October 09, 2023
2749 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2899 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Star Wars: Armada

More
22 Sep 2016 13:35 #234777 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
Still, the Victory is probably my least favorite ship because it is so slow. It can't really even turn; I think the card (nav team? Nav officer?) that lets you turn any given command into a move command is vital on it because otherwise you can easily get into a spot where you can barely even turn if you queue up another order.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2016 13:47 #234783 by SuperflyPete
I hate the fact that it can't go 3/4 speed. That's lame as fuck.

Spaceship with big ass butthole rockets can't go faster than X because WHY?

#PhysicsMuhvuggah

More
22 Sep 2016 13:57 - 22 Sep 2016 13:58 #234784 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
So, is it worthwhile getting a 2nd victory? It's the last piece of armada stuff sitting on Hastings shelf. I did play a couple games, and I am planning on getting some wave 2 stuff.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2016 13:58 by lj1983.

More
22 Sep 2016 14:28 #234786 by Gary Sax
It's worth it if it's cheap, yeah. I think the wave 2 stuff is more vital if I had to choose, though.

More
06 Oct 2016 07:50 - 06 Oct 2016 07:50 #235614 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
I haven't used this (or got into Armada yet with other projects going on- MC90 and Imp Raider still in the boxes, sheesh) but I'm fascinated by the idea:

www.digital-game-aides.com/armada.html

It's an AI for Armada.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 07:50 by JEM.

More
06 Oct 2016 14:15 #235675 by Gary Sax
Ah, you're making me want to play Armada again! Had an Eldritch Horror detour at home for a week or two.

More
12 Oct 2016 17:26 - 12 Oct 2016 17:29 #236022 by Gary Sax
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/...aying-the-long-game/

I admit to myself I won't play a campaign. So I gave up and took it off my wishlist. But it does look really cool. So basically if you lose a ship twice, all its upgrades are gone from the game. This is almost worth it one its own---it actually sort of captures some of the house rules people way earlier in this thread talked about:

"Ships and squadrons become scarred if they're destroyed in battle. A scarred ship is then marked by a scar token and must discard one of its defense tokens before the start of a battle. Likewise, a scarred squadron must suffer one damage before the battle begins. If a scarred ship or squadron is destroyed in battle, it is then eliminated from its controller's fleet, along with any upgrades that were on it, and those cards may not be purchased again.

This is particularly notable given the fact that all the game's unique cards are unique to an entire team, not just within a single fleet. This means, if one of your teammates is running Darth Vader as her commander, you cannot run Darth Vader at the head of his elite TIE Advanced Squadron. And just as unique cards are unique to the team, they are unique in time; if Darth Vader's squadron shoots down a scarred Jan Ors, Jan Ors is removed from the campaign entirely, never to return.

For this reason, you may even consider targeting powerful ships like the Demolisher just to remove them, prioritizing them even higher than the battle itself. Boba Fett, Major Rhymer, the Mon Karren, the Interdictor, Han Solo, and Grand Moff Tarkin's flagship—they may all find hefty prices on their heads. And if they're removed, you'll need to adapt your fleet and your strategy to accommodate for their absence."
Last edit: 12 Oct 2016 17:29 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, JEM

More
12 Oct 2016 23:52 #236045 by SuperflyPete
Armada has ended up on my Forever Shelf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, JEM

More
25 Mar 2017 10:40 - 25 Mar 2017 10:41 #245602 by Gary Sax
Just had a very interesting conversation with Malloc on Facebook, he's been playing the campaign with that Correllian box. He says it's great for new players in particular, which I found very interesting. In your initial fleet building you can only pick a single upgrade card for each ship, and then you fight with that fleet going forward. That would be perfect for my opponent, so I think I'm going to pick this up with my next Armada order.

I wasn't going to buy the campaign because I figured it'd be terrible for new players and need very experienced hands.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2017 10:41 by Gary Sax.

More
25 Mar 2017 14:15 #245605 by Hex Sinister
Cool. Let us know what you think.

I've been broke assed so I'm like 2+ waves behind... Did get a game in a month or so back though. Always a good time!

More
25 Mar 2017 14:25 #245608 by Gary Sax
Me too. I haven't gotten the rebels wave either.

More
27 Mar 2017 04:11 #245650 by Matt Thrower

Gary Sax wrote: Just had a very interesting conversation with Malloc on Facebook, he's been playing the campaign with that Correllian box. He says it's great for new players in particular, which I found very interesting. In your initial fleet building you can only pick a single upgrade card for each ship, and then you fight with that fleet going forward. That would be perfect for my opponent, so I think I'm going to pick this up with my next Armada order.

Never mind just new players: that sort of rule would be a boon any time you want to fight a quick battle. Might have to pick this up: be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Both X-Wing and Armada would benefit from upgrade limits, at least as an official optional rule IMO: the games are drowning in them.And yes, of course I can just house rule it but it can be difficult to get opponents to agree unless it's from the publisher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Sep 2017 19:15 #254674 by Gary Sax
I ordered wave 5 and 6... hammerheads look cool but I'm also excited for the Rebels ships. Need a local opponent, though.

Also, now I have enough stuff that my old storage solutions are too small (base game box and long wooden mtg deck box). What are you guys using?

More
24 Sep 2017 15:26 #254717 by Matt Thrower

Gary Sax wrote: I ordered wave 5 and 6... hammerheads look cool but I'm also excited for the Rebels ships. Need a local opponent, though.

Also, now I have enough stuff that my old storage solutions are too small (base game box and long wooden mtg deck box). What are you guys using?

fortressat.com/articles-up-your-game/5706-foam-fetish

More
24 Sep 2017 17:15 #254719 by Hex Sinister

Gary Sax wrote: Also, now I have enough stuff that my old storage solutions are too small (base game box and long wooden mtg deck box). What are you guys using?

I meant to post pics aeons ago but never got around to it.

Stanley Click 'n Connect STST19900

Seems like the price went up about $6. These are widely available and are pretty efficient. I did need to buy a second bottom section because I ran out of squadron space. But that's the beauty of them, being expandable.

The top flip panels can hold all the dials and dice as well as some tokens. The big upper case center section can store 3 VSDs on the base standing up without breaking the antennae as well as rebel assault cruisers (whales). Sides hold big ships, ISD and Home Ones. Measuring sticks go here as well.

Smaller cases hold everything else, small ships, bases, cards etc. You can fit squadrons in upright without wasting space. Only the Slave One is a teensy bit too tall and has to lie down. Early waves at least, don't have new squadrons yet but I'm sure they're fine.

I don't have problems with scratching paint or damage with this or X-Wing so I don't worry about foam. To me, it's an expensive hassle. Of course, I don't suggest going 4-wheeling while your minis are in the trunk. I will try again to post pics later after the stressful week is over.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds