October 09, 2023
2667 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2844 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Conan Remake

More
03 Mar 2010 15:29 #56929 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:Conan Remake
My favorites from that list are Excalibur, Dragonslayer, and Legend

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2010 15:31 #56930 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Re:Conan Remake
Would She be appropriate for the list above? Haven't seen it in years but I loved it as a youngster. Post-apocolyptic mayhem with plenty of fantastical elements thrown in for good measure.

More
03 Mar 2010 15:49 #56931 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:Conan Remake
Michael Barnes wrote:

Where is IRONMASTER? How about BARBARIAN QUEEN? No love for HAWK THE SLAYER or ATOR THE FIGHTING EAGLE? I can't help but notice that YOR, THE HUNTER FROM THE FUTURE is also missing, as well as BARBARIANS, directed by Ruggero "CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST" Deodato. And CONQUEST, directed by Lucio Fulci.

I validated that with "Then it gets gross at this point."

...plus you forgot Deathstalker, The Warrior and the Sorceress

More
03 Mar 2010 22:11 - 03 Mar 2010 22:13 #56973 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:Conan Remake
Man, Hawk the Slayer. THE fantasy movie of my youth. Picked up a DVD copy a few years back. I was actually surprised this made the DVD cut, but thankful it did as my bootlegged VHS tape was done.

A rapid fire elf, a whip wielding dwarf, a one-armed soldier (w/ auto crossbow!), a witch, a 'giant', a hunchback, and Palance hamming it up like never before. Besides the mannequin they cast as Hawk, this film had everything a fantasy role-player could ask for in the early 80's. Great, quotable lines too!

I still choose to watch this 1 1/2 hour adventure over the 12hrs of LotR collecting dust under my DVD player. Not claiming it's better, but a hell of a lot of fun. I wrote at length in a WFRP forum a few years back how this was the closest to a WFRP film we have to date.

Barbarians... haven't thought of that one in a long time. DC Cab!

LadyHawke, I have yet to get past the first 20mins. That Alan Parson's soundtrack is simply too much for me. Jerks me right out of the film every time. Terrible.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2010 22:13 by Mr. White.

More
04 Mar 2010 05:03 #56982 by Turek
Replied by Turek on topic Re:Conan Remake
and Deathstalker II - funny as hell

More
04 Mar 2010 12:38 #56991 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re:Conan Remake
No love for Ferrigno's Hercules?

Seeing Clash of the Titans on this list makes me want to watch it again. Any word on whether the remake is going to be any good? Actually, think of CotT makes me want to dig out Harryhausen's Jason & the Argonauts and the two Sindbad movies.

Conan is a fond memory for me not only because its a great move but because I was 10 at the time and couldn't get in to see it (because of the R rating) so my Dad took me.

More
04 Mar 2010 13:24 #56997 by ZMan
Replied by ZMan on topic Re:Conan Remake
Hawk the Slayer - awesome. I love that rapid fire Elf.

Yor and Ator - I always confused the two. I think there was also one called Barbarian Twins or something like that.

Sword and the Sorcerer - it was a tri-bladed sword and yes, you did forget the rocket fired middle blade! What is sad is at the end of the credits they said Talon would return (he's the main guy and had a leather glove like thing on his hand cause I believe he had some fingers cut off.

Ah memories.
Zev

More
04 Mar 2010 14:02 #56999 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Conan Remake
Wrong Zev, wrong! Talon' sword had three blades that yes, did fire off. But remember, he fired all three off, and then there was a hidden dagger in the hilt- _four_ blades!

The Harryhausen pictures stand as some of the best fantasy pictures ever made. GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD is awesome. Even CLASH OF THE TITANS is great- definitely a key film of my childhood. JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS is actually my least favorite of those films, barring the skeleton sequence.

Remake...I dunno, it actually looks fun a a big monster movie. My gut instinct is to shut it down without giving it a chance since there are no Harryhausen stop-motion creatures in it, but I'll give it the benefit of a doubt.

More
04 Mar 2010 14:39 #57006 by ZMan
Replied by ZMan on topic Re:Conan Remake
Michael Barnes wrote:

Wrong Zev, wrong! Talon' sword had three blades that yes, did fire off. But remember, he fired all three off, and then there was a hidden dagger in the hilt- _four_ blades!

***You know, I think you are right.

The Harryhausen pictures stand as some of the best fantasy pictures ever made. GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD is awesome. Even CLASH OF THE TITANS is great- definitely a key film of my childhood. JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS is actually my least favorite of those films, barring the skeleton sequence.

******Golden Voyage is my favorite as well but I have to give props to Jason because of the skeletons. Clash is my least favorite except for the Medusa and Kraken characters: I really hated the scorpions. And overall I was not impressed with the action, acting and story. Any film with Harryhausen's work I will watch as he was an amazing talent. Fifty Million Miles to Earth, 20,000 Miles Beneath the Sea, and more (and for stop motion fans check out Flesh [sic] Gordon - some wild stuff there - no it was not Harryhausen).

I did meet Harryhausen at a con once: lovely man.

Remake...I dunno, it actually looks fun a a big monster movie. My gut instinct is to shut it down without giving it a chance since there are no Harryhausen stop-motion creatures in it, but I'll give it the benefit of a doubt.

***I'll watch the new Clash for sure.

Zev

More
04 Mar 2010 15:18 #57012 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Conan Remake
The new Clash just looks too rock 'n' roll. Perseus has a badass attitude, fights against the will of the gods and flies through the air while brandishing his sword. Lame. Also the kraken looks like just any other modern movie monster. Like they are ripping off "Cloverfield" and the thing from "Star Trek."

More
04 Mar 2010 16:23 #57021 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re:Conan Remake
I watched the old Clash recently. The biggest problem with it is that it was an 81 film that looked like it was made in 51.

More
04 Mar 2010 17:28 #57029 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Conan Remake
Columbob wrote:

I watched the old Clash recently. The biggest problem with it is that it was an 81 film that looked like it was made in 51.

So true! As a kid I always assumed it was from the 60s. I think it mainly had to do with how dated the title screen looked. And the slow pacing.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds