October 09, 2023
2566 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2766 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Star Wars: Armada

More
11 Aug 2014 14:28 #184576 by Shellhead

VonTush wrote:

Shellhead wrote: This thread has me picturing a bunch of FAT:ties flopping around on the ground with fishhooks in their mouths.

Except that its of my own free will if I purchase and play or not. I'm not being duped into buying something different than what I think it is.

And in general...Every time I see a post belittling or just looking down on people trying to, you know, talk about games on a website focused on, you know, games gets me pretty sad.

It isn't always about you. Some people posted in this thread that they were likely to buy into Armada despite concerns spending the money. They are struggling and failing to resist temptation despite awareness of their own budget limitations. At the very least, they might want to try playing before buying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2014 14:30 - 11 Aug 2014 14:32 #184577 by Michael Barnes
Game companies exist to make money. If they make a product that people want to buy, they will do so. I want to buy this product because I like Star Wars and I like X-Wing. Not because FFG has somehow tricked me into buying it. I know exactly what it is, and what it costs.

The reality of it is that buying a core set and then buying extra miniatures a la carte is not ANY different than buying the AD&D box set...then the Players Handbook...then the Monster Manual...the DM's Handbook...class handbooks...the Dragonlance box set...Spelljammer box set...D&D miniatures...extra dice...revised Player's Handbook...modules upon modules upon modules...

Almost all RPGs are based on the same kind of "milking the cow" or "cash grab" concept. So let's not point fingers here.

Hate to break it, but serial purchases have ALWAYS been a HUGE part of hobby games. This is nothing new.

As for "struggling to resist temptation", this is something I want and I can afford it...not sure what is the statement there, Steve. No, I'm not going to try before I buy. If I buy and don't like, I'll flip it.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2014 14:32 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Aug 2014 14:53 #184580 by Gary Sax
Getting back to the game... the previous posters made me go look up the size of some of the bigger ships in the star wars universe relative to the models in that box. fuuuuuuuuuuuuck:

dirkloechel.deviantart.com/art/Size-Comp...Spaceships-398790051

That Star Destroyer in the starter (Victory II) is at the very top. In the middle. Most of the big ships in star wars almost unmodelable at this scale!!!

More
11 Aug 2014 14:54 #184581 by daveroswell
How much of the timing of this news release of Armada coming out has to do with GenCon and creating buzz? Curious as to what you guys think.

More
11 Aug 2014 14:57 #184582 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: FFG's Star Wars: Armada
Absolutely it is. There's a blub that says "Come play a demo at GenCon".
If I were going I'd be waiting in line likely.

It's listed as a Q1 2015 release though...I was hoping for a Christmas list item.

More
11 Aug 2014 17:33 #184601 by Hex Sinister
What do you guys think about the six turn endgame? That's the main thing that I might not like about the design that gives me pause.

More
11 Aug 2014 19:41 #184610 by VonTush
I hadn't thought about it until you asked, but my gut reaction doesn't mind it. Usually in XWing or Attack Wing the game for the most part is decided by turn six. So in a game where to annihilate a capital ship may be a long drawn out affair, a turn limit is welcome. If it doesn't feel right, push it out or ignore it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
12 Aug 2014 03:42 #184631 by Hex Sinister
That might be an easy fix or it could also make the game wonky or unbalanced. Gonna have to wait and see I guess.
Six action rounds just doesn't seem quite epic unless there is a vast amount of shit going on. Very curious to see what the default fleet point values will be.

More
12 Aug 2014 08:21 #184640 by VonTush
I am as well because that's going to answer the question of "how much game" is in the game.
If it is 100 pts, then I think the Star Destroyer in the 80's if I'm reading the blurry thing right. And the Corvette is 44 I think. So if we assume around 40 give or take 5 we'd be at 100 pts in the box with a few upgrades.

There's finally a game that is going to give me reason to keep close to the internet and news coming out of GenCon. Nothing else really had me excited.

More
12 Aug 2014 09:13 #184641 by luckyb0y
Six turns is quite standard for a igo ugo miniatures game. How many turns in an average game of X-Wing?

More
12 Aug 2014 09:40 #184646 by VonTush
Nothing is set as a standard, but I'd argue that more often than not the bulk of a normal game is played in the first six turns. After those six turns of engagement the turns go a lot quicker as the stragglers are picked of.

One thing about the time limit is that it may be there to make sure people engage and move quick...Don't try to engage and just milk points by plinking with fighters or milk points from objective cards. Make sure those capital ships get into the thick of it all.

More
12 Aug 2014 09:40 #184647 by charlest

luckyb0y wrote: Six turns is quite standard for a igo ugo miniatures game. How many turns in an average game of X-Wing?

6 is probably the average. Some can go a little longer, some can only go 4 or 5 if you play horribly.

More
12 Aug 2014 15:25 #184716 by Sagrilarus
Your X-Wing games go much more than six? This last game I played went about six turns and it was plenty long. Each turn in X-Wing has about 30 actions between all the players, and if this is anything similar (and likely more) that will be more than enough.

S.

More
12 Aug 2014 15:45 #184720 by charlest

Sagrilarus wrote: Your X-Wing games go much more than six? This last game I played went about six turns and it was plenty long. Each turn in X-Wing has about 30 actions between all the players, and if this is anything similar (and likely more) that will be more than enough.

S.

Yes, I've occasionally gone 7-9 due to someone making a break to regroup when down to one or two fighters.

Epic games can take a bit longer too depending on what happens.

More
12 Aug 2014 20:36 #184747 by VonTush
I think a lot of my games go past six turns - But usually by turn six 75% of both fleets are often destroyed or close to being destroyed. It's just when you're down to a fighter per side engaged in a dogfight, those turns go quick. I've blown through five turns in five minutes.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.477 seconds