October 09, 2023
2807 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2955 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Descent stuff going for crazy prices on ebay

More
05 Oct 2011 16:40 #105086 by jeb

Mr Skeletor wrote: Well I'm certain people who take their opinion off people who blow massive ammounts of cash based on a video review seriously will find whatever the fuck that was informative.

Frank, always so welcoming to the new members.

JR_Bob_Dobbs, you'd be crazy not to unload the game. You don't like it. You can turn it into a mountain of cash. You should do this. I like DESCENT, and am keeping the chunks I have. My kids would assassinate me for getting rid of it--they just like playing with the figurines and "puzzles" (read: map tiles).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2011 21:38 #105185 by JR_Bob_Dobbs
haha, no need to rush to my defense Jeb- that tirade of mine was completely incoherent- it just spilled out of me all on its own when my initial intention had been to make a brief comment. The one thing I would say in my defense is that from the perspective of "normal" non- boardgame obsessed people, all of the members here could be accused of blowing massive amounts of money based on video reviews and here-say (even when we make "modest" 50-70 dollar purchases of single games).
I honestly don't know why I haven't gotten rid of Descent yet. Its probably because I can't allow myself to write off a game that so many people love after only a few plays. Its a weird kind of catch 22 where I still feel unresolved about the game, but I can't get my regular gaming group to play it- so I will likely never be able to see if it is better than my initial impression suggests. I know that I was really dissatisfied by what I consider to be flaws in the light nature of the core combat mechanics- but I know that design decisions like these are made deliberately in order to speed up play. I initially thought that the amount of chrome chits and doodads would make the game bog down regardless of how streamlined the combat mechanics were, but I guess that an experienced group could learn to wade through this stuff without getting snagged too often.
I can say from experience that there have been a few games which I had a similar initial reaction to where I thought that light mechanics made the tactical situation too "squishy"- which I have later come to enjoy immensely. Summoner wars comes to mind here, I initially thought it was an uninspired mash up of other games with watered down unit powers. After playing it a few times I discovered an elegant balance between the hand management aspect and the limited moves per turn that totally made me fall in love with the game.
I guess I am still hoping against hope that this sort of thing could still happen with Descent- but I would probably need to forge a whole new game group to find out for sure.

More
06 Oct 2011 22:53 #105189 by jeb
My statement is taking that into account. Yes, you could find a group of people to make DESCENT fun. I have played stuff like REEF ENCOUNTER with the right people and made that funnot torture. But is this like to happen? Which you can make bank on? Bank you could spend on the 2° Ed if your so agonized? Hello-operator, I like DESCENT and would sell mine if eBay wasn't stuff, the box wasn't beat to hello-operator, and only had base + ALTAR OF DESPAIR in it. Seems like RtL is the item really making the price jump. The kids can complain, but I could sate them with CLAUSTROPHOBIA or something until the 2° Ed came in.

Uba, let me know when I can start swearing again.

More
07 Oct 2011 01:14 #105194 by Mr Skeletor
Look, the reality is that if you and your friends don't find descent fun, iy's not the games fault - it's yours. Most likely due to you all having jungle rot brain cancer eating away the fun cortex part of you brain. A brain scan costs over $180, so you have still come out ahead.

More
07 Oct 2011 03:10 #105202 by metalface13
Guys, you're missing the point. Does anybody want to buy this stuff off me before I put it on ebay?

More
07 Oct 2011 22:01 #105248 by JR_Bob_Dobbs
Skeletor has convinced me of the error of my ways. I've gotta hold on to the faint hope that I might have gotten a defective set of Descent with the fun removed, its either that or I have 5 months to live (due to the condition).
I think its important in these dire situations to get a second opinion, so I should probably double down and buy your set too metalface. Maybe the extra descent boxes everywhere will jar me into a spontaneous Fun-remission...if not, it was nice knowing you guys for the last 3 posts.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds