October 09, 2023
2579 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2776 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: Jaws vs Star Wars

More
14 Nov 2016 10:54 #238311 by Not Sure
I would say what Jackwraith said, but half as well.

Jaws is the vote.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2016 11:06 #238316 by Thrun
Replied by Thrun on topic CinemaDome: Jaws vs Star Wars

Mr. White wrote: These 70s giants may be two of the most influential films of the modern era. One is credited with igniting the summer blockbuster craze while the other launched films as merchandising platforms.

vs

LOL. I know that Brexit, Cubs and Trump but this is getting ridiculous

More
14 Nov 2016 11:07 #238317 by Michael Barnes
My wife works for Turner Classic Movies so we got in to this big outdoor screening of Jaws a few weeks ago for free. We took the kids. They had no idea. My son was TERRIFIED. It was funny seeing the movie actually work like that after the thrill has long since worn off.

It is a great movie, no doubt, and it is one of the best films from a decade filled to bursting with best films (without a doubt, the 1970s were the greatest era of filmmaking, period). And it is rich with subtleties and character moments, like Robert Shaw telling that harrowing story.

But people get with it. Star Wars. It isn't just a movie, it's a cultural institution. Watching it isn't even like watching a movie anymore, it's like reliving a memory.

You know what I think my favorite moment in SW is? When Luke busts in and says "I'm Luke Skywalker and I'm here to save you". That's such a naïve, innocent moment. He introduces himself and what he's there to do, that's it. No "COME ON WE"VE GOTTAGETOUTTAHERE!" followed by the characters running from an explosion. But there's also kind of subtle, almost giddy emboldening of the character- at that point, he feels like a hero saving the princess and he's expressing that. Its the kind of thing you say when you are playing out in the yard, not when you are under fire on a dangerous life or death mission. I love that.

It's easy to dump on Lucas now, but the writing in Star Wars was really quite good. It is another quintessential 1970s film.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, san il defanso

More
14 Nov 2016 12:14 - 14 Nov 2016 12:25 #238328 by OldHippy
Barnes is right, the writing in Star Wars is fine. I mean, it's garbage, but it's intentional garbage. He wanted to make a cheesy sci-fi flick like the Flash Gordon movies he grew up loving and goddamn if he didn't knock it out of the park. It's the perfect big boy movie and every little kid just fell in love with it. On top of that Alec Guinness is better than Robert Shaw... and not by a couple of inches either. By leaps and bounds. Alec Guinness saves Star Wars in some ways, he makes the entire thing palatable. He brings a sense of class to the film, he lets you take this silly world seriously. Jaws may be the first big blockbuster but Star Wars is the best.

That said, Star Wars is a niche film... still to this day. My Mom has no time for it, Grandma too. Even my wife is supremely uninterested. They aren't being hip, cool or reactionary, they just think it's silly and have no time for it. Nothing against it, the film just does not click for them and the entire thing seems ridiculous. They aren't wrong, but us nerds don't care. I know dozens of people like this.

But everyone likes Jaws. Everyone. Star Wars will never be that film. It happens in space, it's preposterous and the characters are laughable... maybe not to us who grew up loving it but really, look at those characters, the whole thing is silly. Darth Vader... seriously?

I love it, I've seen it more times than I've seen Jaws (Mad Dog's metric is surprisingly convincing) and it's just a ton of fun. No denying it. But I can't shake the feeling that everyone I know who loves Star Wars also loves Jaws... but everyone I know who loves Jaws does not also love Star Wars. Jaws is a universal film on many more levels than Star Wars. Star Wars panders to a certain kind of film nerd whereas Jaws is a true blockbuster. It's for everyone. There's nothing special about it, it's not made for a small subset of nerds... it's a film for everyone about something we call all relate too. I'll never get to see Star Wars with my Mom, but we've watched Jaws a couple of times. There's lots more I can say but you've heard it all before.

I'm going with Jaws... for Mom.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2016 12:25 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Black Barney, mutagen

More
14 Nov 2016 13:11 #238335 by Black Barney
Yes yes yes... Obi-Wan > Quint. Absolutely.
Also, Luke > Brody
the Orca < Millenium Falcon
stupid mechanical Vader > stupid mechanical shark

BUT

Hooper > C-3PO

so,,,,, JAWS

#voterfraud
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
14 Nov 2016 13:11 #238336 by Colorcrayons
Star wars is the trump of this thread. Loud, boisterous and full of bullshit that is fun to watch.

Jaws is the Bernie sanders of this thread. Overlooked for its brilliance by the unwashed fanboys whose attention can't be kept longer than the beat between laser rifle fire.

Vote: Sanders.

More
14 Nov 2016 13:37 #238340 by mutagen
Back when kids were allowed to do this sort of thing, my younger self went across town on two different buses, alone, just to see Star Wars. I did this three times. I wouldn't have gone across the street to see Jaws. Still wouldn't. Sure Jaws is the better film, but Star Wars was the perfect film for a twelve year old. Jaws isn't the perfect film for anybody.

Star Wars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
14 Nov 2016 17:18 #238378 by Ancient_of_MuMu
No idea what you guys are smoking. Star Wars is so clearly the better film, leaving a rich cultural legacy, and from Jaws we get Sharknado.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
14 Nov 2016 17:18 #238379 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic CinemaDome: Jaws vs Star Wars
First of all, this is great pairing, Mr. White! Very tough choice.

I agree with the general gist of the conversation here. Jaws is a better movie. Star Wars is a better movie for a 12 years old. Agreed. .

Truth is, I love them both, even if none of them stars Kurt Russel (although Star Wars was really close, but they opted for that Ford kid in the end... whatever).
I was about to say Jaws, because I'm just a boring, not young, pedantic man (I can't stand the prequels, and Force Awakens, and most parts of the Return of the Jedi..). But... I watched Star Wars for the first time when I was 11 or 12, on a crappy VHS at a neighbor's place, it was a bootleg copy dubbed to Italian (which I don't speak now or back then). I also have to say it was in Soviet Russia in mid eighties. Star Wars was labeled as anti-Soviet propaganda and forbidden (as I later would find out, because of the anti-missile shield program developed by Reagan administration to stop our nukes from hitting US - ancient history). Anyway, my neighbor, my brother and I felt like goddamn criminals just for putting the tape into the VHS. And then... then we saw this world, that had nothing to do with the world that we knew, or communism or capitalism, or anything that we were familiar with. Only later in my life I started to realize that Star Wars was not as original as it seemed to me when I was a kid, that it drew from many influences and rested on several weathered pillars even back in the day. The thing is, I still don't perceive anything derivative about it on the emotional level.

So, for me it's Star Wars, (although Jaws is a better movie) .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, mutagen, Colorcrayons, JEM

More
14 Nov 2016 17:38 - 14 Nov 2016 17:38 #238381 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic CinemaDome: Jaws vs Star Wars
Jaws is a great film if you're suffering from insomnia.

Star Wars is a great film if you like to have fun.

Vote: Star Wars
Last edit: 14 Nov 2016 17:38 by quozl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
14 Nov 2016 17:55 #238386 by mutagen
That was a wonderful story Vlad. It didn't make me as happy as seeing Star Wars as a boy, but I think it's the first time I've smiled in a week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
14 Nov 2016 20:24 #238398 by Black Barney
In Soviet Russia, wars star you!! Soviet citizen!! Enlist today! Or don't, we come get you anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
15 Nov 2016 02:39 #238419 by dave
Replied by dave on topic CinemaDome: Jaws vs Star Wars
Vote: Star Wars - best soundtrack ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, JEM

More
15 Nov 2016 08:07 #238425 by Mr. White
We're at the half-way point and this appears all tied up at 10 apiece.

More
15 Nov 2016 09:17 #238431 by Black Barney
that's cuz the Jaws voters stayed at home thinking this should have been a slam-dunk for the big fish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, san il defanso, sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds