October 09, 2023
2556 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

OMG! Indy and the Crystal Skulls! OMG! WOW! ***SPOILERS***

More
22 May 2008 19:31 - 22 May 2008 19:31 #6946 by Druen Kree
Hey as long as there is nothing annoying as Kate" I scream thru the whole entire fucking movie" Capshaw and that stupid wisecracking Goonies fuck Short Round I will be happy.
Last edit: 22 May 2008 19:31 by Druen Kree.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2008 19:47 #6948 by Mr Skeletor
There were not that many "im too old" jokes, in fact his age doesn't really play much of a factor, so don't worry about that.

Shortround and Capshaw are way better than some of the companions in this film, whom are given nothing to do. Shia is good though.
And Temple of Doom fucking annialates this film.

More
23 May 2008 02:11 #6958 by Octavian

Temple of Doom fucking annialates this film.

that's because, despite short round and Capshaw, ToD is awesome.

More
23 May 2008 07:02 #6961 by Citadel
The trailer for this film looks appalling. I am glad people are saying its bad. The Indy trilogy is fantastic and I am sure that the Young Indiana Jones movies would have been great. I can't see Indy working well with CGI: everything he did was within the boundaries of believability for what an archeology professor might be able to do. It would be like a Jackie Chan movie with all the fights CGI.

Got to agree on Kate Capshaw and Short Round. The meal scene in the Temple of Doom was one of my favourite scenes when I was eight. Seeing it recently, it just made me cringe.

More
23 May 2008 07:32 #6965 by Schweig!
Michael Barnes wrote:

Then there's Yoda...I _believe_ in Yoda when he's a puppet. When he's flying all over the place in an incomprehensible fight with Dracula, I just think how much of a fucking waste the prequels really are.

Flying Yoda killed the prequels for me.

But the worst sequel ever has got to be Matrix 3 (Revolution). Half of the film you're watching robots getting scrapped in an unbelievable boring way. The other half they are demystifying the first movie.

More
23 May 2008 08:42 #6970 by Ken B.
Words cannot express how deflated I was leaving Matrix: Revolutions. All that mystical mumbo-jumbo shit they dropped on you in Reloaded? Went NOWHERE and the whole movie focused on secondary characters you couldn't give a damn about, like Niobe, the Vasquez clone, and all those bullshit nobody human characters in Zion.

When you saw the Architecht speech in Reloaded, you thought, "Well, that was some double-speaking enigmatic crap, but I'm sure it's leading somewhere."

NOPE.

They just lost the plot along the way...somehow they convinced themselves I gave a rat's ass about the fate of Sgt. Rock and Skateboard kid.

More
23 May 2008 10:46 - 23 May 2008 10:46 #6981 by Michael Barnes
I know it's freakish, but I didn't think the MATRIX sequels were nearly as bad as everyone else did.

RELOADED piled on the mystical nonsense but I saw right through it...they were really trying to make an intellectual action movie. It didn't always work, but they tried. It tipped the balance of the series toward highfalutin academe. There's some really fun ideas that aren't really developed...like all that buisness about werewolves, vampires, etc. being part of the MATRIX story and those guys sitting there watching BRIDES OF DRACULA...I thought the Merovingian was a cool character, the freeway chase was very cool and had plenty of great stuntwork, and overall I thought it wasn't nearly the letdown everyone else did. Neither as groundbreaking or mainstream as the first one. The "burly brawl" or whatever was horrible though.

REVOLUTIONS was like they heard all the people grousing about the academic folderol and tipped it back toward pure action. So it's a pure action movie. I liked the live-action Space Invaders scene, I thought the superhero fight between Smith and Neo was cool (and showed that they should have been doing the Superman movie), and overall It thought it was fun. Trashy, but fun. Aside from the CGI, it had almost a 1989 kind of vibe to it.

Oh, and everything about Zion in all the movies is fucking horrible.

I was going to see Indy tonight, but my wife doesn't want to and my moviegoing buddy hit a deer and totaled his new car...so next week.
Last edit: 23 May 2008 10:46 by Michael Barnes.

More
23 May 2008 10:52 #6982 by Ken B.

Oh, and everything about Zion in all the movies is fucking horrible.

Since seemingly 75% of the third film focuses on Zion, that pretty much seals the deal.

More
23 May 2008 11:11 #6983 by Schweig!
Michael Barnes wrote:

I know it's freakish, but I didn't think the MATRIX sequels were nearly as bad as everyone else did.

I liked Reloaded. There was some cool stuff there. And Animatrix was great!

But Revolutions ... you may call it pure action. To me it was robots falling through a hole and getting shot up. The first movie wasn't pure action, it also had its philosphical bits, the "waking up" process and all those hacker references.

The fight between Neo and Agent Smith (in 3) had too much flying around for my tastes. When compared to the first movie, the flying is really deviant.

I was going to see Indy tonight, but my wife doesn't want to [...]

Why, because Skeletor hates the film?

More
23 May 2008 11:17 #6984 by ChristopherMD
I didn't think the Matrix sequels were as bad as everyone else did either. But I also never expected them to reveal the secrets of the universe to me. Basically the Wack Bros. are big fans of wuxia and anime movies and they tried to bring the stuff they liked from those to American audiences. Kung-fu, chi powers (i.e. defying physics), giant mecha, cyber stuff, tentacles, a kid, philosophy, etc. They may not have always succeeded, but compare them to any pre-Crouching Tiger wuxia and they're great.

More
23 May 2008 12:11 #6985 by Shellhead
Internet Groupthink has declared that Matrix: Reloaded sucked, but that's a retcon. I remember walking out of a packed theater at the end of that movie, and everybody was pretty happy, except about the cliffhanger ending. Sure, the Zion scenes were dodgy, and the apocryphal academic stuff sailed over many heads, including my own. But the fight scenes were mostly great, and the car chase was one of the best I've ever seen. And they built a freaking freeway just to film that scene!

More
23 May 2008 12:26 #6988 by Michael Barnes
If the MATRIX sequels had come out before Internet Groupthink ruined everything in the world (for example, in the 1980s) they'd be regarded as classics.

If RAIDERS, STAR WARS, or anything like that came out today...and just a few online pundits took shots at it...they'd fall victim to that ridiculous "everything sux" internet cynicism that plagues all media these days.

More
23 May 2008 12:45 #6991 by Schweig!
If Matrix 3 came out in the 1980s the movie might actually have a plot.

Quiet frankly though, I didn't know the Matrix sequels had such a bad reputation given I don't read movie sites. Well, as I said the second one was cool.

More
23 May 2008 13:31 #6996 by Ken B.
It wasn't groupthink in my case...I left REVOLUTIONS feeling as if I'd been punched in the stomach.

I did and still do enjoy RELOADED, even though honestly the third movie made it a worse film somehow...just knowing that so much of that stuff goes nowhere.

The freeway chase is incredible, though. The action scenes are top notch. One of my favorite parts is the blade and fist fight inside of a car. That must've been a bitch to choreograph.

More
23 May 2008 17:01 #7005 by Octavian
Schweig! wrote:

But the worst sequel ever has got to be Matrix 3 (Revolution).

Agreed...not only because it was itself a bad movie, but it retroactively turned Reloaded into a bad sequel!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds