October 09, 2023
2584 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2781 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
27 Oct 2017 00:50 #256452 by Not Sure
Resumed the paperclips because I was plugged in at home. I made all the paperclips.

Warning: Spoiler!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2017 07:21 - 27 Oct 2017 07:23 #256453 by JEM
There was a satisfying finality to the last number.
Last edit: 27 Oct 2017 07:23 by JEM.

More
29 Oct 2017 16:17 #256553 by dysjunct
Got sucked into Universal Paperclips. Beat it in 7 hours. Yikes. An amazingly creative game for such a dumb idea.

Playing a ton of online TTA. I doubt I’ll ever play the physical version ever again. My group has played about a dozen games of the 2nd edition and I think we’ve gotten rules wrong every time. This removes that and drastically speeds things up. A fantastic adaptation.

More
30 Oct 2017 09:45 #256576 by Egg Shen
Playing Super Mario Odyssey. Such a wonderful game. It's probably my favorite Mario game since Super Mario World. The entire thing feels like a opium laced fever dream of completely insane ideas and I find that to be completely refreshing. The game is also often hilarious and I've found myself giggling like an idiot while playing. The sense of wonder and being surprised at what I'll see next is very compelling. Another, big win for Nintendo this year!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
31 Oct 2017 14:43 - 31 Oct 2017 14:44 #256716 by hotseatgames
Just over an hour into Resident Evil 4. While it controls better than the older RE titles, it is still clunky. That said, the game is neat so far, and I'm glad they ditched the ink ribbon requirement to save.

I also unlocked Rabbid Mario in Mario + Rabbids. He is an ass kicker! Will I ever get to expand my crew to 4 units?
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 14:44 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
31 Oct 2017 17:50 #256731 by Black Barney
Yeah RE4 ditching the ink ribbons really removes the survival element of survival horror. You can still get ammo starved so be careful.

The stick and move clunky elements really adds to the scare factor though. If you could move and shoot at the same time , it would be way too much of an action game . Glad u like it so far, keep posting updates please
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
01 Nov 2017 02:03 #256748 by birdman37
XCOM: Enemy Unknown. It's waaaaay past time I made this a part of my life, so I took advantage of the recent Steam "Spooky Halloween" sale and picked it up.

I've been really enjoying it so far. Laying plenty of smoke and using Overwatch. Doing OK on the tactical missions, however I think I'm really stuffing up on the strategy layer. I've been too distracted trying to get cool toys and upgrades for my soldiers, and only now do I realise that I should have been focussing on Satellites. China has already exited the XCOM program due to panic levels, there's lots more countries on 4 bars, and I'm still a decent number of days away from launching additional satellites.

I probably should call it, chalk it up to a rookie error, reset and start again, but I've grown really attached to my dudes and their cool toys! Dammit...
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, lj1983, hotseatgames, Rafael Silva

More
01 Nov 2017 12:15 #256787 by lj1983
there's a mid-game mission, assaulting an alien base I think? that drops panic worldwide, which could give you a breather. or do the right thing and just struggle valiantly until the end. XCOM2 assumes you lost, so it would be canon at least.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, birdman37

More
01 Nov 2017 18:45 #256822 by Colorcrayons
I was recently gifted a Wii. And a copy if Godzilla Unleashed, among a few other fun titles.

Its quite a fun game and I think the reviews I've seen have panned it a bit sadistically. While I vastly prefer tighter controls of a PlayStation controller or whatnot instead of motion, it still functions admirably and is still fun as all hell.

Quite nearly the best Godzilla game made, but the drawbacks of the Wii controls allow game cubes destroy all monsters or ps2s save the earth to be better games overall.

But the Wii version sure is pretty, and sounds great with an awesome amount of kaiju to select from. I really enjoy being able to tailor the game prior to playing such as play time, how objects are found and how many. Good good stuff. So close to numbah Juan.

I'm a bit saddened its taken me until last year to finally play decent Godzilla games, as I sure could have used them before now. But I'm glad I get to experience them finally. Imbalanced but still fun romps. So trashy.

I'm still leery about spending anytime with Godzilla on the ps4 though. But if I find one next to nothing I'll give it a shot.

More
01 Nov 2017 22:23 #256831 by hotseatgames
I'm 3 hours into Resident Evil 4 and I'm hooked. It's great. Barney- do I need to bother with selling all of the treasures I find in order to buy weapons, etc.? Will there come a time when I suddenly need a ton of money and I'll wish I had kept them all?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
01 Nov 2017 22:41 #256833 by Black Barney
Yay!

You can sell all treasure except the ones you combine into each other to make much more valuable treasures (elegant mask with gems, butterfly lamp with shards, crown with other crown pieces...)

You’ll often want to have more money but you can sell stuff anytime and hoard cash for later, that’s totally fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
02 Nov 2017 23:28 #256892 by hotseatgames
Just played The Red Stare on my Vive. It's free and contains 2 cases. It takes place in the (50's?) I'm guessing, and your goal is to identify communist sympathizers. I did the first one; you are an operative based in an apartment, and across the street you can see another apartment building, known to contain patriots, sympathizers, informants, and a spy. You have a camera and a fax machine (technology is fudged), and through a process of elimination, your goal is to determine who is on what side, and ultimately who the Russian spy is. It was really fun, and a cool use of VR. You also get to smoke virtual cigarettes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
06 Nov 2017 10:20 #257109 by RobertB
Back in the Board Games thread, I saw where Mr. Barnes had sprung for the PC/iOS/Android version of Terra Mystica. At the local game club a couple of years ago, that game was about as popular as Terraforming Mars is now - three games going on at once, etc. I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket, so I bought it on Steam. Barnes isn't wrong - it's a giant blob of moving parts. I'm treating it as more of a puzzle than a game - I get to figure out the rules and the strategy simultaneously. It's kicking my ass on easy mode at the moment.

Then the spousal unit made the mistake of leaving me home to watch the dog while she went out of town. So I bought Destiny 2. Again, flailing around. It looks good, and so far it been 'kill shit, get loot'. However, I'm only at level 7, and I know next to nothing about the game right now.

More
06 Nov 2017 11:30 #257113 by jeb
@RobertB: For D2, focus on public event participation and Strikes, once available. Bite-sized entertainments, low stakes, and nice loot. In D1, Strikes were like throwing around before a baseball game. Loosens you up, develops you a little, just comfortable time. Public events can get nuts, so hope there are are buff folks around. One day, you'l be the buff folks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
06 Nov 2017 12:20 - 06 Nov 2017 12:21 #257117 by Black Barney
nono, he's only level 7 so he should 100% focus on Story. Once he's finished story, he's gets auto-risen to 20. The he should concentrate on milestones.

also, that sounds like a much more fun way of playing Terra Mystica. I still have an UNPLAYED version at home. i probably need to get the digital version to learn it.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2017 12:21 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.553 seconds