October 09, 2023
2524 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2725 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Rank the Mad Max Films

More
17 Aug 2016 08:22 #232232 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Rank the Mad Max Films
I've only seen Fury Road, which I liked a lot. I should probably get around to seeing at least The Road Warrior at some point.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2016 12:38 #232269 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Rank the Mad Max Films

Legomancer wrote: I've only seen Fury Road, which I liked a lot. I should probably get around to seeing at least The Road Warrior at some point.

What the fuck dude.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
17 Aug 2016 13:16 #232271 by san il defanso

jeb wrote:

Legomancer wrote: I've only seen Fury Road, which I liked a lot. I should probably get around to seeing at least The Road Warrior at some point.

What the fuck dude.

Fury Road was the first one I saw, so don't be too hard on him. I really love the series, but it's not quite as ubiquitous as a lot of other franchises, so there's less chance of hitting them unintentionally.

Speaking of which, earlier this year both Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome were on Hulu. I went last night to find them, but they were gone. I could have watched Fury Road for the tenth time or so, but I thought better of it. I'm not sure why now.

More
17 Aug 2016 16:00 #232281 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Rank the Mad Max Films

jeb wrote:

What the fuck dude.

In my younger days I tried to watch Mad Max. That movie starts with like 15 hours of nothing happening and people talking unintelligibly. I clocked out. So I wasn't much eager to see the Road Warrior when it came out, being that I didn't think much of the first one. I could a lot of Thunderdome on HBO, but people seemed to not like it and I never sat down and watched the whole thing.

As I said, I should try out The Road Warrior. But even though I really liked Fury Road, I don't know that I need more of it.

More
17 Aug 2016 16:12 #232282 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Rank the Mad Max Films
Mad Max starts with an epic car chase and the director's camper getting exploded. The second act is pretty low key, for sure.

More
17 Aug 2016 19:51 #232292 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Rank the Mad Max Films

/same

i just rewatched 5-10 minutes of Fury Road today. holy chrome is that movie ever incredible

More
17 Aug 2016 19:59 #232293 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Legomancer wrote: In my younger days I tried to watch Mad Max. That movie starts with like 15 hours of nothing happening and people talking unintelligibly. I clocked out. So I wasn't much eager to see the Road Warrior when it came out, being that I didn't think much of the first one. I could a lot of Thunderdome on HBO, but people seemed to not like it and I never sat down and watched the whole thing.

As I said, I should try out The Road Warrior. But even though I really liked Fury Road, I don't know that I need more of it.

The original Mad Max is very different from the other 3. The first and last 15 minutes are the same high octane action, but there is an hour in the middle that is a slow burn that is completely different in tone (Max just trying to live a standard day to day life while gangs terrorize people).

More
17 Aug 2016 21:31 #232302 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Rank the Mad Max Films
1. Fury Road
2. Road Warrior
3. Mad Max
4. Thunderdome (gets lowest marks because I can't remember watching the whole thing in one sitting, always in bits and pieces on TV as a kid)

More
17 Aug 2016 22:26 #232304 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Rank the Mad Max Films
The first Mad Max movie is an old-fashioned horror movie, only the monster is the biker gang.

More
17 Aug 2016 23:39 #232307 by John Myers
Replied by John Myers on topic Rank the Mad Max Films
My issue with Thunderdrome has always been that Mad Max and the Road Warrior combined tell such a complete story that it never feels necessary.

Mad Max is the story of Max's struggle and failure to hold on to his humanity. The Road Warrior tell us how he manages to get just a little bit of his humanity back.

And Thunderdrome doesn't really add anything new to the story the way Fury Road does, which is less a movie about Max than it is a movie set in the same world, that happens to include some bits with the guy from the other three movies.

More
18 Aug 2016 00:10 #232308 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Rank the Mad Max Films
In Fury Road, did we ever find out the deal with the flashbacks of the little girl?

Didn't he have a son? And wasn't that son much younger?

More
18 Aug 2016 01:32 - 18 Aug 2016 01:34 #232310 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Mr. White wrote: In Fury Road, did we ever find out the deal with the flashbacks of the little girl?

There is a story for it presented in another medium somewhere (maybe a comic?). She is a girl he met after the Thunderdome. His son is very young in the first film.

EDIT: It was in a comic: madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Glory_the_Child
Last edit: 18 Aug 2016 01:34 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
18 Aug 2016 03:00 - 18 Aug 2016 03:03 #232311 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Rank the Mad Max Films
4 films enter, one film leaves.

I love thunderdome. And mirror mr. Whites ranking.

Also, the first film is garbage. What a snoozefest.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2016 03:03 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
18 Aug 2016 07:55 #232315 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Rank the Mad Max Films
A good discussion of Road Warrior vs. Fury Road

More
18 Aug 2016 09:07 #232321 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Rank the Mad Max Films

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

Mr. White wrote: In Fury Road, did we ever find out the deal with the flashbacks of the little girl?

There is a story for it presented in another medium somewhere (maybe a comic?). She is a girl he met after the Thunderdome. His son is very young in the first film.

EDIT: It was in a comic: madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Glory_the_Child

Huh. So there's some comic out there that's canon that we should have known about?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds