October 09, 2023
2563 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2764 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Explain Your Avatar

More
03 Sep 2010 11:13 #73005 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
THE GOOD SOLDIER SVEJK is my favourite book and Svejk himself my role model. My avatar is taken from a still of a Czech marionette short film based on the novel(s):

I used this avatar on BGG along with my real name. But I already regretted this decision on that site so I decided to create a user ID. Schwejk is how Svejk is written in German, and Schweig! means Be Quiet! The words Schwejk and Schweig are homophones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2010 11:13 #73006 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Mine is the character of Al Swearengen from the TV show Deadwood. One of the best TV shows ever made ( surpassed perhaps only by The Wire ) that was ended too early unfortunately. Someone needs to make a game using the show as a theme.

More
03 Sep 2010 11:20 #73008 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Amazing book. A friend of mine (who spent the Vietnam War in Europe as a draft dodger) actually designed a game around Svejk.

Mine is a Writing Spider (Southern Orb Weaver). They are freaking huge spiders (4-6" leg to leg) that build reinforcement tracings in their webs that occasionally resemble writing. (But not to the extent that they "What a Pig" for Charlotte's Web fans.)

They are amazing engineers, and also seem to creep the hell out of people. Spider web and rose with thorn motifs are everywhere in our house if you look. I should probably get a web tattoo to match Sandi's bloody rose.

More
03 Sep 2010 11:33 #73010 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Hatchling wrote:

Mine's a photo of Tom Waits.

Maybe you can help me out here... I was listening to Franks Wild Years for the first time recently, and was struck by the familiarity of the song Cold Cold Ground. I could swear that I saw either a tv show or movie where they played this song while showing a montage of things happening to various characters without any dialogue. Or maybe I'm wrong. Great song, either way, I want this played at my wake after I die.

More
03 Sep 2010 11:42 #73012 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Sorry Shellhead, I'm drawing a blank on that.

More
03 Sep 2010 11:43 #73013 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
I was aiming as close as possible to hit, "adds no value whatsoever."

More
03 Sep 2010 11:48 #73014 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Awesome idea for a thread, Juniper. I love learning the story behind some of these. JonJ, I always though that was a weird picture of Michael Jackson for some reason. Loter, the mysterious nature of the object in your mouth is finally revealed! I always thought it was a spoon. I love how that little headshot is just the tip of the iceberg.

Our landlord knocked down an abandoned farmhouse on the property and now our barn is full of displaced writing spiders. They have filled the place up with thick-ass webs, and now I can't get to the chicken coop without feeling like I'm getting wrapped in cotton candy. I need to go in there and clean it all out, but I'm a little afraid that if they get displaced again they'll take up residence in our house, which is the only other structure within 200 yards. I had never seen spiders that big in real life outside of a zoo. I try not to get too creeped out, but I have a pretty negative visceral reaction to them.

Ironically enough, my avatar is The Spider, a pulp vigilante created to compete with The Shadow. I used this image as placeholder art for The Reaper, my game's answer to black-clad, dual-.45 wielding crimefighters. I chose it when I signed up here because it felt kinda Ameritrashy.

Here's the original cover:

More
03 Sep 2010 11:56 #73016 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
My avatar is Jared, Butcher of Song . An old OS 9 freeware application of a little smiling face singing a horrible, horrible song. Or rather, a singing a song horribly. Jared made his way to Windows, OS X (this pic is from that version), iPhone, &c.

I use it pretty much everywhere that requires a little picture avatar--it's small but somehow packs personality even at miniscule size. It also lets me port my jeb or jeblucas identity across the Entertrons. I would just be jeb everywhere, but some other jeb has been beating me to websites since 1996. I'm jeblucas almost everywhere else: BGG, avclub, gmail, yahoo, espn, and so on.

I'm very much in the same camp as Mattloter--my online personality is my personality. I can't imagine the kind of upkeep that goes into being me as well as xx_C0KTyGeR_xx.

If you just want a quick taste of Jared, enjoy his You The Man Now Dog page .

More
03 Sep 2010 12:03 #73018 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Hatchling wrote:

Sorry Shellhead, I'm drawing a blank on that.

I think I found it... the song was used in an episode of Homicide: Life on the Streets, in season 5. That sounds right.

More
03 Sep 2010 12:03 #73019 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Mine's just some old Trampier art from the Player's Handbook. It was going to be either this or one of his Cthulhu mythos drawing from Deities & Demigods (Shubby or Yog), but neither of those worked very well shrunken down as avatars.

Almalik was a character in an old Guy Gavriel Kay book that I've been using forever for everything online (I'm not bright enough to remember multiple user names for different sites).

More
03 Sep 2010 12:11 #73022 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Trampier ftw. I wrote a blog post about him back when I actually tried to maintain a blog.

More
03 Sep 2010 12:14 #73023 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
All this time I thought Lutes' avatar was shooting a tommy gun. It's remarkable what you insert into the photo with your mind when it's too small to show the details.

S.

More
03 Sep 2010 12:22 - 03 Sep 2010 12:23 #73024 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
The Testement of Doktor Mabuse is one of my favourite films. Initially my avatar at the Fort was based on the cover of the Criterion Collection edition, (which I still use on the Geek).

Since I feel more at home here I've changed my avatar to show myself. This was taken at our office Halloween party a couple of years ago.

File Attachment:
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Sep 2010 12:23 by Dr. Mabuse.

More
03 Sep 2010 12:24 - 03 Sep 2010 12:27 #73025 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Sagrilarus wrote:

All this time I thought Lutes' avatar was shooting a tommy gun. It's remarkable what you insert into the photo with your mind when it's too small to show the details.

S.

And here I was thinking all this time that you were a fan of St. Petersburg !

I just wanted something that said action and dice so I grabbed the marine commander off the box front off my Space Crusade ... plus wanted to see what a 'cease & desist' letter looked like.

(and maybe 15 years ago with a cropped haircut and a good grimace I could have come close to the pose ... or maybe not).
Last edit: 03 Sep 2010 12:27 by southernman.

More
03 Sep 2010 12:25 #73026 by SleightOfHand12
Mine's a painting by Mike Egan, a local Pittsburgh artist who deals in Day of the Dead-style portraits. ("Local" while I was still living in PA, that is.) "Prayer in the Night":

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds