October 09, 2023
2621 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2814 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Agricola vs Zombies!!!

More
29 Mar 2013 03:32 #149010 by Bull Nakano

Shellhead wrote: I really hope that we don't need a new name for this site, like Fortress Agricola.

A single-walled fortress.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2013 03:35 #149011 by Bull Nakano

Space Ghost wrote:

Bull Nakano wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: Zombies!!! if for no other reason that two people can't build fence on the same turn in Agricola. Ridiculous.

Have you ever thought about the disconnect between mechanism and theme in Zombies? The only part of that game that makes any sense is moving your pawn and shooting Zombies.

Zombies are make believe; fence building isn't. And, I know that I have built fence on the same day as my neighbor before. Just one of those little things that rips me out of the experience.

I still contend the best game about farming is THE FARMING GAME.

Zombies could just be called "Bears!!!" and be about a troop of circus bears going mad in a town, bears are real, the game still makes no sense except for shooting bears. Honestly, Bears!!! sounds like a lot more fun. You could probably integrate it with Agricola!!!

More
29 Mar 2013 03:42 - 29 Mar 2013 03:44 #149012 by Schweig!

Bull Nakano wrote: Zombies could just be called "Bears!!!" and be about a troop of circus bears going mad in a town, bears are real, the game still makes no sense except for shooting bears. Honestly, Bears!!! sounds like a lot more fun. You could probably integrate it with Agricola!!!

No bad things ever happen in Agricola except that your neighbour could borrow the village's sole fencing-building hammer when you needed it.

Ah dammit, someone made that joke already! Agricola is so boring, you can't even two good jokes about it.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2013 03:44 by Schweig!.

More
29 Mar 2013 03:47 #149013 by Bull Nakano

Schweig! wrote:

Bull Nakano wrote: Zombies could just be called "Bears!!!" and be about a troop of circus bears going mad in a town, bears are real, the game still makes no sense except for shooting bears. Honestly, Bears!!! sounds like a lot more fun. You could probably integrate it with Agricola!!!

No bad things ever happen in Agricola except that your neighbour could borrow the village's sole fencing-building hammer when you needed it.

Ah dammit, someone made that joke already! Agricola is so boring, you can't even two good jokes about it.

You should have beat him to the tool shed.

More
29 Mar 2013 12:09 #149017 by Shellhead
Agricola doesn't even have a fugg hutt. And it would be a lonely one if it did, because only one worker would be allowed inside at a time. Poor wankers. Actually, that's a pretty good metaphor for the whole game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!, Hatchling

More
29 Mar 2013 12:59 #149020 by wadenels
Last couple times I played Zombies we drank beer, made zombie and gun noises, and had fun for two-or-so hours.

Last couple times I played Agricola we stared intently at the board and cards for two-or-so hours and I got crass looks for stacking my animeeples barnyard style.

Vote: Zombies!!!

More
29 Mar 2013 13:53 #149027 by Bull Nakano

Shellhead wrote: Agricola doesn't even have a fugg hutt. And it would be a lonely one if it did, because only one worker would be allowed inside at a time. Poor wankers. Actually, that's a pretty good metaphor for the whole game.

In Agricola, you modestly choose the "Family Growth" action, as the good lord intended! It's the 17th century, no need to act like primitives anymore. Perhaps you're more interested in the reproduction habits of the barn yard animals?

More
29 Mar 2013 15:04 #149035 by jur

Bull Nakano wrote:

Schweig! wrote:

You should have beat him to the tool shed.

And back.

More
29 Mar 2013 15:19 #149036 by Hatchling
Bah, you Agricola haters don't know what you're talking about. Agricola totally has some theme to it: avoiding starvation or the humiliation of having to beg for food. In fact that's why my spouse doesn't like it (that and the fact that I won the first 2p games we played haha). Agricola reminds her *too much* of real life stress. I totally see that, but I actually enjoy that kind of stress in games, the constant pressure to avoid ruin. Sure, managing scarcity is a euro efficiency exercise, but it also happens IRL and I think Agricola does it way better than any other euro I've tried because it's got a kind of civ-building vibe and if you can time things alright it's cool to see what you managed to pull off in the end.

More
29 Mar 2013 15:28 #149037 by SuperflyPete
If you vote for Agricola, you obviously love cancer.

And I have to point out that those who are voting for something never having played it are CLEARLY asshats who are polluting the sanctity of Trashdome, and you should be banned from the site. You are a clear and present danger to the hobby of board gaming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
29 Mar 2013 16:25 #149042 by Da Bid Dabid
I love cancer. Agricola.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Bull Nakano

More
29 Mar 2013 17:36 - 29 Mar 2013 19:06 #149044 by Dogmatix
I've bought almost all the expansions to both games. Interestingly, I've discovered that, in both cases, little of the expansion material is either necessary or changes the game terribly much.

Money-grab Vote: Push

Zombies doesn't require much thought. Agricola doesn't require much human interaction. As such, both can be played solo without much fuss.

Masturgamer vote: Push

Agricola has spawned a dozen near-clones with equally meaningless names and pasted-on themes: Gates of Loyang, Le Havre, whatever the other one Z-Man produced that came with the half-sized cards, big wheel that you have to disassemble and reassemble differently depending on # of players, and, of course, much whining from bitchy gamers about the previous 2 items.

Zombies has spawned a dozen near-clones with equally ridiculous names with lots exclamation points and plastic bits: Humans!!! Mid-Evil!!! (and I think a couple more that I can't remember off the top of my head).

Game Shop Shelf-space Clogging Vote: Push

Oh dear, this is too close to call! How do we break the tie? Well, for me it boils down to this:

I've used Zombies!!!' plastic Zombies (!!!!) as Agricola family pawns more than once (although they've now been replaced with the fantastic pawns from Clue: The Simpsons edition).

Never once have I even so much as thought "I wonder if this copy of Last Night on Earth could be better with these orange wood discs leftover from Agricola."

Winner: Zombies!!!
Last edit: 29 Mar 2013 19:06 by Dogmatix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
29 Mar 2013 17:51 #149048 by jur

SuperflyTNT wrote: If you vote for Agricola, you obviously love cancer.

And I have to point out that those who are voting for something never having played it are CLEARLY asshats who are polluting the sanctity of Trashdome, and you should be banned from the site. You are a clear and present danger to the hobby of board gaming.

As I have have detailed in my post 'How many times does one have to play to rate Amerigold games? A Proposal' I think that ratings for unplayed games should be automatically set for 7. Too bad the admin closed the thread when Loter and Schweig went mano-a-mano over whether it should be a weak or a strong 7.

More
03 Apr 2013 00:04 #149418 by ChristopherMD
I was worried when I started this T-dome. Worried that this site would once again disappoint me and choose a placid empty shell over something full of action and theme. I'm very happy to report that Zombies!!! has crushed Agricola. Thank you most of my fellow Fatties for showing that you recognize its not about which game is better designed or more strategic. Its about which game is more fun to play.

Agricola (aka list of joyless wankers) = 11
MattLoter
Hatchling
wkover
Bull Nakano
San Il Defanso
Black Barney
moss_icon
JonJacob
dysjunct
DukeofChutney
Da Bid Dabid

Zombies!!! (aka list of cool people to game with) = 16
SuperflyTNT
Dr. Mabuse
TheDukester
Ken B.
hotseatgames
Shellhead
Space Ghost
Rliyen
Schweig!
the_jake_1973
mikecl
jeb
Egg Shen
wadenels
Dogmatix
Mad Dog

More
03 Apr 2013 00:33 #149420 by MattFantastic
Joyless wanker?!?! I challenge you to a party duel sir!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds