October 09, 2023
2629 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2821 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Seriously....Nickelback.

More
30 Apr 2009 15:57 #27460 by vandemonium
Oh for fucks sake. Really? Let's pick on Nickleback? We are all way to fucking cool for "corporate rock." Uhg.

I am not a fan of Nickleback per se, but I like most of their radio singles. I also like Creed, Boston, and Kiss. I grew up on 80's hair metal. So fucking what?

It is not a sin to like happy-go-lucky music sometimes. All the "corporate" bands or bands that have been accused thereof have a purpose. It is not to use weird chord progressions and extol the virtues of the rarest fucking scale they just learned and modified after a retreat in Mongolia. Fuck. Sometimes it is just FUN to blast your radio to Journey man. What could be more Ameritrash than that? FUN! Music can be fucking FUN, it doesn't have to be arty and "cool." It doesn't have to have social commentary, or emotional gravitas. There is a place for that as well, but you know, I can only take Sonic Youth or King Crimson for so long...

Sheesh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2009 16:01 #27461 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:Seriously....Nickelback.
Infidel!

More
30 Apr 2009 16:01 #27462 by Black Barney
aw c'mon, man. Boston and KISS are SO MUCH better than Nickelback and Creed.

I don't think we'll be talking about those last two a decade from now the way that we still talk about Boston and KISS

More
30 Apr 2009 16:12 - 30 Apr 2009 16:14 #27464 by vandemonium
Juniper wrote:

Infidel!

Yea, what else is new?

Black Barney wrote:

aw c'mon, man. Boston and KISS are SO MUCH better than Nickelback and Creed.

I don't think we'll be talking about those last two a decade from now the way that we still talk about Boston and KISS

Actually I'd be willing to put money on the fact that these four are almost exactly analogous.

I play guitar and "serious" guitar players like Robert Fripp, and Steve Vai and blah blah blah but dammit, can you hum a Steve Vai song? Can you? At least Fripp has a notion of melody. Look there is nothing "redeeming" about any of these bands, but dammit, if you can't kick back and just rock out once in awhile I think you need to seriously look into a colonic treatment.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2009 16:14 by vandemonium.

More
30 Apr 2009 16:48 #27473 by dysjunct
So Van, you're saying that Nickelback is not the best music ever, but is okay sometimes and not especially offensive.

So basically, Nickelback is a 7?

More
30 Apr 2009 16:51 #27474 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:Seriously....Nickelback.
Sounds interesting. I may be willing to trade for a copy.

More
30 Apr 2009 16:57 #27476 by clockwirk
vandemonium wrote:

I play guitar and "serious" guitar players like Robert Fripp, and Steve Vai and blah blah blah but dammit, can you hum a Steve Vai song? Can you?

Actually, I can. But Steve Vai is not about hummable melody like Satriani is. Steve Vai is about guitar playing with personality.

The problem with Nickleback & Creed is that they take themselves so damn seriously, like they're the heirs of the 90's grunge movement or something. They pose as being all hard and troubled and serious when really they're just part of a corporate business plan to make their next song sound exactly like their last one. There's nothing FUN or ROCKING about that at all.

More
30 Apr 2009 17:00 #27478 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:Seriously....Nickelback.
I <3 www.pandora.com

It plays me no Nickleback.

More
30 Apr 2009 17:02 #27479 by Ska_baron
clockwirk wrote:

vandemonium wrote:

I play guitar and "serious" guitar players like Robert Fripp, and Steve Vai and blah blah blah but dammit, can you hum a Steve Vai song? Can you?

Actually, I can. But Steve Vai is not about hummable melody like Satriani is. Steve Vai is about guitar playing with personality.

The problem with Nickleback & Creed is that they take themselves so damn seriously, like they're the heirs of the 90's grunge movement or something. They pose as being all hard and troubled and serious when really they're just part of a corporate business plan to make their next song sound exactly like their last one. There's nothing FUN or ROCKING about that at all.

hahaha - and you're forgetting: Nickleback sucks.

More
30 Apr 2009 17:07 #27482 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Seriously....Nickelback.
dysjunct wrote:

So Van, you're saying that Nickelback is not the best music ever, but is okay sometimes and not especially offensive.

A firmly erect, badly inneundo-laden 7.

More
30 Apr 2009 17:53 #27489 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:Seriously....Nickelback.
Nickelback sucks. Case closed. All of the emotion in any of their songs is pure bullshit. Even if I were to jump up on stage and kick each member of the band in the sac (With steel toed boots no less), they still coudn't muster enough real agnst or feeling to not suck.

-Will

More
30 Apr 2009 19:31 #27493 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:Seriously....Nickelback.
Ah, they're not that bad. Nothing I'd choose if I had my druthers, but if their Dimebag Darrell song or that animals thing is on the radio, I'll listen to it. It's just riff rock, it won't hurt ya'.

More
30 Apr 2009 21:27 #27497 by vandemonium
Ken B. wrote:

dysjunct wrote:

A firmly erect, badly inneundo-laden 7.

Is Nickelback not elegant enough for you guys? Too fiddly? Could you not get the jewel box open?

Boo fucking hoo.

mjl1783 wrote:

Ah, they're not that bad. Nothing I'd choose if I had my druthers, but if their Dimebag Darrell song or that animals thing is on the radio, I'll listen to it. It's just riff rock, it won't hurt ya'.

Dear lord, someone with some sense! Exactly.

They are sing along bubble gum. And that ain't all bad. But you know what, Every rose has its thorn, just like every night has its dawn, just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song.

xoxoxo

More
30 Apr 2009 21:53 #27502 by OldHippy
I'll say this for them.

Chad Krouger (however the fuck you spell that name) is ugly, can't sing very well, can't play that great either... but he creates hit after hit after hit. The guy is an unstopable hit machine. He understands pop music.

I read an interview once where he said that after their first album was successfull he analyzed all the hits to see why they worked and then tried to re-produce that.

Well, he did it I guess, for whatever that's worth.

Their drummer went to school in Edmonton with a buddy of mine and is actually a pretty good jazz drummer, not that he ever shows it in the songs I've heard.

Canada has given the world some awesome musicians and songwriters.

Song Writers:

Leonard Cohen
Neil Young
Stan Rodgers
Bob Wiseman
Gordon Lightfoot

Musicians:

Glenn Gould
Lenny Breau
Kevin Briet
Andrew Collins

and that's just a few...

But you have to care. Pop music serves a different purpose then other forms of music. Pop music is for humming along, not caring, and maybe some dancing...

Academic Music serves it's own purpose and so does underground (pop) music. To each their own.

That said, America, I'm sorry for Nickleback but if you listen to the radio all day it's your own fucking fault.

I also heard that Chad's favorite band right now is Mastodon, so I cut him a little slack because Mastodon has put out four awesome albums!!

More
02 May 2009 01:16 #27624 by Forelle
Replied by Forelle on topic Re:Seriously....Nickelback.
C'mon, y'all just aren't getting into the spirit of the thing. Songs about strippers and such sound a hell of a lot better down at the strip club.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds