October 09, 2023
2772 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2923 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Castle Ravenloft VS Descent: JitD

More
01 Nov 2010 16:20 #78182 by OldHippy
Jeff White wrote:

I'm not above playing a game with kids, but to me a good game is a good game. Whether it's a 'non-gamer' game, a euro, a kids game, whatever.

Sure, of course I agree with this. It is the PC thing to say after all. But is CR that good a game? It doesn't look like it to me. I have nothing against a kids game or against playing a game with kids. But if it wants to win in a trashdome it better bring it's A game... which 4th edition certainly did not do and CR doesn't look like it makes it any better. Dumbing down dungeon crawls won't bring me back into the dungeon crawl world.. Decent was a step in the right direction, if a little too focused on tactics. CR is a whole bunch of steps in the wrong direction. Like I said orignally, I'd rather just play our old copy of Heroquest with ALL the expansions for tons of replayability. CR fails at it's one task.

Whereas Decent is at least it's own game, it's tough to compare with any dungeon crawl on the market. CR is in a crowded field, Decent is almost all alone. Ilike that it's long because with a thick theme I need time for it to steep.

Final note: it's a trashdome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2010 16:22 #78184 by DeletedUser
Haven't played either and not sure I ever will.

But I'm an FFG fanboy and WotC have pissed me off on numerous occasions, so...

Vote: Descent: JitD

More
01 Nov 2010 16:31 #78187 by metalface13
Descent! For all its big, bloated, awesomeness.

More
01 Nov 2010 17:10 #78194 by mjl1783

"Always" - That much was obvious when folks started saying things like "I'd rather play CR" yet still vote Descent.

I'd rather watch Naughty Nurses Vol. 6 than Gone With the Wind. Doesn't mean I'm going to give the former an Oscar over the latter just because I have a personal preference for it.

More
01 Nov 2010 18:30 #78200 by kookoobah
Used to really really really like Descent, but it's done now. People vote for Descent, but they recognize that there's something missing (or too much of everything) to make it that truly great dungeoncrawl.

Voting for Descent, because of everything that it should've been.

On a sidenote, what is the general consensus on the best dungeoncrawler out there? Close to Descent in complexity, but more fun.

More
01 Nov 2010 19:26 #78205 by Josh Look
Ravenloft all the way.

More
01 Nov 2010 19:34 #78206 by mjl1783

On a sidenote, what is the general consensus on the best dungeoncrawler out there? Close to Descent in complexity, but more fun.

Dungeons & Dragons. End of story.

More
01 Nov 2010 19:39 #78207 by kookoobah
mjl1783 wrote:

Hmm. Does this need lots of prep work? That's what killed WFRP for us. Our GM was a lazy bum who couldn't be bothered to do any work to prepare a fun day of adventure (me).

More
01 Nov 2010 21:56 #78212 by Stormcow
Sure are a lot of people that haven't played Castle Ravenloft around here.

More
01 Nov 2010 23:11 #78213 by Schweig!
kookoobah wrote:

mjl1783 wrote:

Hmm. Does this need lots of prep work? That's what killed WFRP for us. Our GM was a lazy bum who couldn't be bothered to do any work to prepare a fun day of adventure (me).

Sorry, you're screwed. You'll have to play crappy Descent or crappier Ravenloft for the rest of your life.

More
02 Nov 2010 07:16 #78230 by Rliyen
Vote: Descent

More
02 Nov 2010 09:31 #78242 by Matt Thrower
I've been looking with a jealous at at Descent ever since I got back into the gaming hobby, but I've never bought it. Why? Because it takes forever. This is a game genre which is all about building up your character and the idea of playing some sort of Descent campaign seems unrealistic for anyone who can't dedicate their entire lives to it.

CR on the other hand, I played 10 times in the week after I got it.

vote: Castle Ravenloft

More
02 Nov 2010 14:47 #78294 by Mr. White
kookoobah wrote:

Used to really really really like Descent, but it's done now. People vote for Descent, but they recognize that there's something missing (or too much of everything) to make it that truly great dungeoncrawl.

Voting for Descent, because of everything that it should've been.

Advanced Heroquest.

There's even a random dungeon generator table your gm can roll on as you explore the dungeon.

More
06 Nov 2010 14:52 #78715 by ChristopherMD
Castle Ravenloft = 4
Jeff White
Stormcow
Josh Look
MattDP

Descent: Journeys In The Dark = 16
scissors
Ken B.
JonJacob
Columbob
Ska_baron
Mr Skeletor
Sagrilarus
Space Ghost
wkover
mjl1783
hotseatgames
Bulwyf
Death and Taxis
metalface13
kookoobah
Rliyen

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds