October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2747 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Board Game have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
29 Mar 2014 00:58 #174618 by Space Ghost

Michael Barnes wrote: +1 for this, +1 for that, +1 for every blah blah, -1 for this kind of damage, immune to this damage...yeesh. It's like Illuminati all over again.

If you are talking about Illuminati INWO, you need to shut your mouth
The topic has been locked.
More
29 Mar 2014 07:20 #174627 by Josh Look

Space Ghost wrote:

Josh Look wrote: Magic helps pays the bills these days for us, so I can't knock it for that alone, and since they send stuff to my wife, we play a little kitchen table Magic from time to time.

Cool...is she illustrating any of the cards or is it other art related to the game? If so, which ones?

She's got six cards coming out, only one of which I can talk about. She did the Vintage Masters Lion's Eye Diamond.
More
29 Mar 2014 08:01 #174628 by repoman
L2 continues to rock it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus
More
29 Mar 2014 11:07 #174637 by SuperflyPete
She does indeed. Girl can draw!

I played Rampage last night. What a fun, dumb little game. There's definitely decisions to be made and they're generally not totally obvious. That said, none of that matters. What matters is flicking, blowing, tossing, and dropping your monster all over the board.

It's just a lot of fun. Can't wait to play with 4.
More
29 Mar 2014 11:08 #174638 by Bull Nakano
Not a critique on the new art, but I love the old LED art.

Thursday I got in a game of Agricola, it was kind of funny, I had an early burst of resources due to how my cards were dealt but I didn't set myself up enough for the later rounds where harvests happen more often and had to scramble for food in the late game. I still managed to end up tying for 2nd, I still love the cards in this game a lot.

Friday I played a few games, first was The Resistance. This is one of my favourite games, but this is the first time we'd played in months, it just seems getting a group that's interested in playing it together has gotten tougher. We played base game with Merlin and assassin (we had 6, I don't get funkier than that until we hit 7), I was assassin, my spy bud didn't gain anyone's trust and I just became excluded from the teams so the good guys went on to win in 4. I missed on my assassination, and it was a Resistance victory. I miss this game.

Next was Medici. This was my first time playing it despite having played dozens of games on my phone. As such I stumbled a bit while explaining the rules and I own the hideous RGG 1st edition, so it was a shakey start, but after the first round the game was singing. This game does so much with so little, probably my favourite Knizia auction game.

After this a couple of folks split and we were left with 4, so we decided to play a game of Bohnanza to close out the night. I really enjoy this game and am constantly pushing the limits of what can be bartered with, some folks weren't comfortable with passing off of IOUs as commodities, oh well their loss, could have made a deal.
More
29 Mar 2014 13:33 #174652 by SuperflyPete
Out in Vegas I played Guildhall (already discussed) and think it's great. Want to make all new decks in Artscow with a different theme, though.

Played Catacombs as well. I really studied the art - it's pretty awful, especially the boards. That said, it's still better than the "Cartoon Network Reject Art" (Jim's words) from the new Kickstarter. I did learn that the new boards are substantially larger, which I think would be good.

Last Vegas game was an import game called "Kings and Assassins". Really fun, sort of abstract game. Only luck is the order of the cards drawn. The game has one side with a king and 7 (9?) guards with the other side having maybe 11 villagers. 3 of them are assassins, but only the villager side knows who they are; that player chooses them. It's a cat-and mouse game, with a race aspect. The object is to get the king to the castle before the cards run out, where the other side is trying to kill the king. It's an action-point based game and the cards tell players how many AP they have during a round. The king player can only make arrests (remove villagers) 5 of the 11 or 12 rounds, but can always kill revealed assassins. All in all, a fast, 2 player, really fun little game. I won twice, but I'm much more of a miniatures gamer than Jim so I think I'm a lot more comfortable with these kinds of concepts. Still, we both had a lot of fun.

Played a lot of Stone Age of late. Like it better on iPad because of the scoring, and I have to admit that the smelly cup really does smell like asshole. I think I'm going to put some shoe polish on it or something to kill the ballsack sweat odor. Still, love it.

Also played some Catan and Lords of Waterdeep. Really love them both.
More
30 Mar 2014 14:18 #174692 by mads b.
There's this guy in Copenhagen who's aiming to start a board game café. So far he hasn't quite found the right location, so in the meantime he hosts pop up board game cafés and usually have around 300 people or more to visit during an entire day of coffee, beer and board games. I went there this saturday and got some games in.

First and foremost I played my own prototype - Cults Of Arkham - in order to make the final adjustments before it debuts at a convention next month. I participated in three games and even won one of them. The other players seemed to have fund and one even played the game twice. And I only found a few minor flaws so I'm a happy camper too.

Then three games of King of Tokyo. I have only played this one twice before and I like it a lot. But even though I think the victory points are what makes it a good game, I simply can't fathom why you'd want to go for a VP victory. I mean, you are giant monsters for chrissakes! You should win by eliminating all opposition, is my philosophy, and luckily that's what I managed to do in the third game.
More
30 Mar 2014 15:15 - 30 Mar 2014 15:17 #174694 by RobertB
I had a game session with the coworkers last night, plus a Mystery Guest friend of a friend.

The FoaF brought a copy of Glory to Rome, and we played that first. Since I won, I now like it a lot. All joking aside, I'd like to get a copy, but it's not worth $70.

Then we played a couple of games of King of Tokyo + expansion. The expansion cards didn't really get a lot of play. I think I saw earlier in a thread that, for the poster, KoT is now the go-to quick game/filler. I can see that.

We wrapped it up with 7 Wonders + Leaders + Cities. They were a lot more excited about 7 Wonders than I was, because for me the game is okay but not great. This was the first time I'd played the expansions, and it was fun.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2014 15:17 by RobertB. Reason: typo
More
30 Mar 2014 16:50 - 30 Mar 2014 16:52 #174695 by repoman
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration

RobertB wrote: I had a game session with the coworkers last night, plus a Mystery Guest friend of a friend.

The FoaF brought a copy of Glory to Rome, and we played that first. Since I won, I now like it a lot. All joking aside, I'd like to get a copy, but it's not worth $70.

70 bucks..bah.

Go with the original art and save yourself some dough. $10 on ebay with the expansion promo cards.

Hell such a good deal I bid on it. Of course I'll get sniped in the last four seconds. But the point is, don't waste time on the sterile black box version. Get the original relatively cheap. The game is fantastic.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2014 16:52 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample
More
30 Mar 2014 17:12 #174698 by hotseatgames
Playtested my game, and then had a game of Elder Sign. We handily kicked Nyarlathotep's ass.
More
31 Mar 2014 07:41 #174709 by Erik Twice
Boardgame night at last!

We started with Liberté, which I like a fair bit despite some problems with its draw mechanism. It was a very vote-heavy game, turns went long and there were lots of fights for a place in the opposition. Only two characters were purged, Terror was never played and generals went to war without issue. Very fun.

Then we played Fiasco and I ended up laughing so hard I had an atshma attack. Let's just sa the game started in a cold, unconnected room in Alaska and ended with mutant interdimensional were-whales fighting a mecha-burocrat, a whale-pee cannon and a marriage with President Obama. Crazy as fuck, I can't wait to get some of the fanmade playsets, the idea of playing the anime convention scenario seems amazing.

And all this while playing with the wrong rules. Everytime I play it I ended up playing it worse but I just love the game.
More
31 Mar 2014 09:33 #174713 by airmarkus
Had a really good weekend for gaming.

Saturday I went to a Netrunner store championship and took 3rd place. Granted, there were only 6 players there but it was good enough to get me a playmat and 3 alternate art Kati Jones cards. I'll take it.

Sunday started off with a 4 player Runewars game. It was one of the quicker games as my friend David lucked out with two cities containing runes right near his home realm and then he got the rest he needed off of influence bids when none of us had any influence. I think the game was an hour and a half, which is really unusual for us. That's the only downfall of the game for me, in that games can be over really quickly without a chance to even fight back if the stars align for someone. Oh well, it's still one of my favorites and I got to beat up a Giant. After that we played Smash Up with all the expansions. I hadn't played with the expansions yet, so I was the guy spending a lot of time trying to figure out my cards. I had one of the Cthulhu factions and the Ninjas. I did fairly well by taking second or first on a lot of bases just by sliding in as it scored by surprise with the Ninja cards. The madness cards were my foil though costing me too many negative points to be close to the winner who had Robots and spies. Smash Up is fun, but I feel like I will need to play a lot to get used to the cards before it plays smoothly for me.

After that two of the players had to leave which left just two of us. Fine by me, because we go to play some two player games which is rare for me. I tried A Few Acres of Snow for the first time and won as the British against the French. It was very close though but I want to try as the French now. It seems like it would be hard to win as the French but I could be wrong. Then we finished off the night with a game of Innovation and two games of Warhammer: Invasion.

Next goal is to get Cyclades to the table. I miss that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack
More
31 Mar 2014 11:50 - 31 Mar 2014 11:50 #174729 by RobertB
@repoman: One just went on ebay for $28 + $5 shipping. I looked at the one you mentioned, and I bet it'll go for that or a little more. My inner cheapskate is thinking $30+ for a used card game is kind of high, but I guess that if I want to play it again, I'm just going to have to pull the trigger on a deal like that.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2014 11:50 by RobertB.
More
31 Mar 2014 12:28 #174737 by repoman
For a game this good that will likely never be reprinted, $30 ain't so bad.
More
31 Mar 2014 12:30 #174738 by Legomancer
After being sick all week and getting no gaming in, I finally had a decent day yesterday.

Started out with Theseus, which I just got. I was excited to try it out and pleased to find it pretty cool. My comments:

I've been interested in this ever since I first heard about it, as I really like Michał Oracz's and Portal Games' Neuroshima Hex. It sounded pretty cool, and looked neat. I was worried about the gaminess of the mancala element, so I'm pleased to find out that it's really not a mancala element at all. This is a tight, puzzly, brutal game with a fair amount of tactics and randomness; a worthy successor to Neuroshima Hex. I played with just two, having heeded the warning to start there and move to more players later. I think that, also like NH, moving to even three players will provide enough instability to keep everyone from being able to really settle in, which I like. Looking forward to more plays of this.

Then was Winner's Circle, which is always a good time. My third race made up for disastrous first and second races (kids, remember where your 0 bid is!), so I didn't completely humiliate myself.

Three of us started Pax Porfiriana after that, which I was sort of teaching to them. For some reason the rules just overwhelmed me and I was flailing around, making no sense. One of the guys had to do a conference call for work for a half hour so I settled myself down and read ahead and was able to get back on track when he came back. I like tableau type games like that and am looking to play more of it. I really liked the feel with three players.

Also while we waited for him we played Magic with some pre-contructed decks someone brought. First time I'd played in years (I had no idea what the Planeswalkers cards did.)

After Pax we all played Cash an Guns which we don't usually play because of some grumpaloons in the group. That's a shame because it's really fun and goofy.

Finally someone taught us Skull and Roses with playing cards. It's a Liar's Dice type game of bluffing, and it's okay -- certainly quicker and dirtier -- but instead of building up to some kind of showdown it just sort of happens over and over and eventually stops. It's okay but nothing special.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.869 seconds