October 09, 2023
2642 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2830 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

What do you think of flu shots?

More
24 Mar 2012 07:35 #120421 by daveroswell
Today I got a battery of meds to deal with the horrendous sinus infection I've had the past couple of days. My doctor was concerned at my high fever (102.5), so he gave me Tamiflu "just in case I have the flu". He did this even though he knew I have a sinus infection. I get everything, and the pharmacy screeches "DID YOU GET YOUR FLU SHOT?" I barked back that the last time I got a flu shot I was sick for TWO WEEKS (true story) and have not gotten one since. They didn't really have a response.

How many of you get a flu shot? Just curious.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2012 08:12 #120423 by ThirstyMan
British Medical Journal reported an analysis of 20 studies showed Tamiflu offered mild benefits in terms of duration of symptoms for healthy adults if taken within 24 hours of onset of symptoms, but found no clear evidence it prevented lower respiratory tract infections or other complications of influenza.

Tamiflu may still be a useful drug for reducing the duration of symptoms, although for this use it still has yet to be compared with NSAIDs or paracetamol.

A joint investigation by the British Medical Journal (BMJ) and British TV Channel 4 published in the BMJ on December 8, 2009, concluded that in otherwise healthy adults they "have no confidence in claims that Tamiflu reduces the risk of complications and hospital admission in people with influenza" and believe it should not be used in routine control of seasonal influenza.

Hope that lot helps. .....

More
24 Mar 2012 10:56 #120433 by Bullwinkle
I got my first flu shot two years ago, and got it again last year. I plan to continue getting it every year.

More
24 Mar 2012 11:21 #120435 by LilRed
Unless you are in one of the high risk categories, getting a flu shot seems useless.

More
24 Mar 2012 14:16 #120444 by SuperflyPete
I've gotten a flu shot for the last 15 years, maybe. I've gotten the flu ONCE. My kids get them, and only my oldest got it. And that was the first year she didn't get her shot.

Big fan of Flu shots. I get a little fever and feel a little shitty for a day, but it beats having hot liquids exiting my body from three orifaces simultaneously, while having chills. Fuck the flu.

More
24 Mar 2012 14:17 #120445 by QPCloudy
I haven't had a flu shot since I was a child. I rarely get sick, maybe two or three times in the last 10 years. Although, when I do get sick, it's like hell on Earth.

More
24 Mar 2012 14:22 #120446 by wadenels

QPCloudy wrote: I haven't had a flu shot since I was a child. I rarely get sick, maybe two or three times in the last 10 years. Although, when I do get sick, it's like hell on Earth.

I'm in a similar boat. I don't do flu shots. I also don't carry around hand sanitizer or worry dirty doorhandles and crap like that. I figure if my immune system is going to do it's job I'd better get it some experience. It seems like I used to get sick more often when I was younger and actually got the shots and going to the doctor regularly.

More
24 Mar 2012 14:28 #120448 by QPCloudy

wadenels wrote:

QPCloudy wrote: I haven't had a flu shot since I was a child. I rarely get sick, maybe two or three times in the last 10 years. Although, when I do get sick, it's like hell on Earth.

I'm in a similar boat. I don't do flu shots. I also don't carry around hand sanitizer or worry dirty doorhandles and crap like that. I figure if my immune system is going to do it's job I'd better get it some experience. It seems like I used to get sick more often when I was younger and actually got the shots and going to the doctor regularly.

Same here. My wife is a clean nut, which baffles me. Washes hands all the time, which it is good to wash, but you need to build immunities naturally, I think.

More
24 Mar 2012 14:30 #120449 by daveroswell
It seems to me I only get sick when I student teach.

Quite an experience having extreme abdominal cramps trying to wipe. If I thought a shot would help, I'd do it.

Curious again...does having kids have anything to do with you getting the shot?

More
24 Mar 2012 14:44 #120457 by dysjunct
The main argument for getting the flu shot isn't for yourself directly, but to increase herd immunity. Most of us here are, I'd imagine, not going to die from the flu, but we are often around people who are older or have compromised immune systems. Maybe if you never come into contact with an at-risk group then it doesn't matter. I have a lot of old people who come into my work though, so I get it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, lj1983, SuperflyPete

More
24 Mar 2012 14:52 #120459 by SuperflyPete

daveroswell wrote: It seems to me I only get sick when I student teach.

Quite an experience having extreme abdominal cramps trying to wipe. If I thought a shot would help, I'd do it.

Curious again...does having kids have anything to do with you getting the shot?

I don't get sick, like ever. And when I do, it's generally a one-or-two day thing. My wife NEVER gets sick. Twice in 18 years she got sick to the point where she couldn't go to work.

BUT....

I send my eldest off to the equivalent of Fort Deitrick every day, and she's the kid who picks boogers and likes the smell of farts (and admits it). So I'm not trusting her ass, as much as I've trained her to, to wash her hands, do the right thing, and all that. So, if she brings home fucking swine flu, someone's going to need to take care of her, clean up her puke, and cook. If all of us are dog-sick, nobody is here to do this.

It's a matter of homeland security. My home, on My land, needs to be secure from the bio weapons my kid brings home.

More
24 Mar 2012 14:53 #120460 by Bullwinkle

wadenels wrote: I don't do flu shots. I also don't carry around hand sanitizer or worry dirty doorhandles and crap like that. I figure if my immune system is going to do it's job I'd better get it some experience.

Flu shots and hand sanitizers are different. The shot does give your immune system 'experience'. That's the whole point of it.

daveroswell wrote: It seems to me I only get sick when I student teach.

If you're working with kids, it's definitely a good idea. You're going to come into regular contact with pretty much every disease vector on the planet.

As dysjunct says, for those not at high-risk, shots are more of a convenience. But not feeling like total crap for a week is a pretty good convenience.

More
24 Mar 2012 15:17 #120463 by SaMoKo
Get mine every year.

Fun story, two years back I was apparently involved in a class action lawsuit targeting the government. They lost the USB flashdrive which contained the identity of all the people who got the shot for the swine flu. Not really sure what happened to the lawsuit, so I'm guessing it lost.

More
24 Mar 2012 15:23 #120464 by Bulwyf
Big fan of the flu shot. Both my kids and my wife are giant vectors because of school and work. (The wife is a pharmacist). That being said, we didn't get the flu shot for this season since it was exactly the same formulation as the year previous. Next season if the formulation changes we'll re up.

More
24 Mar 2012 15:29 #120465 by daveroswell

Bulwyf wrote: Big fan of the flu shot. Both my kids and my wife are giant vectors because of school and work. (The wife is a pharmacist). That being said, we didn't get the flu shot for this season since it was exactly the same formulation as the year previous. Next season if the formulation changes we'll re up.

How would the normal consumer be privy to a flu shot being exactly the same two years in a row?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.429 seconds