October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing?

More
06 Apr 2012 13:13 #121950 by hotseatgames
I've played one round of Nightfall with my girlfriend so far. We skipped the tutorial so parts of the interface were a mystery, but overall I like it and will probably come to love it with more play. I hope the AI puts up a good fight since I think it will be essential; I don't think Nightfall is overly exciting with 2 players.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2012 14:54 #121980 by ioticus
I've only played Nightfall (never played before) several times vs one level 3 AI so far, but I'm finding it pretty easy to beat by just picking 2 good cards that chain well together and spamming those. Hopefully they'll continue to improve the AI.

More
06 Apr 2012 15:00 #121981 by TheDukester
Utterly, completely, thoroughly, and terminally lost with Nightfall.

The tutorial is pretty to look at, but provides zero context for what is happening. The rules are mostly an exercising in practicing my swiping skills.

Giving up and deleting. Back to Elder Sign.

More
06 Apr 2012 15:00 #121982 by benny lava
This morning I "S-ranked" Jetpack Joyride when I finally got the oh-so-elusive Germaphobe achievement. Man did that feel good.

I've also been messing around with the new Hero Academy army, The Tribe. At first glance you think, "Orcs? What's the big deal?", but they play really differently than the other 3 armies. This is a great game to play while you're waiting for the Summoner Wars app to get published.

Picked up Nightfall but haven't played it yet. Gotta get my false confidence up with the tutorial and low-level AI before I let you F:ATties make me your prison bitch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
06 Apr 2012 15:03 #121984 by ioticus
The in game help and tutorial for Nightfall are inadequate for learning the game. I think the best way to learn it is to download and read the complete rules for the physical card game.

More
06 Apr 2012 15:11 #121988 by TheDukester

benny lava wrote: I've also been messing around with the new Hero Academy army, The Tribe. At first glance you think, "Orcs? What's the big deal?", but they play really differently than the other 3 armies. This is a great game to play while you're waiting for the Summoner Wars app to get published.

I've punted on HA, too.

It's well-designed and fun to look at, no doubt. But it suffers from the same problem that many Igo-Hugo games do: smart players are simply memorizing the total range (movement plus actual range) of their forces and the other guys' forces, then just hanging back and waiting for a mistake. There's rarely any incentive to move too far forward; it's far simpler to hope that the other guy gets too close to the net.

It's the same reason I'll probably be passing on the new $500 version of Ogre. I memorized those total ranges when I was 16 ... and found that I rarely played it after that.

More
06 Apr 2012 15:14 #121989 by TheDukester
And now to add something positive ...

I'm blown away by some of the games that are adding retina support for the iPad(3). Carcassonne, for instance. You know how it uses the whole "embroidery" theme as part of its look-and-feel? Well, after the update, you can pick out individual stitches in the pattern. It's insane, in a good way.

Ticket to Ride HD looks fantastic, too. Now we just need Playdek to update Ascension. Once they do that, you'll be able to clearly read every word on every card with no squinting.

More
06 Apr 2012 16:53 #122007 by Michael Barnes
Nightfall is awesome. I can't speak for the tutorial because I didn't do it and I also didn't read the rulebook. Coming into it and knowing how to play already, that didn't really matter.

But everything about is AAA-class, all the way. AI puts up a fight on 2, is actually pretty tough on 3.

More
06 Apr 2012 17:01 #122009 by TheDukester

Michael Barnes wrote: Coming into it and knowing how to play already, that didn't really matter.

And there's the dividing line, just like with Titan HD. If you've played before, you're golden; if you haven't, it's pretty hopeless. The tutorial is, frankly, almost an anti-teaching tool.

Everything I'm seeing at BGG, Touch Arcade, etc., is bearing this out. There's a very clear line between veterans and newcomers. And most of the newcomers think they've wasted $5.

More
06 Apr 2012 17:07 #122012 by Bulwyf
Not so much a what iOS game have you been playing post, but rather a what iOS game is on your radar post. WotC just announced that the 2013 Duel of the Planeswalkers game will be available on iPad. I played the 2012 version on steam and enjoyed the hell out of it. I hope this leads to more MtG on the iOS. Maybe even MtG:Online. Here's a link to the official announcement.

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...mtg/daily/arcana/945

-Will

More
06 Apr 2012 17:18 #122014 by ioticus
It would be a real shame if we lose a lot of casual gamers in Nightfall because of the lack of good teaching tools. I hope the online community becomes as vibrant as Ascension's.

More
06 Apr 2012 17:33 #122018 by TheDukester

Bulwyf wrote: WotC just announced that the 2013 Duel of the Planeswalkers game will be available on iPad.

Woot! Nice catch there.

(And about damn time, WotC. Jesus wept ... )

More
06 Apr 2012 18:16 - 06 Apr 2012 18:17 #122028 by metalface13
Just got my butt handed to me in my first game against the AI in Nightfall. I definitely have no idea what I'm doing strategy wise. As for the tutorial and rule book, I know what's going on, just hard to keep up with what's going on. And strategy.

Titan HD has been fun, finally one on quick play setting for the first time a little while ago. This'll be fun when asynch comes out. And if you guys thought I was an easy target in Ascension, just wait to see how lousy I am at Titan!

I've been picking up Football Manager 2012 Handheld some more after the January transfer update came out and I've been nosing around fmhvibe.co.uk for strategy and tactics tips. Enjoying success with Arsenal so far, we'll see how it goes.

Out of the Park Baseball is out for iOS too. Never played the PC game, but after how much I've enjoyed Football Manager I'd be willing to check out another sports management game.

Nice to see Duels of the Planeswalkers coming out. Will it have asynch? I'd be more likely to play on iPad as my xbox has essentially turned into a Netflix machine.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2012 18:17 by metalface13.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aerodynamics

More
07 Apr 2012 18:12 #122122 by aerodynamics

metalface13 wrote: Out of the Park Baseball is out for iOS too. Never played the PC game, but after how much I've enjoyed Football Manager I'd be willing to check out another sports management game.

Thanks for the heads up on OotP Baseball for iOS. I'm a Strat-O-Matic fanatic, but until they adapt their game for the iPad, this may fill the bill.

I was looking for a card game with a bit more depth than Ascension, so I downloaded Nightfall yesterday. Ran through the tutorial and my head pretty much exploded. I devoted ten years of my life to Advanced Squad Leader, so I know I can figure this little card game out though. Next step is to read the actual game rules and start to get my head wrapped around it.

More
07 Apr 2012 18:48 #122124 by Ochobee
I found one of the best ways to get a handle on what is happening in the iOS Nightfall app is to go into the options screen and set the game speed to slow. It isn't that much slower but it goes at a pace that allows you to see what the AI players are doing as well as how their turn plays out in the interface.

That helped a ton and really helped showcase how much information Playdek managed to cram into a small space.

This is a fantastic app.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aerodynamics

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.736 seconds