October 09, 2023
2609 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2808 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
22 Apr 2024 10:02 #342180 by ChristopherMD
Ghosts - Been watching the UK version but I've read that the US one is almost as good. A couple inherit a big mansion but its filled with ghosts that the woman can see and hear. The ghosts are more like sitcom housemates she has to deal with rather than scary. British humor can be hit or miss for me but in this case its definitely a hit.

Renegade Nell - Not sure what to make of this show. Early 18th century Highwaywoman gets super strength/speed along with Xena-level fighting skills from a fairy. Catches musketballs like Superman and fought a demon so far. On par with a CW show where your interest in the world that it's in will determine watchability more than it's quality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2024 11:50 #342181 by Nodens
While I do enjoy Electric Dreams it's a bit strange. Probably because I read all these stories several times as a teenager and young adult and this new version is true enough to them to remind me of that time in my own life. It's a good show with great personnel (Steve Buscemi, Juno Temple and many more), but it maybe came out 20 years too late?

Electric Dreams shows how deep Philip Dick's ideas are ingrained in modern scifi and how deeply his writing was influenced by the Cold War, which to me is a good thing, because my childhood was too. If I was under 30 I maybe would compare this to Black Mirror or Mr. Robot like people seem to do, but really I don't see the point.

Also it wasn't mentioned here nor anywhere else I read on the web, I stumbled over it more or less accidentally. Has nobody seen it, or did everyone find it meh, or is PKD about to be forgotten?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, DarthJoJo

More
22 Apr 2024 12:19 #342184 by Shellhead

ChristopherMD wrote: Ghosts - Been watching the UK version but I've read that the US one is almost as good. A couple inherit a big mansion but its filled with ghosts that the woman can see and hear. The ghosts are more like sitcom housemates she has to deal with rather than scary. British humor can be hit or miss for me but in this case its definitely a hit.

I watched the first several episodes of the UK version. I seriously love the scene where the woman finally confronts all the ghosts and asks them what they want from her, one by one. But eventually I got bored with the central gimmick, which is that only the woman can interact with the ghosts and everybody else keeps thinking that she is eccentric or possibly crazy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
22 Apr 2024 12:28 #342185 by charlest

Nodens wrote: While I do enjoy Electric Dreams it's a bit strange. Probably because I read all these stories several times as a teenager and young adult and this new version is true enough to them to remind me of that time in my own life. It's a good show with great personnel (Steve Buscemi, Juno Temple and many more), but it maybe came out 20 years too late?

Electric Dreams shows how deep Philip Dick's ideas are ingrained in modern scifi and how deeply his writing was influenced by the Cold War, which to me is a good thing, because my childhood was too. If I was under 30 I maybe would compare this to Black Mirror or Mr. Robot like people seem to do, but really I don't see the point.

Also it wasn't mentioned here nor anywhere else I read on the web, I stumbled over it more or less accidentally. Has nobody seen it, or did everyone find it meh, or is PKD about to be forgotten?

I watched it a few years ago and remember enjoying it. Mostly though, it made me hoping for more Black Mirror.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames

More
24 Apr 2024 08:56 #342198 by hotseatgames
I watched three episodes of Ripley on Netflix. This is an adaptation of The Talented Mr. Ripley. Essentially, Moriarti from the BBC Sherlock is a con man / identity thief, and heads to Italy for some crimes.

It didn't grab me too much, and I was mostly frustrated at how gorgeous I could tell the Italy scenes would be, but they are in black and white which was a bummer.

I've also started a show called Warrior, about a Chinese immigrant who gets into the underworld in old time America, feuding with the Irish. It is over the top fun, with tons of fights, blood, and sex.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
24 Apr 2024 12:39 #342201 by DarthJoJo

hotseatgames wrote: I've also started a show called Warrior, about a Chinese immigrant who gets into the underworld in old time America, feuding with the Irish. It is over the top fun, with tons of fights, blood, and sex.

I’m only two episodes into Warrior but really digging it. It feels like a Guy Ritchie take on Peaky Blinders. Make it dumber and flashier.

Kind of impressed by the acting across the board. Nothing to put on an Oscar resume but good in that Jason Statham-esque absolute commitment to the tough guy trope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Nodens

More
24 Apr 2024 17:06 #342205 by Nodens
Really nice to see Warrior finally getting some love. A couple of years ago jason10mm and I discussed it in this very thread. Fun show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, jason10mm, hotseatgames

More
24 Apr 2024 20:02 #342207 by DarthJoJo
Coming to Netflix and not being gated to whatever Cinemax uses is huge.

More
26 Apr 2024 10:14 #342211 by jason10mm
Yeah, Warrior puts almost every action TV show and many films to shame. The latest season floated away from Max, might be on Netflix? so I gotta pin it down and watch it. This show, like a fair number of skinemax type action/salacious sex shows, realizes it is a FAR better action drama than T&A show so the sex stuff gets toned down pretty dramatically as it goes on. Almost a shame because they cast some really stunning women for bit parts. But this crop of asian actors, almost all of whom can speak flawless unaccented english (either natively or through "ACTING") really highlights the hollywood mystery of why more asians aren't just cast as regular parts in shows. No need to have some sort of immigrant plotline to explain away their accent, just put them in stuff to be a regular person.

I do feel the show minimizes how effective irish boxing and what not can be, especially when it is a 240 pound guy slugging a 135 pound kung fu artist. But they mostly do a good job keeping the fights grounded and limit weight disparities (the women really earn their victories, rarely do you see one just tossing heavyweights around like sacks of feathers and walking away without a scratch).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
26 Apr 2024 11:39 #342215 by hotseatgames
One not really spoiler that is irritating me about the writing on Warrior.... the main character has been warned repeatedly about not straying too far from the gang. But he's just allowed to disappear for hours to do his own thing.

More
29 Apr 2024 09:54 #342222 by Shellhead
I finally finished Doom Patrol. The penultimate episode was actually pretty good, with the team attempting and failing a time heist similar to the one the Avengers pulled off in Endgame. It's the Doom Patrol, so of course they failed, but it was still enjoyable to watch because deceased team founder Niles Caulder (Timothy Dalton) is in three of the time travel destinations. There was some actual character development in these scenes, including resolution of one character's show-long character arc.

The final episode starts out pretty rough, with a shockingly bad musical number that also featured a bunch of carnivorous butts and ends with a colorful implosion. After that is a long serious of goodbyes that puts Lord of the Rings: the Return of the King to shame. It was too many goodbyes, but some of the moments were quite moving. A wise person once said, "If you tell a story long enough, it ends in death," and that is certainly the case here. The funeral scene was classic Doom Patrol: sad, disgusting, and funny. I'm glad that I watched the entire Doom Patrol series, but it wasn't binge-worthy and I probably won't watch it again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, DarthJoJo

More
29 Apr 2024 20:59 #342226 by The King in Yellow
Currently watching "3 Body Problem" on Netflix. I have no idea if this is going to be good, but I am completely hooked after 3 episodes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, ChristopherMD, jason10mm

More
29 Apr 2024 21:37 #342227 by dysjunct

hotseatgames wrote: I finished season 2 of Physical: 100 on Netflix. This South Korean show puts 100 athletes through unbelievable challenges until only one remains. It is way more exciting than you might imagine, even if some of the techniques used in production are annoying, such as replaying the same short clip several times from different angles, which in itself wouldn't be so bad if they weren't also replaying the ooohs and ahhs of the competitors.

Give it a shot if you want to feel really bad about your physical fitness level.

Based on this, I am a few episodes into Season 1 and can confirm everything you said:

- The physical fitness of the contestants is amazing
- The typical reality-show hype techniques are very annoying.

Still pretty compelling though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
30 Apr 2024 14:42 #342234 by Joebot

The King in Yellow wrote: Currently watching "3 Body Problem" on Netflix. I have no idea if this is going to be good, but I am completely hooked after 3 episodes.

I loved the first 4 or 5 episodes of 3 Body Problem. The back half of the season ... not so much.

I watched the first episode of Warriors based on the recommendations here. Early impressions are favorable. The show is reminiscent of Spartacus, with lots of over-the-top violence and gratuitous nudity. These are not complaints, mind you.

I also picked up a free trial to AppleTV+, so I'm catching up on the latest season of For All Mankind. It continues to be an ambitious show in terms of world-building. However, the premise of the show (jump forward a decade every season) is causing issues where most of the characters from past seasons are either dead, old, or boring. The show needs an influx of new characters. Still a fun show though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The King in Yellow, hotseatgames, sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds