 2015 15:13 #199634 by Shellhead
I enjoyed season two of Justified the most because it really dug into the back story in Harlan by showing and not just telling. By the end of season four, I was getting tired of Timothy Olyphant's smug face.

More
17 Mar 2015 15:36 #199636 by Dutch
I'm with you, Superfly. I think Justified has been an extraordinary show and I'm delighted with the way this current season is going. I am constantly surprised with the various twists and turns, and charmed by the sharp dialogue and characterizations.

Unlike several of my friends who lost interest in the show two seasons ago (the Neal McDonough season), I've found the show pretty consistently great. My one gripe was a lack of Raylon last year (the Crowe family season), but they've more than compensated this time around. Over the last few years, I think Olyphant has grown into his smug face.

More
17 Mar 2015 23:21 #199662 by Cranberries

Dutch wrote: I'm with you, Superfly. I think Justified has been an extraordinary show and I'm delighted with the way this current season is going. I am constantly surprised with the various twists and turns, and charmed by the sharp dialogue and characterizations.

Unlike several of my friends who lost interest in the show two seasons ago (the Neal McDonough season), I've found the show pretty consistently great. My one gripe was a lack of Raylon last year (the Crowe family season), but they've more than compensated this time around. Over the last few years, I think Olyphant has grown into his smug face.

The show is chock full of useful life advice as well:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Grudunza, ChristopherMD, Legomancer, Msample, Dutch, Gregarius

More
18 Mar 2015 11:14 - 18 Mar 2015 11:15 #199683 by Pugnax555

craniac wrote:

Pugnax555 wrote: At a friend's suggestion, I started watching The Jinx last night. Holy shit, HBO and true crime stories go well together. This is covering the story of Robert Durst, a NY real estate heir who seems to keep having murders and disappearances happen around him.

They arrested that guy!

They did! And he's pleading not guilty. This despite the existence of audio evidence of him alone in the bathroom after an interview talking to himself saying "Of course I did it. I killed all of them." He rushed into the bathroom after an interview and nobody realized the mic was still on. The filmmakers never even heard it until two years later while putting the film together. Because he had a reasonable expectation to privacy, it will probably be inadmissible in court. This is going to be interesting.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2015 11:15 by Pugnax555. Reason: iTypo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 Mar 2015 19:37 - 18 Mar 2015 19:58 #199719 by daveroswell
Did anyone watch the pilot of iZombie? A workaholic 20 something female mysteriously becomes a zombie and fights crime. Formulaic as all hell and reminded me of Veronica Mars meets Shaun of the Dead, but the cast meshed well in the pilot, and it seems enjoyable enough for now (on CW).
Last edit: 18 Mar 2015 19:58 by daveroswell.

More
20 Mar 2015 11:07 #199817 by airmarkus
Like others I'm enjoying Arrow and I think the lead actor playing Arrow is pretty damn good. Most of the supporting actors are less impressive, however I do enjoy Emily Bett Rickards's character quite a bit. I think she is one of the few female actresses on this show whose performance I buy into. This season is a bit of a letdown so far, but it's going to be hard to top Season 2. Without spoiling anything ,I think a recent episode set on the island undermined a lot of how they built up a certain badass character last year, which was disappointing to me. Hopefully it will get better.

Flash however has really gotten its hooks into me. This week's episode was awesome. I can't quite put my finger on why I like this show so much. Without having read comic books growing up, it still seems more comic-bookey to me than a lot of other shows and hence, more fun. It's just a fun show, and I love the special effects they are coming up with. For a T.V. show its quite impressive.

More
21 Mar 2015 01:18 #199840 by Tim Champlin
I'm definitely with you on The Flash airmarkus. I wasn't sure how I felt about it with the first couple of episodes but it's become the only show I am currently following on a weekly basis. I think you're right that it is just good comic book fun and a breath of fresh air compared to the majority of other superhero media which tries to be realistic, grim, and gritty, because that's the only way they feel it can be taken seriously. The Flash revels in what it is, and knows that it's main goal is to entertain but the writing is still good enough that when you are supposed to take something seriously, you really feel it.

I feel that it's similar in tone to the first two Rami Spider-Man movies but hopefully this will age a lot better. The main character is very endearing and is eager to help others and fight crime while desperately trying to balance his personal life. I agree with you that the special effects and action sequences have been really creative and impressive, especially for a tv show. I appreciate that saving people is always his priority over just fighting the bad guy. Most of the support characters are top notch and likable. I LOVE his father-son relationship with Joe. At first I thought Cisco and Caitlin would just be there as Big bang-ish nerd characters, but I have loved what they have done on the show so far. I'm worried about Eddie and the insinuated dark path he is about to get on. He's been such a top notch gentleman so far and I was hoping he could just stay this really good and decent character. Oh well, I am still so sold on this show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, airmarkus

More
30 Mar 2015 19:59 #200150 by hotseatgames
Just watched the season finale of The Walking Dead. Could there be a lazier bunch of writers? I really just need to quit watching; I keep hoping they will kill the entire cast and it's not happening fast enough.

Here's some particularly curious plot points...
Warning: Spoiler!

More
30 Mar 2015 21:39 #200151 by ChristopherMD
Glenn
Warning: Spoiler!

More
31 Mar 2015 08:59 #200156 by charlest
Agree, that was an hour and a half of wasted time.

More
31 Mar 2015 11:06 #200162 by Black Barney
haven't read those spoilers but it sounds like I'm glad that I gave up on Walking Dead this season. I watched the first episode and that was it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds