Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Angola Starting in July

More
29 Jun 2012 19:56 #129643 by Fallen
Replied by Fallen on topic Re: Angola Starting in July

Gary Sax wrote: Holy shit, I just read the rules to this, it was sitting on my doorstep when I returned from abroad.

This game is fucking creative. I love the combat results table---basically, fundamentally odds determine the outcome of the fight, modified by technology, etc. So if you've got 5-1 odds with just regular guys, the best the opponent, regardless of the technology the other side has deployed, can do is move you down to the results of like a 2-1 fight. That is a freaking cool way to model this... the foreign aid system looks totally awesome too, along with reinforcement bidding. Besides combat, it's also VERY simple.

At first glance, this is a game I would pass on, but if that battle system actually works, I think I may have to give it a try. Sounds awesome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2012 20:10 #129647 by Gary Sax
It's definitely wargame material, but there's a lot of stuff here that breaks the historical wargame mold... random starts, a (historical) help the losing player mechanic, etc.

More
30 Jun 2012 07:43 #129667 by Dr. Mabuse

Fallen wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: Holy shit, I just read the rules to this, it was sitting on my doorstep when I returned from abroad.

This game is fucking creative. I love the combat results table---basically, fundamentally odds determine the outcome of the fight, modified by technology, etc. So if you've got 5-1 odds with just regular guys, the best the opponent, regardless of the technology the other side has deployed, can do is move you down to the results of like a 2-1 fight. That is a freaking cool way to model this... the foreign aid system looks totally awesome too, along with reinforcement bidding. Besides combat, it's also VERY simple.

At first glance, this is a game I would pass on, but if that battle system actually works, I think I may have to give it a try. Sounds awesome!

It works really well, I played my first game last fall at a wargaming con and although my side lost I had a great time.

One thing to note, bidding for Covert Foreign Aid is fucking awesome. Do you risk trying to get more stuff in exchange of yielding a VP to your opponents' alliance? Great stuff.

More
01 Jul 2012 01:27 #129693 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re: Angola Starting in July
What is the playing time per turn?

I know the game can last any where between 4 turns and 10 turns. I guess it potentially could last 1-3 turns but that seems pretty unlikily.

More
01 Jul 2012 07:55 - 01 Jul 2012 07:58 #129703 by Dr. Mabuse

KingPut wrote: What is the playing time per turn?

I know the game can last any where between 4 turns and 10 turns. I guess it potentially could last 1-3 turns but that seems pretty unlikily.

I think about half hour to forty-five minutes per turn, it could probably drop down with more plays.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2012 07:58 by Dr. Mabuse.

More
02 Jul 2012 02:23 #129748 by Dr. Mabuse
Any interest in getting a PBEM of this going?

More
02 Jul 2012 10:29 #129755 by KingPut

Dr. Mabuse wrote: Any interest in getting a PBEM of this going?

I'm ready to start a PBEM. I just haven't figured out the Vassal Mod. I can't even find the Column Markers yet. Any luck with the Vassal Mod?

More
02 Jul 2012 13:25 #129761 by JoelCFC25
Column markers are in the Infantry tab of each side's Pieces window. This module is pretty awful, it could use a ton of work--and I don't even know how the game is played.

More
02 Jul 2012 17:07 #129792 by Dr. Mabuse
I hadn't looked at the mod until now and there are a few issues I already see:

• none of the starting position markers are set-up on the board
• the "opaque cup" should already be populated with the city/town markers
• there's no player area/board to place your airgroups (open information) & initial city/town markers
• no area to place counters to simulate counter limits
• area for operation pack is buggy & you can't stack cards on top of each other

Bleh.

More
27 Jul 2012 08:55 #131433 by Schweig!
If I'm in, would that make 4 for PBEM?

I'm very eager to play the game, but I guess I won't be able to play IRL any time soon.

It would probably be best if I and KingPut were on the same team. ;)

More
27 Jul 2012 11:24 #131436 by KingPut
I saw version 1.1 is up. I'm not sure if it's any better then 1.0. I'll be at WBC from July 30 - Aug 5. We could start in about 10 days.

More
27 Jul 2012 14:23 #131450 by Dr. Mabuse

KingPut wrote: I saw version 1.1 is up. I'm not sure if it's any better then 1.0. I'll be at WBC from July 30 - Aug 5. We could start in about 10 days.

I swear it seems like the guy who created the mod a) never played the game and b) never really tested the VASSAL mod.

More
27 Jul 2012 18:08 #131493 by Gary Sax
I'll be back for good on August 5th. Let me know if the VASSAL mod is good enough to play, I'd be totally down for it. I'll also be restarting our GCACW campaign then, Kingput.

More
27 Jul 2012 18:11 #131495 by Dr. Mabuse
If it improves be prepared to kick some KingSchweigPut ass!

More
28 Jul 2012 02:24 #131530 by KingPut

Dr. Mabuse wrote: If it improves be prepared to kick some KingSchweigPut ass!

Dr.MabuseGarySax vs. KingSchweigPut sounds good. I have no preference for sides so I guess you can roll for sides.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds