October 09, 2023
2853 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2994 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

WBC 2008

More
04 Aug 2008 11:16 #9474 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:WBC 2008
daveroswell wrote:

Put...

How well marked are the new gaming areas? And just how obnoxious is this new "happy funtime funland play area?" I tend to get my room right near that area...

See you tonight sir.

I looked at the map that KingPut brought back with him. They are using the vendor area for open gaming until Friday when the vendors arrive, which means that through Thursday, there is more open gaming space than ever. However, Friday, Sat and Sunday the situation appears dire. They have the upstairs Lobby and the Ballroom Foyer (Jay's Cafe) as the only places designated for multi-player open gaming. Both are high traffic, high noise areas, and not my idea of a good for playing space.

They have two small rooms for two player games, and another room for "Monster Games". It looks as if this year will require a bit more coordination than last year since we can't just show up in Whetland, scan the room an find each other. On the other hand, I have found that it is possible to find very nice,out of the way places to play that are not official open gaming areas. You lose the feel of being where the "action" is, but you get less noise and better light.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2008 11:29 #9476 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:WBC 2008
Having never been before, after registering, where do I head for the Starcraft/TI3 action Wed. morning?

More
04 Aug 2008 23:52 #9500 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:WBC 2008
Ska_baron wrote:

Having never been before, after registering, where do I head for the Starcraft/TI3 action Wed. morning?

Ballroom A, downstairs.

More
11 Aug 2008 17:49 #9812 by daveroswell
Replied by daveroswell on topic Re:WBC 2008
I hope everyone had fun, hope to see everybody next year....

MEGAFAUNA!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

More
13 Aug 2008 19:06 #10041 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:WBC 2008
Overall, WBC was a great time.

The best things about WBC this year:

#14. Trying to be a war gamer with Dr. C by playing Napoleon's Triumph
#13. Playing Tribune with Weber and company
#12. Being teamed up with my step brother and losing 3 games of Shadow Hunter in row.
#11. Last night of WBC playing Perikles with Bobbytweeks, Deuber, Uba and Dr. C
#10. Crushing everyone Playing Rails of Europe
#9. Playing the demo of Rise of Nation with Dr. C and guy from Mayfair games
#8. Being shot with a rocket launcher by Ska Barron (Willow) and then getting dusted by Big Ben "Buffy" Playing Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Quote from Ska Barron "This wasn't the best game I've played today but it was the most fun" Uba's answer "What's the difference"
#7. Me and Dueber blowing up big monsters and dragging Nick out while playing Doom Saturday night Dr. C
#6. StarCraft with Uba and the man
#5. Gaming with QueenPut (Zoolerato, Alhambra, Château and Arkham)
#4. Massive 7 player 5 hour Arkham Horror game Friday night
#3. Playing War of the Ring for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd time. Corrupting Malloc just as he was dunking the ring.
#2. Massive 6 player 6 hour Twilight Imperium 3 game Thursday night. Determining victory conditions for Ameritrash games. #1. Who's drank the most beer, #2. Who's drank the most whisky, #3. Who's had the least amount of sleep.
#1. Having my daughter Ghost complain when we went out for lunch or dinner that it was cutting into her gaming time. Having my daughter spend her own money buying dice. Having her say that WBC was more fun than Disney World.

The 3 worst things about WBC.

#1. Uba and her man totaling their car

#2. Having the Lancaster Host lock us out of our room on Saturday and saying we would have to move hotels. Having to deal with that situation for 45 minutes until the manager looked up our original reservation and realized that they had made a mistake.

#3. Waiting around for people. I felt like I spend a huge amount of time waiting on other people. The worst part of GMing is that you can't start a game because you have to be at a place at 9:00 to start the game. So you wait around for 40 minutes. Then you have to wait around for an hour for the slow games to finish. Then there was the waiting around to start the big massive Arkham Horror and Ti3 games. Than there was waiting on people getting food, drinks, cigarettes or playing other games.

More
15 Aug 2008 14:02 #10155 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:WBC 2008
I was thinking about making your #8 spot (and wishing I'd also come in with #6 too...), and it's true that I think that game ratings really are unable to be divorced from the people you play them with. If I played BtVS with you guys again I *know* I'd have a fuckin blast, but I also *know* that if I played it with tools, that I'd hate it. So there's my great epiphany: People make the games.

That said, I really wish I'd gotten to play more games with you, Uba, Malloc, et al. Next time! But I feel like I was also trapped in waiting for people (or, unfortunately, causing you to wait for me) and having to settle for what opportunities were available. Sucks to that. At Euroquest the only tournament I'll play in is settlers, and even that'll be secondary if there's cool folks to open game with.

Thanks for providing such entertaining rocket fodder!

PS- sounds like you raised PrincessPut right and I agree with her.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds