October 09, 2023
2811 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2959 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Descent stuff going for crazy prices on ebay

More
01 Oct 2011 03:25 - 01 Oct 2011 06:13 #104775 by metalface13
I'm seeing Descent stuff go for crazy prices on ebay. Anybody want to make me an offer on anything before I try slinging my stuff on there? I've got

Base game
Well of Darkness (No box)
Altar of Despair (No box)
Road to Legend
Tomb of Ice
4 Promo characters with minis and cards
Last edit: 01 Oct 2011 06:13 by metalface13.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2011 04:09 #104777 by iguanaDitty
I'll trade you Groo + expansion for it.

More
01 Oct 2011 06:12 #104779 by metalface13
I'm not really looking for any board games at the moment. Grad school doesn't really leave time for it.

More
01 Oct 2011 13:16 #104787 by SuperflyPete
I sold Descent+Altar+Well for 130$, and that was CHEAP, IMO. Just letting you know where the market is.

More
01 Oct 2011 15:56 #104792 by metalface13
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationThanks. I saw Road to Legend by itself sell for $120. A set of the promo figures is going for $157!

More
01 Oct 2011 17:54 #104805 by Bullwinkle

metalface13 wrote: A set of the promo figures is going for $157!

It's remarkably horrifying to watch people genuinely losing their minds in realtime.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, SuperflyPete

More
02 Oct 2011 02:08 #104826 by Dogmatix

Bullwinkle wrote:

It's remarkably horrifying to watch people genuinely losing their minds in realtime.

Why has Descent stuff gone apeshit now? Because of the alleged new edition rendering this stuff obsolete? The promo figures I could kind of see running $100+ for the full set if it comes with the stupidly rare Runewars cards since $20-$30/fig hasn't been all that uncommon but the most of rest of the stuff is still floating around the retail pipeline...

More
02 Oct 2011 07:53 #104843 by Mr Skeletor
It's an awesome game, worth the price of any other 2 games. Warhammer Quest gets these kind of prices (if not more) and this is the better game, so it's well deserved.

More
02 Oct 2011 08:15 #104844 by Ken B.

Dogmatix wrote:

Bullwinkle wrote:

Why has Descent stuff gone apeshit now? Because of the alleged new edition rendering this stuff obsolete? The promo figures I could kind of see running $100+ for the full set if it comes with the stupidly rare Runewars cards since $20-$30/fig hasn't been all that uncommon but the most of rest of the stuff is still floating around the retail pipeline...

Won't be forever, though, so people are gobbling it up while they still can. FFG is basically saying with 2E that the 1E stuff is on the way out, once it's gone, it's gone.

The stuff that's still in the channel isn't causing the frenzy (Sea of Blood, Tomb of Ice) but the stuff that was already getting hard to find even before the announcement is (Road to Legend, a couple of other things.)

More
02 Oct 2011 16:42 - 02 Oct 2011 16:43 #104855 by Dogmatix

Mr Skeletor wrote: It's an awesome game, worth the price of any other 2 games. Warhammer Quest gets these kind of prices (if not more) and this is the better game, so it's well deserved.

Not sure I'd agree with you on this point, since, in a half-dozen games I've never had a good experience playing Descent with other people. Too many "ok, here's the optimum move..." command moments to be fun for me. At least with WHQ, I find it does hold up OK to solo play. Anyway, the only Descent item I haven't found available from an online retailer at or below MSRP within a minute of looking is Road to Legend. Guess I'll pick up Altar of Despair and Well of Darkness as Xmas gifts for a buddy of mine who truly loves the game but never picked up the early expansions since another in our group (who has since moved) had the full lot.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2011 16:43 by Dogmatix.

More
02 Oct 2011 21:57 #104873 by hotseatgames
It's nice to know it's valuable, but I'll keep my stuff. There have been times in the past where I sold stuff off just to make a few dollars, and later regretted it. You never know when you'll want it.

More
02 Oct 2011 22:06 #104875 by Ken B.

hotseatgames wrote: It's nice to know it's valuable, but I'll keep my stuff. There have been times in the past where I sold stuff off just to make a few dollars, and later regretted it. You never know when you'll want it.

Yeah, that's how I am. I've got Descent and one expansion...I'm totally good. Don't really need more, but don't want to sell it off either.

More
03 Oct 2011 13:46 #104920 by SuperflyPete
For me, it was like this:

"I have a ton of Dungeon Crawls. Do I really need this one? Nah, probably not when I can get Ascending Empires, Chaos in the Old World, and Survive! for what I can sell these for."

Easy decision for me. :)

More
04 Oct 2011 22:06 #105048 by JR_Bob_Dobbs
For me Descent was one of the worst instances of boardgame purchasing gluttony that I have ever experienced. I bought the base set and ALL its expansions in one go without ever trying out the game (this was before Sea of Blood existed, so that is the only one I do not own).
I did this based on the way Tom Vasel raved about the game in one of his top 100 videos- and based on obsessive research on the geek and elsewhere. Usually I can get a pretty good idea of a game from this sort of research, but Descent really threw me for a loop. I think I might have been mostly misled by the fact that everyone from the BGG crowd was taking such pains to downplay or make excuses for elements of the game that were widely considered to be "too complicated". In my mind, this was a good sign- because I like complicated. I would say though, that Descent is too simple- which seems kinda crazy considering the amount of fluff involved and the play/setup time.
The thing is, it seems like the designers of that game were trying to streamline the hell out of the basic combat mechanics that all of the other crazy shit in the game runs on top of (presumably in order to make it easier for casual players to jump right into the game). The result is a "tactical" game where simple DnD concepts like facing, line of sight, and attacks of opportunity are absent (for the most part). Core rules which ignore positioning largely strip away the abstract spatial/tactical decision making aspect of navigating the battle space. The result is that the only consideration is generally "If I can get over to that guy I want to kill I should always do it" rather than "how is my new position on the board going to threaten certain squares" aka what kinds of lanes of fire and adjacent squares will I be locking down or exposing myself to/ how does my new positioning interplay with my allies if I move to a new spot. I guess my point is that it is hard to imagine somebody who I would want to play descent with who is not already at least somewhat versed in D&D or similar tactical squad based miniature games. I mean, if a potential player is not already down with tackling that bit of extra complexity that has been skimmed out of the core rules for descent, then they are probably the sort of people who would get scared away from Descent by all the chrome and chits and upgrade cards anyway. sigh... that was a rant un-looked for...
Also spells do not really exist in the way you would think- wizards roll exactly the same way that archers do from a game-play mechanics perspective! WTF Descent....why are you trying to create "elegant" solutions to do away with fiddly spell decks- You require two gigantic tackle-boxes just to store your chits alone...!
I may be horribly unqualified to comment, because my game group HATED this thing from the minute it hit the table, and to date I have only managed !2! plays. I would still definitely play it again (If only to validate the 180 dollars that descended out of my wallet and never again saw the light of day), but I find it hard enough to corral people into playing one of my coffin box games in the first place, and I cannot imagine putting in the effort for this one unless somebody in my group was already self-motivated. I know this thread is about the price of descent stuff, and not really designed as a soap box for me to mouth off about the things I don't like about a game I only played a handful of times. I guess I am just trying to hammer home the whole "Caveat Emptor" message- Especially for those of you who might be planning to "Emptor" at inflated Ebay prices! (Emere? emptorare? Whateverarum! I'm too tired from flaming and being a dick to think back to high school Latin class just to impress you jerks)

More
04 Oct 2011 23:38 #105052 by Mr Skeletor
Well I'm certain people who take their opinion off people who blow massive ammounts of cash based on a video review seriously will find whatever the fuck that was informative.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds